PDA

View Full Version : 500 Weird Thungs About Mario

TheDarkOne
07-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Post any weird things about the Mario games here. You can post more than one, as I have done below. Let's see if we can get to 500!

1.A giant turtle is constantly kidnapping a princess.

2.Said Princess relies on an overweight plumber to save her each time she is kidnapped.

3.Mario and Luigi are brothers, but they don't seem to have last names.

4.Jumping on small brown creatures heads kills them

5.You can jump on a turtles head and steal it's shell, then kick said shell at it.

6.A plumber forces a green dnosaur called Yoshi to eat Turtles, weird brown things, berries, maybe poisonous berries and shells, yet it never gets indigestion.

7.Mushrooms don't make you high but they make you grow

8.Strange flowers change the colour of Mario's clothes and allow him to shoot Fireballs.

9.Ghosts called Boos are shy if looked at.

10.Mario can fly if he has a raccoon tail despite the fact that raccoons can't fly..

mrz84
07-16-2017, 11:02 PM
11 - Feathers give Mario and turtles capes, because raisins.
12 - Said capes allow Mario to float through the air and even dive down to create earthquakes in the immediate area, without suffering any sort of visible injury in the process to himself.
13 - An overweight weird elf man dressed in yellow is obsessed with money and many ways to get it, including creating an elaborate distraction to steal Mario's castle, speaking of which...
14 - Mario has a Castle. He also has a house that he shares with his brother that can change its outward and internal configuration without any sort of construction required.
15- Mario was once a carpenter under the alias Jumpman and dated a blonde woman named Pauline who was kidnapped by a gorilla named Donkey Kong and a battle/chase ensued over a construction site of all places.
16 - After defeating said gorilla, Mario/Jumpman caged the gorilla and sent miniature alligators, electric balls of death and various flying birds after the gorilla's son, Donkey Kong Jr, who had set out to rescue his father from a zoo, an electric room of death, and the old construction site where Jumpman and DK first fought. Also, Jumpman dies but somehow gets better.
17 - He then dumps Pauline and disappears for awhile.
18 - Years later he reunites with Pauline (as friends), with Pauline having somehow in the time since they last met turned from a blonde into a voluptuous brunette. The son of the original Donkey Kong (DK Jr), now going under the name of his father, kidnaps Pauline, forcing Mario to rescue her across another construction site, a forest, a lake and other environments.
19 - Mario and DK at some point after the previous entry become buddies and start their own toy factories, with windup toys of themselves that are presented to Pauline. DK kidnaps Pauline (again) and Mario rescues her with the help of his toy Mario army. This happens several more times, with additional toys added of Mario's brother Luigi, a princess and a mushroom man.
20 - Mario has the craziest and most dangerous of recurring parties that he invites his best friends and worst enemies to.
21- Also various sporting events from Basketball, to Tennis and even the Olympics.

TheDarkOne
07-17-2017, 02:20 PM
22 - Mario and Luigi can throw fireballs underwater.
23 - Likewise, they can stay underwater indefinitely without needing to come up for air.

ZoriaRPG
07-19-2017, 05:10 AM
24. Mario could never seem to hold down a job. Carpenter, to demolitions, to extermination, to plumbing. Now what is he? A royal food taster?
25. The original plan was for Mario to carry a gun, like Pitfall Harry in the NES/FC 'Suer Pitfall'. The two may be secretly related.

TheDarkOne
07-19-2017, 12:06 PM
26. Mario and Luigi in the cartoons and movie did not speak with Italian accents, but in the video games where they have voices, they do.

27. Mario runs, climb, jumps, swims, etc., but never seems to lose any weight.

28. Mario/Luigi can smash cement blocks with their heads and it doesn't hurt them.

PinkFairy
08-22-2017, 03:31 PM
29. Gold coins can defy grabity.
30. Shooting certain enemies with a fireball turns them into a gold coin (SMW)
31. You can't buy anything with these gold coins.

mrz84
11-25-2017, 02:58 PM
32 - The Koopalings from Super Mario Bros 3, despite being called Koopalings and marketed as his kids, turn out NOT to be his actual kids. Go figure.
33 - Mario Land 1's main villain, Tatanga, makes an appearance as a boss of the Moon area in Mario Land 2 and is revealed to have to been working for Wario to distract Mario so he can steal his Castle and hide the 6 Golden Coins that act as the keys to the front door across the landscape underr various bosses' watch (including tatanga, the 3 Little Pigs, a witch, a giant bird, and others)
34 - Yoshi was originally planned to be in as early as the original Super Mario Bros as a mount for Mario, but was held off due to hardware limitations. Scetches of early Yoshi concepts were revealed in an interview that had him as a pteradactyl for a possible mount.

