PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Save Slots to 99 from 15

Nightmare
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Unless we have a huge RAM issue, I don't see why this would be too hard, especially with much larger HD's since the last time we expanded it. It'd help devs, testers, and speedrunners alike.

-James

Saffith
08-29-2017, 03:30 PM
With the current system, there is a bit of a RAM issue, because all the data from all 15 slots is kept in memory at all times. That also means it has to read every slot on startup, so it would take a lot longer to load the game. Definitely something that should be fixed, but it's likely to take a while.

Nightmare
08-29-2017, 04:17 PM
With the current system, there is a bit of a RAM issue, because all the data from all 15 slots is kept in memory at all times. That also means it has to read every slot on startup, so it would take a lot longer to load the game. Definitely something that should be fixed, but it's likely to take a while.

Is there any way you can make mini files for each quest that retain the current icon, and like items unlocked and last DMAP save point? Loading every quest could be a problem, but can't this be cleaned up in some way?

Loading everything just seems to be a very inefficient way to tackle the problem.

-James

Gleeok
08-29-2017, 08:23 PM
You can also keep separate copies of save files and manage them yourself. Not really a solution but something you can do in the short-term to keep from deleting saves you'd like to keep. :shrug:

Tamamo
08-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Nightmare
Like saffith said, it's strictly a ram issue.
And no one wants 16-32 gigs of ram in order to play ZC...
Loading that much memory at once is just unheard of.
It's semi-related to why we don;t have actual npc guys.

ZoriaRPG
08-29-2017, 09:09 PM
I was pondering moving the string used by ZC to read the save file, ZC.sav, into a string read from allegro.log. I thin that this would be a beneficial change, as it would allow loader utilities to select a save file when launching ZC, or command line options for the save file filename. It would fall under [zelda-dx] as savefile=string.

From that point, you can merely grab the string from ag.cfg, and default on zc.sav if no string is present in the cfg file, or if the specified file cannot be found.

I suppose it might be possible to 'shift out' the save file in memory as well, but that would be far more work, and it may introduce new problems that I do not want to face at present.