PDA

View Full Version : Gleeok's Nth quest

James24
10-14-2019, 02:49 AM
Challenge quest fans will be happy to know that I've finished testing and modifying Gleeok's Nth quest entry. Gleeok is inactive and on his behalf I've submitted it for the 6th quest contest. You can download it on my channel there.

https://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?98473-20th-Anniversary-Quest-Contest

Please note that I've modified the quest to include the lens of truth, spacebar maps and the clues people give are more overt. If you are a diehard Z1 fan, feel free to ignore these extras but I warn you that the game will not be fun to play without them. Finally, the difficulty is like IoR on hero mode and Armageddon Quest. Not for the faint of heart.

BurgerKingCenturion
10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
where is the channel and the quest?

James24
10-24-2019, 12:39 AM
Once you get into the discord server, look down the left hand side for "James-Dev" and then click on the pin icon at the top right corner of your screen. If this doesn't work let me know and I can send it to you directly.

Nightmare
10-24-2019, 04:38 PM
This is a worthy cause. Best of luck.

-James

James24
10-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Thanks Nightmare but I know that it has next to 0 chance of winning unless no one else bothers writing a "good" quest. I did it mainly because I like Gleeok's work and I think it would be a tragedy if it wasn't finished - and its a great quest if you're the right kind of player. Also, I know that he would want to enter the competitiont so I did it for him.

Chris Miller
10-27-2019, 08:33 AM
We gotta get more Type A players in here. Or was it Type B?

ZoriaRPG
10-27-2019, 08:37 AM
I'm shocked that no-one pinged Gleeok here to see if we can get him to respond.

James24
10-27-2019, 11:26 PM
Type A is all on pure Chris Miller. They don't want anything to do with Type B players especially type B who loves old NES Zelda too. Oh god - that's the worst combination ever - type B and old NES Zelda fan.

As for Gleeok, for all we know he had a heart attack and has joined Glenn. Sad.

DarkFlameSheep
10-29-2019, 08:19 PM
James24, did you mean now Gleeok is on heaven,or doesn't?

Strong stress and excitation are a strong burden to heart. Keeping to play very hard or challenging games causes very strong stress and excitation, and decreases player's lifetime.

MasterSwordUltima
10-29-2019, 10:53 PM
James24, did you mean now Gleeok is in heaven,or not?

Strong stress and excitation are a strong burden to heart. Keeping to play very hard or challenging games causes very strong stress and excitation, and decreases player's lifetime.

J'ai l'impression que ce gars n'est pas un anglophone natif.

Oh wait, is there a rule about only writing in english? I should probably know that after...two decades?? Yikes.

DarkFlameSheep
10-29-2019, 11:31 PM
J'ai l'impression que ce gars n'est pas un anglophone natif.Wow, did you guess I'm French!? You got it wrong!

I would like to hear about Gleeok.

Also, I think the classic (old NES type quest) category should be set on 20th Anniversary Quest Contest.

James24
10-30-2019, 01:40 AM
I don't know what's happened to Gleeok. I was merely suggesting that he was in heaven as a possibility as to why we haven't heard from him. To a challenge quest player stress and excitation are things we thrive on and strive to put in our quests. They come with the territory and we absolutely love them. Also if the old NES type quest category was set on the quest contest I don't think the younger generation would be trying to compete right now. Reality is that the days of old NES Zelda selling to the masses is well and truly over.

DarkFlameSheep
10-30-2019, 03:19 AM
Thank you for answers, James. We need some stress and excitation to progress, also I enjoy hardcore or challenging things sometimes.

MasterSwordUltima
10-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Wow, did you guess I'm French!? You got it wrong!

Well the part about you potentially not being a native english speaker was correct. It was an immature way for me to try to decipher what you were trying to say. I apologize.

VEL
10-30-2019, 03:27 PM
I just checked Gleeok's profile it said...
Last Activity 10-05-2019 05:03 AM

DarkFlameSheep
10-30-2019, 07:39 PM
Well the part about you potentially not being a native english speaker was correct. It was an immature way for me to try to decipher what you were trying to say. I apologize.No problem, I think stress and excitation things made misunderstanding.

Also, I suddenly lost interest for ZC several times, and didn't see even PureZC mostly until a few months ago.

ZoriaRPG
11-01-2019, 10:44 AM
I just checked Gleeok's profile it said...
Last Activity 10-05-2019 05:03 AM

Hmm. It would be nice if he chimed in, unless that date is due to WL porting the server.

VEL
11-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Hmm. It would be nice if he chimed in, unless that date is due to WL porting the server.
I checked a bunch of random inactive members and they had much older dates, some over a decade ago.

James24
11-02-2019, 12:26 AM
Does 10-5-2019 mean 10th of May 2019 or 5th of October 2019? If the last date he was active was 10th of May 2019 then that corresponds to roughly the time which I last heard from him.

VEL
11-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Does 10-5-2019 mean 10th of May 2019 or 5th of October 2019? If the last date he was active was 10th of May 2019 then that corresponds to roughly the time which I last heard from him.

