PDA

View Full Version : Level 9 wipe out

69phil
12-13-2017, 10:25 AM
After getting to level 9 the game stops and my saved game is lost and I have to start at level 1 again. What am I doing wrong?

Gleeok
12-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Are you a bot?

RE: No idea. You have to elaborate.

69phil
12-13-2017, 12:17 PM
My wife plays Zelda on her laptop and all I hear is a scream and some curse words and she tells me she got to level 9 and after playing for a while the game stopped and she was no longer listed as a player and her name and previous game were no longer shown on the opening screen.
Phil

Gleeok
12-14-2017, 06:53 AM
I see.

Sounds like a save file problem.? I'm guessing you are on Windows, and the save file got deleted?

Make sure the ZC folder is not in a read-only directory and you run Zelda Classic as an administrator for starters. Try to save early and reload to make sure it is able to save the game.

69phil
12-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes, it's a windows 10 laptop. I changed the files from read only and lanched as an administrator. She is at level 8 so I'll know soon.
Thanks
Phil

69phil
01-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Hi Gleeok,
She got up to level 2 dungeon 8. Then the game went back to the start screen. This happened twice. She saves all the time. Any ideas?
I always open as administrator and the files are not read-only.
69Phil

ZoriaRPG
01-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Hi Gleeok,
She got up to level 2 dungeon 8. Then the game went back to the start screen. This happened twice. She saves all the time. Any ideas?
I always open as administrator and the files are not read-only.
69Phil

Phil, does saving work prior to Level 9?

If you save, exit, quit say, in Level 2; then reopen ZC; does that work?

I can't imagine why L9 would be in any way special, with regard to saving.

What version of ZC are you using?

Also, by 'level 2 dungeon 8', do you mean the second quest, Level 8? I'm not clear on what you are trying to express.

69phil
01-06-2018, 01:51 AM
She is using ZC-2-50-win. Yes, I mean the second quest, Level 8. She can get back in the game but she'll lose her saved game and have to start over. Is it possible she is hitting 2 buttons at the same time on the Xbox 360 type controller and that is causing a restart and game delete?

ZoriaRPG
01-07-2018, 07:38 AM
She is using ZC-2-50-win. Yes, I mean the second quest, Level 8. She can get back in the game but she'll lose her saved game and have to start over. Is it possible she is hitting 2 buttons at the same time on the Xbox 360 type controller and that is causing a restart and game delete?

Please post the internal build ID under Etc->About / Misc->About. Valid build IDs are 24, 28, 29. You should be using 2.50.2 (build 29), as earlier builds could very easily have issues with .sav files. The information is in the About dialogue, in the right-most menu in ZC

I also need an answer to a key question from my earlier reply..., and the answer is important, to help you with this:

If she saves in an earlier level, then quits, relaunches, and loads the save file, what happens?

You can test this on Level 1. ;)

There is no button combination in ZC that would cause what you are describing to occur.

What I might suspect, is that the ag.cfg file has force_exit force_quit set to 1, or that you are using an old version (2.50.0, build 24), which may have issuesin its saving routine.

Please post your settings from that file--it is plain text, and opens in notepad.exe, and verify your version.

You are also welcome to try the 2.53 beta, which may be better:

(It would be helpful if whomever is using ZC could communicate these issues, too; rather than relaying this.)

ZoriaRPG
01-07-2018, 07:41 AM

Please post the internal build ID under Misc->About. Valid build IDs are 24, 28, 29. You should be using 2.50.2 (build 29), as earlier builds could very easily have issues with .sav files. The information is in the About dialogue, in the right-most menu in ZC

I also need an answer to a key question from my earlier reply..., and the answer is important, to help you with this:

If she saves in an earlier level, then quits, relaunches, and loads the save file, what happens?

You can test this on Level 1. ;)

There is no button combination in ZC that would cause what you are describing to occur.

What I might suspect, is that the ag.cfg file has force_exit force_quit set to 1, or that you are using an old version (2.50.0, build 24), which may have issuesin its saving routine.

Please post your settings from that file--it is plain text, and opens in notepad.exe, and verify your version.

You are also welcome to try the 2.53 beta, which may be better:
2.53b11 (http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc/zc_dev/2.53_Win_Beta_11.zip)

(It would be helpful if whomever is using ZC could communicate these issues, too; rather than relaying this.)

69phil
01-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Hi ZoriaRPG,
She is using build 29.
force_exit = 0
To clarify how it happens: She saves her game, doesn't close the game or shut down the laptop, and when she returns to play the game her name is missing.
The next time this happens I will load the beta for her.
69Phil

ZoriaRPG
01-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Hi ZoriaRPG,
She is using build 29.
force_exit = 0
To clarify how it happens: She saves her game, doesn't close the game or shut down the laptop, and when she returns to play the game her name is missing.
The next time this happens I will load the beta for her.
69Phil

Please verify that this happens in any level, and not specific to level 9. Please also specify if this happens with the first quest, second quest, or both.

Before she plays, please have her note the date and time when zc.sav was last modified, then after saving, see if the 'last modified' date and time change. That will let us all know if ZC is actually trying to save the game. Obviously, if that isn't happening, then it might still be a permissions issue--perhaps a less obvious sort.

It's possible that you have some kind of anti-spyware anti-malware sort of thing that is blocking ZC from being able to write the file. It'd be bonkers if that was the case, but if you are certain that you are running it as Administrator, and that both the path to zc.sav, and the zc.sav file have no write-protection, then that's the only thing that I can suspect.

You might want to copy the ZC folder to your desktop, and verify that there is nothing set that can block writing to the save file. Delete ag.cfg in the copy, before you run ZC, to restore its settings; and be sure to use ZCLaunch to run ZC.

Let me know if 2.53 gives you a better time.