PinkFairy
11-26-2017, 12:18 AM
35. Princess Peach was originally named Princess Toadstool.
36. Peach is a princess and not a queen despite the fact that she seems to have no parents.
37. Peach is kidnapped repeatedly but her sister Daisy, despite also being a princess, is only kidnapped once.
38. The princess can float in Super Mario 2 USA but in subsequent games in which she is a playable character, she cannot.

TheDarkOne
11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
39. Mushrooms have eyes and red dots on them.

mrz84
11-27-2017, 07:39 AM
40 - After Super Mario Land 1, Daisy has not appeared in any main series games, instead being used in spin-offs (Mario Party, Mario Kart, the various sports games, etc) with a change in design and personallity to make her easier to identify her from Peach. This included making her more tomboyish. Also, she was never Peach's sister (to my knowledge, there could have been some mention in the original SML game manual that I don't remember)

TheDarkOne
11-27-2017, 01:16 PM
41. Daisy is not Peach's sister.
42. Luigi is in love with Daisy and she with him.

PinkFairy
11-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Okay, so I don't know that much about Mario. Sue me.

43. Mario appears in more games than any other video game character.
44. Luigi was originally created to have co-op play on the original Mario Bros.

mrz84
12-01-2017, 08:19 AM
45 - Despite Mario being generally a console/handheld exclusive to Nintendo systems, Mario has been in PC games such as Mario's Typing during the 80s/90s and other educational games such as Mario is Missing (the first game to have Bowser kidnap Mario and have Luigi in the lead role) and Mario's Time Machine.

ZoriaRPG
12-02-2017, 09:47 AM
46. Bowser turned the people of the Mushroom Kingdom for bricks, yet, not only does Mario senselessly destroy those bricks, presumably killing the people; he is also awarded 50 points for each block that he breaks.

47. Thr first game that had a flight powerup was 'Super Mario Bros. Special', by Hudson, not SMB3.

48. SMB Special was exclusive to computers in Japan, and was never ported (officially) to any Nintendo console.

49. In the Japan-exclusive 'Super Mario Brow. 2', you are awarded a star on the title screen every time that you beat the game, and you need to collect these stars to unlock bonus levels.

50. The 'minus world' glitch has more than one stage uf you play the FDS version of SMB, and it is not endless. (10% point now.)

mrz84
12-04-2017, 09:23 AM
51 - Mario got an anime (Japan exclusive) in 1986 titled Super Mario Bros: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen! which translates to The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!. It predates the live action Super Mario Bros movie by 7 years.
52 - The plot centers on Mario playing on the computer when Peach jumps out, followed by Bowser's minions (Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Lakitu, and Hammer Bros), followed by Bowser himself after Mario defeats them. Peach leaves a necklace behind. Because why not?
53- Luigi wears blur overalls and hat with a yellow shirt in this movie. Because raisins.
54 - Mario and Luigi also work at a grochery store for some reason.
55 - A dog named Kibidango steals the necklace and the chase the dog to the Mushroom Kingdom. Because the plot demands it and the movie is only 65-ish minutes long.
56 - Bowser plans to wed Peach on Friday the 13th, because that is the best day to get married on apparently.
57 - Mario and Luigi need the 3 MacGuffins to defeat Boswer, with each one a Mario Bros game powerup (the Mushrrom of Strength, the Flower of Courage and the Yellow Star of Invincibility)
58 - They manage to get these right as the wedding starts on Friday the 13th and defeat Bowser (pretty sure Invincibility alone would have been enough, but plot logic)
59 - The dog from before transormfs into Prince Haru of the Flower Kingdom, because Bowser is a dick and has magic. You do the math. He's also Peach's fated no matter what fiance, so Mario gets nothing for his troubles.
60 - Bowser and his minions have to work at Mario's grocery store as punishment for what they did. Because that makes total sense.
61 - The movies had some neat merchandise for it made. Phone cards, watches, rice containers, ramen, manga, an art book, 3 riddle books and a limited edition soundtrack (only 50 were ever made of it) with VHS and Betemax releases of the movie made afterwards. All merch is considered rare with the VHS tape of the movie condiered the rarest VHS tape ever to be made. And its all Japan exclusive so have fun on ebay with that. What's that? Where's the weird fact for this one? I like turtles. Now lemme get my coffee. Also its, unknown hom much the movie grossed. Spoon.

