PDA

View Full Version : Glitches in ZC?

masternoxx
10-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Greetings this is masternoxx I have been a ZC fan a long time and I am the contributor/modifier of the palette fixed demo tileset, which I uploaded but I dont think was ever put up for dl, anyways

I watched a video yesterday of this guy speedrunning a world record time in zelda 1 nes, and he used a couple glitches including a screen scroll glitch common to many NES games, and a block clipping glitch. If you don't know the glitches you could watch the video its on youtube.

I am curious do these glitches exist in ZC? If so can they be turned on or off? thanks

Chris Miller
10-26-2018, 10:23 PM
The screen scroll glitch only exists in the NES version of Zelda 1, and has to do with the way scrolling is coded. From a programming standpoint, Zelda Classic has absolutely nothing to do with the original, since Zelda 1 was written in 6502 assembly code.

EDIT: To plug my youtube channel in as a cheap a manner as possible, here's a video of me playing Zelda 1 on an emulator, and using the glitch to clip through blocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGhblQ66Ns

masternoxx
10-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Yes thank you .. I was under the impression there were 2 different glitches...
One he somehow pushes left on the d-pad while going out the screen to the right, which I have seen used on other NES games. And he winds up on the screen to the left...
The other one there is a block above him and he thrusts down with the sword and pushes to the left near the end of the animation and link goes thru the block.
So niether of these can be done in ZC? Because I noticed there was a lot of nes fixes in the menu but didn't see those.

ZoriaRPG
10-28-2018, 07:37 AM
Yes thank you .. I was under the impression there were 2 different glitches...
One he somehow pushes left on the d-pad while going out the screen to the right, which I have seen used on other NES games. And he winds up on the screen to the left...
The other one there is a block above him and he thrusts down with the sword and pushes to the left near the end of the animation and link goes thru the block.
So niether of these can be done in ZC? Because I noticed there was a lot of nes fixes in the menu but didn't see those.

We briefly discussed some of these NES-specific speedrun bugs in the past, but ultimately, it isn't worth trying to implement in ZC.

It would make more sense to try to script them.