PDA

View Full Version : Worst movie on a video game?

justwilliams
07-21-2019, 02:46 AM
Just as there are video games based on movies, there have also been a great deal of movies that were based on video games. So, I want to invite people to weigh on on what, in their opinion, what was the worst ever movie that was based on a video game, and if you like, the reason behind it.

For me, I'd have to say one of the overall worst was Super Mario Bros. I'd say watch the movie to see why it was so bad, but I'd rather not subject anyone to that.

TheDarkOne
07-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. If you have seen it, you know the reason. If you haven't seen it, don't do it. That movie was an insult to anything under the Mortal Kombat name, including the first movie.

Chris Miller
07-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. If you have seen it, you know the reason. If you haven't seen it, don't do it. That movie was an insult to anything under the Mortal Kombat name, including the first movie.

That was one of those rare movies that was so bad, that it made me chuckle throughout the whole thing and actually end up enjoying it.

TheDarkOne
07-21-2019, 05:31 PM
That was one of those rare movies that was so bad, that it made me chuckle throughout the whole thing and actually end up enjoying it.I have seen movies that I thought were so bad they were good. This was not one of them. This film made Street Fighter look better.

mrz84
07-22-2019, 08:59 AM
I have to agree that the second MK movie sucked more than a vacuum cleaner. I now have to apologise to the vacuum cleaner for associating it with that horrible movie.

TheDarkOne
07-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Then there was of course Street Fighter. Rumors has it, Capcom made "Street Fighter II - The Animated Movie" afterwards as a way of saying "This is the way the story really goes."

mrz84
07-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Honestly, I didn't have an issue with SF up until I was in high school and realized they had changed so much from the original games that it just hurt to watch it anymore. Probably because I didn't have much interest in the games until after the movie, which ironically nhas a game and it is unironically just as bad as the movie.

And don't get me started on the dumpster fire that was Doom.

TheDarkOne
07-23-2019, 11:46 AM
The Doom movie has very little connection to the game, except for that one sequence in first-person perspective to make it look like the game. I really though the game's story could have made for a better movie than what we got. I'm guessing the writers never even played the game for more than a few minutes.

And what about the one that started it all...Super Mario Bros. If I had seen that in the theater, I would have walked out and asked for my money back.

Nightmare
07-26-2019, 02:50 AM
Super Mario Bros., hands down. At least MK: Annihilation had some bit of degree to stay a mix of MK2/3 (even though it was a mess). Super Mario Bros. might not only be the worst video game movie, but the worst MOVIE ever, at least in my eyes.

-James

4matsy
07-26-2019, 03:03 AM
Yeah, just...nothing tops SMB. That husband and wife team that directed it may well have been on shrooms themselves during the whole ordeal, you never know. Can't trust anyone. :blah:

TheDarkOne
07-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Have there been any good movies based on video games? I suppose it depends on what is meant by "good." If you mean it follows to storyline of the game, then there aren't many of those. If, however, it doesn't really follow the story of the game exactly, but is still a good movie in its own right, I can think of a couple. The first Mortal Kombat movie and Double Dragon.

Nightmare
08-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Mortal Kombat, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, Destiny Deoxys, and Detective Pikachu.

Can't really recommend any others ATM.

-James

TheDarkOne
08-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Apart from Mortal Kombat, I haven't seen any of those. Detective Pikachu sounds like it might be worth a look just for pure morbid curiosity.

mrz84
08-11-2019, 09:45 AM
It's hard to go wrong with basically Deadpool as the titular character. Not seen it myself (yet) , but everyone I know keeps telling me if you like Pokemon you need to see it.

King Aquamentus
08-11-2019, 01:51 PM
saw Detective Pikachu and it was alright. hardly worst movie content.

TheDarkOne
08-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Has anyone seen the Battleship movie? I know that's technically not actually a video game but there are video game versions of it. I never saw it but I heard it sucked like Kirby on steroids.

mrz84
08-18-2019, 07:03 PM
I heard it tanked and honestly I'm not surprised as the concept of making a board game with no story into a 1 hr+ movie just sounds like it would be horrible no matter how you spin it.

