PDA

View Full Version : Original Gameboy screen

cbailey78
05-19-2017, 09:51 PM
I have been wondering why the original Gameboy screen was puke green color. I've surfed all over the net as to why the screen was that color before the pocket Gameboys came out that had a typical silver lcd screen like in calculators. Any ideas why? Just curious!

TheDarkOne
05-19-2017, 11:00 PM
I've often wondered that myself. That creamed spinach color was the main thing that made me hesitant to buy a Game Boy, In fact, I didn't get one until Link's Awakening came out. Then Super Game Boy came out shortly after that.

VEL
05-20-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm guessing they where cheaper in price at the time.

mrz84
05-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Most likely technological limitations of the time VS price/cost efficiency.

Tamamo
05-20-2017, 07:38 PM
green contrasts better in different levels of light.

cbailey78
05-20-2017, 11:38 PM
You would think when they first advertised the original gameboy, the green screen would be a big turn off for game player customers.

ZoriaRPG
05-21-2017, 06:56 AM
I believe it was to mask how pixel fading looked on those early, inexpensive LCDs. The other cheap hand-held consoles of that vintage hand-held green screens, and if you recall, pixels on those LCDs did not instantly fade out, they transitioned out. The colour is provided by a reflective film n the back of the display. If you carefully peel it off, you can replace it with silver to see the difference; or put in a diffuser and an LED, as I did long, long ago. I quickly converted my system to a backlit unit, as I could never see the blasted thing.

I used a red LED, a bit of reflective Mylar, and a diffuser to make it usable. Removing the factory film is always an adventure, ad I have done it a few times over the years to newer units, until Nintendo released the Game Boy Light in Japan. That was the crowned king of the original GB systems. The higher reflectivity and lighting showcased how slow the pixel fading was on the early screens, compared to the GBL.

Tamamo
05-21-2017, 08:07 AM
game and watch is where it's at