PDA

View Full Version : SHMUPS/Shooters

Brasel
11-15-2017, 02:25 PM
I've been playing a crapton of Gradius games lately, and also dabbling in other retro goodness like Thunder Force III and Blazing Lazers.

I've been working on a one life run of Gradius on NES, and really enjoying Gradius II on the Famicom. Sadly, we didn't get Gradius II, but it's an amazing game and anyone should check it out. Of course I splurged and got a physical copy and have been enjoying it on my NES. Parodius is another one I picked up and I'm loving that too.

Anyone else into SHMUPS?

mrz84
11-15-2017, 03:40 PM
I don't play SHMUPS very often, but when I do I enjoy Gradius every now and again (have yet to beat it, but I will someday.) Fun fact, a few of the Kirby games have levels that are vaguely of SHMUP in design (as far back as the first game on Game Boy in fact has a stage that ends with a boss fight. Its not Gradius or other SHMUPS levels of difficulty, but its enjoyable and a neat change of pace between platforming stages)

King Aquamentus
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
I heard on twitter you were looking for some good 16-bit shmups. Have you tried Axelay and Phalanx?

Chris Miller
11-15-2017, 10:50 PM
I just killed Super Hydorah the other day.

stine.mag
11-16-2017, 08:13 PM
I haven't tried playing SHMUPS but since you have recommended it, I guess I should give it a try since my cousins are playing it. I will try to get some tips from them.