ZoriaRPG
12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
62. I have an MPEG of that Anime OVA, which is potentially as rare as tapes of it.
63. Both Mario and Luigi have had outfit changes, several times.
64. In the aforementioned anime, Luigi us in it for the money, and there is a King of Mushroom Land.
65. The only other occurrence of a Mushroom King us in the live action film, where the princess is Daisy.
66. Both major families of powerups are Psychedelia.
67. Mario was inspired by a landlord of a property that Nintendo had rented
68. Super Mario World, is a subtitle in Japan, as the proper game title thete, is 'Super Mario Bris 4., Super Mario World'
69. SMB4 development began on the Famicom in 1989-90, and transitioned to the SFC.
70. Super Mario Land enemies and powerups never appeared in non-GB titles.

PinkFairy
12-04-2017, 10:07 PM
71. Mario's picture is on the wall inside houses in A Link To The Past.
72. Mario actually can run faster than Sonic the Hedgehog.
73. Mario can swim in underwater levels, but in land levels he dies if he falls in the water.

TheDarkOne
12-05-2017, 11:48 PM
74: Luigi's super-high foot-wiggling slow jump in Super Mario 2 USA only happens in that game.
75: Red-shelled Koopas will turn around and go back when they reach the edge of the platform, but green-shelled koopas will walk right off it.
76: Yoshi gains different powers when he eats koopas shells of a certain color, unless he is any color besides green, in which case he will have the same power no matter what color shell he eats.
77: Yoshi doesn't actually "eat" these shells, he just holds them in his mouth and eventually either swallows them whole or spits them out.

PinkFairy
12-11-2017, 08:19 PM
78. Bowser has a son but doesn't have a wife.
79. The only enemy from the original Mario Bros. game to make it into later Mario titles was the turtle.
80. Mini-ninjis and Pokeys are the only SMB 2 USA enemies to appear in later Mario titles.
81. A green mushroom gives Mario/Luigi an extra life, though eating a green-colored mushroom in reality would do just the opposite.

mrz84
12-12-2017, 02:16 PM
82 - [an additive to an earlier one by Zoria] There was actually a Mushroom King in the Super Mario comics by Valiant Comics in the early 90s and featured characters from every Mario game from Super Mario Bros to Mario 3.
83 - Some characters included Wart, Shy Guys, and a few otehr Mario 2 enemies as well as the Koopalings from Mario 3.
84 - Aside from the Mushrrom King as an original character, there was also a mushroom retainer named Booster who was a butler of sorts and in one issue where he felt he was not needed, he left the ccastle only to be kidnapped by Bowser. The Mushrrom King (who at the time and at other times was going through one of his highly egotisitcal mood swings) believed Booster turned traitor until Mario and Toad went to rescue him and prove the King wrong. After fighting through an army of of Bowser's minions, they get into his castle only to find that Booster had feed them so much junk food they all went into hibernation (because RAISINS) and had been waiting for a rescue.

PinkFairy
12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
85. Turtles can have wings.

TheDarkOne
12-14-2017, 01:53 PM
86. In ealry Mario games, going left was never an option.

PinkFairy
12-16-2017, 02:42 PM
87. Fish can jump out of water and injure or kill someone.

TheDarkOne
02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
88. The Koopalings in the Super Mario Bros. cartoon had different names than in the games.
89. In said cartoon, the Koopaling swere in fact Bowser's kids.
90. The Super Mario Bros. live-action movie was going to be turned into a game, but the movie did so poorly that they never did. Because of this, Street Fighter: The Movie is the only video game that is based on a movie that is based on a video game.

PinkFairy
06-05-2018, 11:22 PM
91. SMB3 had more powerups/special items than any other Mario game.
92. Also, in SMB3, you could usually only warp to World 8 if you use the Whistle on World 7. But if you have two Whistles, you can warp to World 8 by using the second Whistle while on the warp zone screen.

ZoriaRPG
06-06-2018, 03:15 AM
91. SMB3 had more powerups/special items than any other Mario game.
92. Also, in SMB3, you could usually only warp to World 8 if you use the Whistle on World 7. But if you have two Whistles, you can warp to World 8 by using the second Whistle while on the warp zone screen.

While SMB3 certainly had a lot of stuff, and also bearing in mind that I'm not a fan of the 3D games, and I may be mistaken, I think that's false.