TheDarkOne
08-19-2019, 04:43 PM
With Battleship, they could write their own story around it just so long as it actually involves ships battling. It would be hard to make that the main focus of a movie but if there's a good story to tie it all together it might work. My understanding is that the movie had a weak storyline and very little of actual ship battles.

Did anyone besides me like the Double Dragon movie? I'll admit it has very little connection with the game, but then again the same can be said of the Saturday morning cartoon they tried to base on it as well. I think I liked the movie because a) I liked the game and b) Alyssa Milano.

mrz84
08-26-2019, 01:53 AM
The Double Dragon movie and cartoons were something my brothers and I liked to watch, though not near as much as the Mario and Zelda cartoons or the various pre-Sonic Underground Sonic cartoons. Captain N was another favorite along with the Mega Man cartoon though the former didn't focus on 1 specific game.

PinkFairy
08-26-2019, 10:41 PM
I never really watched the Mario and Zelda cartoons. When I was a kid (showing my age here), the only cartoon based on a video game that we had was Pac-Man, and then later Saturday Supercade. I think that was the first animated version of Mario (in the Donkey Kong segment).

mrz84
08-27-2019, 09:59 AM
I only vaguely remember the Pac-Man cartoon, didnt watch it very often. Can't remember that other one though...gonna have to Google that to jog my memory.

PinkFairy
08-27-2019, 10:29 PM
It was a good show, or at least it started out that way. My favorite segments were Q*Bert and Frogger, not just because those were two of my favorite games. It was also because they were entertaining to watch, especially considering that neither game had much of a plot. For instance, WHY was Q*Bert trying to change those cube colors, and why were the purple guys so dead set on preventing him from doing it? Frogger was trying to get across the street and river to his home, but what was he doing all the way on the opposite side in the first place?

TheDarkOne
08-28-2019, 04:52 PM
@PinkFairy (https://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=61623) I liked Supercade too until they got rid of some of the better ones in favor of some new ones, like an obscure game called Kangaroo and the Pole Position segment which I considered a very bad interpretation of the game. It's racing, not stunt driving.
@mrz84 (https://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38704) I didn't like Captain N at all, especially since I was a fan of the Castlevania game and hated their portrayal of Simon Belmont. Plus I thought the storylines were kind of stupid. And how can they have Mother Brain but not Samus Aran?

EDIT: I remembered that wrong: Pole Position was its own show, not a segment on Supercade.

TheDarkOne
03-25-2020, 10:14 PM
It’s been a long time since anyone has posted in this thread, but I’m going to bring up one I just saw recently that was supposedly based on Tekken. That was the title and as far as I could tell that was all it has in common with the game. I remember an animated movie (direct-to-video) that was much closer to the game. They should have left well enough alone.

Thulcedoom
03-27-2020, 07:58 AM
I thought Assassin's Creed was pretty bad. Using drugs and technology to regress humans to past lives was a horrible idea. And the level of detail shown in those "memories" was unbelievable.

TheDarkOne
03-27-2020, 08:36 PM
The Resident Evil movies certainly don’t have much connection tp the game. I really hated the way they portrayed Claire Redfield. And no Leon? He’s the best RE character by far!

mrz84
03-29-2020, 02:04 AM
The first movie was ok despite its deviation from the original game's plot while the second RE movie was slightly worse but I like what they did with Nemesis. However the movies should have ended there or given to another director. I fear for the Monster Hunter movie because not only is the same director involved but his wife is of course been included and will no doubt be given top billing of the cast and the plot from what has been revealed involves A United Nations military team falls into a portal to an alternate world, where Hunters fight giant monsters. Two groups work together to defend the portal, thwarting monsters from entering and invading Earth. Also they want to make multiple films.

I think Capcom needs to rethink their standards for video game movies.

TheDarkOne
03-29-2020, 06:02 PM
You think Capcom would have learned their lesson from Street Fighter, but no, because Legend of Chun Li (although I did think Michael Clarke Duncan was a good choice to play Balrog). They seem to give way too much creative license to the people who want to turn their games into movies.