I figure it must be 5th of October since it lists his join date as "04-22-2007"

James24
11-02-2019, 10:30 PM
If he really was active on 5th of October then he most certainly would have taken over authorship of his quest for the quest contest. I know that he was really keen on entering his quest.

Gleeok
11-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Hey-o!

Thanks for the heads up James24, I appreciate it. Get back to you later.

Yeah, I haven't been active much the last year, but don't you guys worry about me, I'm keeping busy. Moving out East next spring as well. As a rule of thumb you have to PM me when I'm inactive, sorry about that.

Wait, there's a 6th quest now? I'll have to submit the bugfixed OG quest for that - and yes, it's just as hard!

Anyway, it's late here right now and I'm off to sleep. Will look into it later. Thanks again to James24 for testing this quest! Without him the quest would likely not be playable and/or complete. It's on my todo list to release it still, I swear. :P

James24
11-29-2019, 10:02 PM
No worries Gleeok. I just hope you're agreeable with the changes I made especially putting in the lens and spacebar maps. I know they aren't part of old school Zelda but I don't think your quest is reasonably playable without them. They don't have any real impact on the game and the difficulty except to allow the player to see unmarked, arbitrary and mandatory secrets which I don't think are very fun things.

Not that anyone really cares for old school Zelda - especially hard old school Zelda - its a quest made for you, me and a handful of other players only.

ZoriaRPG
02-15-2020, 12:12 AM
Gleeok James24

I have a report that one of the gleeok bosses in the entry is using tile 0 for the enemy heads. Is this intentional, a bug in the quest, or a bug that crept in from new .dats?

This is a fire gleeok behind a walkthrough wall with no new paths. There are several walk walls that lead to seemingly disused or scrapped area, and some water combo cset bugs on the overworld that were noted, plus lens hints that are false (revealing staircase secrets that cannot be triggered).

The contest is in Phase II (Closed Playtesting) and there are a number of bug reports to address for the entry.

James24
02-09-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure whether or not Gleeok intended the room you're referring to to be in the quest so when I was patching it up I left it in. I think it was meant to be taken out but I wasn't 100% sure so it stayed. It doesn't really matter because it has no effect on the game except that its a brutal fight if you attempt it with no rewards. I patched up the false lens readings in the quest discord with a later version, but it seems that only the original version of the quest with the bugs was distributed. It all doesn't really matter anyway, no one likes challenge quests and with all due respect to Gleeok, it will never win.

bigjoe
03-02-2021, 08:02 AM
The end of any James24 post: sad lamentation about how no one will ever play a challenge quest, despite the fact that many people do enjoy them.

James24
03-02-2021, 12:49 PM
I'm simply stating a true fact and the results of this contest prove it. Both Gleeok and Glenn's quests are challenge like quests and didn't fare well. If I had spent time testing, beautifying and "fixing" them (I don't see any bugs despite what other say) then it would all have been for nothing. Good thing I had the foresight not to.

bigjoe
03-02-2021, 01:36 PM
Were it my way any nth quest would not go beyond being a bigger/badder variation on the nth quest before it. I agree that Gleeok's is more successively difficult than fifth and would have probably been a good fit.

James24
03-02-2021, 11:43 PM
The best thing about Zelda Classic and its biggest selling point should be that a quest maker can do whatever they want, however they want, whenever they want for whoever they want to entertain. That is the magic of Zelda Classic. You can do ANYTHING you like. When someone asks a quest maker how they can put up making quests for free then this should be their answer - their complete independence. They are not constrained or restricted in any way or beholden to what the audience thinks is "good" or "right" way of making a game. Gleeok took this to heart and made his game his way - not caring about the opinions or reactions of others who played it. If it won the 6th quest contest then that's an added bonus but not a motivation for making his quest.

Constraints upon the quest maker can only be realistically enforced if they are being paid by the person or people they are performing for. When people try and put constraints on themselves they end up cancelling quests like we see in the 6th quest contest. Only 4 people completed despite the numerous entrants.

Gleeok
03-05-2021, 11:53 PM
That silly Gleeok, always making stupid-hard quests and then never finishing them. XD

I actually made this for the 5th quest but never entered it because there was already a huge turnout for that contest. It was basically a fun quest - I always wanted to do a 5th->Nth style NES quest but never got around to it.

But now comes the best part: playing through your own quest after a couple of years and forgetting where everything is!! :) ... Shoot, it's probably going to be hard as well. At least that's what I keep hearing...

James24
03-06-2021, 11:22 PM
Hey Gleeok, long time no see.

Yeah, I finished your Nth quest for you. It was a real beauty. A real beauty to us players who love a good challenge that is.

As for the 6th quest contest - the quest didn't do so well as we expected. In fact, I think it finished last and I think its not going to be put in Zoria's module. Nightmare streamed it and he was cursing most of the way - you should see it and have a laugh. He especially blew his top on level 3 and level 8 where he got stuck on the bomb puzzle. ZCfan got a maxed death counter.

The version you're seeing on the 6th quest contest isn't the most up to date. I can send you my most up to date version if you want to play it.