SMB3 Powerups:
Mushroom
Flower
Leaf
Tanuki Suit
Frog Suit
Hammer Suit
Star
P-Wing

The additional special items:
Jujem Cloud
Kuribou Shoe
Hammer
Recorder

Misc
1-Up

THat's thirteen. (I don't recall any that I had missed.)

Galaxy 2 had 12 special powerups, alone, plus the normal stuff.

THen, there's Super mario RPG, if you count that.

I can't follow all of the powerups in the 'New SMB' and the 3D World series. Lots there, too, but Galaxy 2 takes the biscuit. :D

-----------

SMB3 Anecdote

I had always played the JP version of the game, and in that version, being hit while powered up with a leaf or flower, reverts you to small Mario. The non-JP version is severly Nerf'd.

88. The Koopalings in the Super Mario Bros. cartoon had different names than in the games.
89. In said cartoon, the Koopaling swere in fact Bowser's kids.
90. The Super Mario Bros. live-action movie was going to be turned into a game, but the movie did so poorly that they never did. Because of this, Street Fighter: The Movie is the only video game that is based on a movie that is based on a video game.

(Emphasis, mine).

Do you have any references on this? I find it quite fascinating, and I wonder what form it would have taken. Heck, I'd have played it. I happen to enjoy the SMB film.

I feel like making this, now, and giving the code to Nintendo; or selling it as WiiWare. People would play...and /buy/ this for the camp factor.

PinkFairy
06-06-2018, 03:43 PM
While SMB3 certainly had a lot of stuff, and also bearing in mind that I'm not a fan of the 3D games, and I may be mistaken, I think that's false.

SMB3 Powerups:
Mushroom
Flower
Leaf
Tanuki Suit
Frog Suit
Hammer Suit
Star
P-Wing

The additional special items:
Jujem Cloud
Kuribou Shoe
Hammer
Recorder

Misc
1-Up

THat's thirteen. (I don't recall any that I had missed.)

Galaxy 2 had 12 special powerups, alone, plus the normal stuff.

THen, there's Super mario RPG, if you count that.

I can't follow all of the powerups in the 'New SMB' and the 3D World series. Lots there, too, but Galaxy 2 takes the biscuit. :D

-----------

SMB3 Anecdote

I had always played the JP version of the game, and in that version, being hit while powered up with a leaf or flower, reverts you to small Mario. The non-JP version is severly Nerf'd.

(Emphasis, mine).

Do you have any references on this? I find it quite fascinating, and I wonder what form it would have taken. Heck, I'd have played it. I happen to enjoy the SMB film.

I feel like making this, now, and giving the code to Nintendo; or selling it as WiiWare. People would play...and /buy/ this for the camp factor.This is off-topic but I will respond.

For SMB3, you left out the Music Box, which puts the Hammer Throwers on the map to sleep, and the Anchor, which stops the Airship from moving if you die on it. That makes 15. I haven't played the Galaxy games, so perhaps I was wrong about that, though.

As dor the game based on the movie, all I have to go on for that is internet rumors. It might or might have been considred, but it certainly was never made. I think it stands to reason since the game already existed.

And now can we put this thread back on topic?

TheDarkOne
08-04-2018, 10:14 PM
93. Man-eating plants live inside pipes.
94. Some of these plants can shoot fireballs as well.

mrz84
08-18-2018, 11:24 AM
95 - Since her last appearance in the series (The Mario VS DK games with the toy factories), Pauline has since become mayor of New Donk City (which is heavily implied to be where the original Donkey Kong games took place) which before appearing in Super Mario Odyssey, had something happen to it offscreen during the events of Super Mario Galaxy, though this is never further elaborated upon.

96 - In SMO, Mario can us his hat that is possessed by a ghost of sorts named Cappy (because puns) to possess other creatures and objects that don't have a hat on them already (this is literally the only requirement to be immune) unless Mario knockc the hat off, then they are free game.

97 - Using Cappy, Mario can take control of almost anything, even Pauline making it the only (currently) canonical time that Mario is female. It is also the only confirmed canonical time Mario is inside Pauline (HEEYOO!!!)

TheDarkOne
08-20-2018, 11:28 AM
98. Donkey Kong has never entered the Muhsrrom Kingdom looking to give Mario some payback.
99. Luigi has never tangled with Dinkey Kong (to my knowledge)
100. Despite being "Super" Mario in three prior games, he does not acquire a cape until the fourth game (SMW).