PDA

View Full Version : about the Zelda Classic & Solarus , I have a problem...

pinsa
04-20-2017, 01:50 AM
I find some zelda like game source code at github, one is Zelda Classic, one is Solarus.

Solarus have up to 470+ stars,
Zelda Classic only have 30+ stars.

BUT,

Zelda Classic have many games(quests),
Solarus only have very few games.

WHY?

who can tell me?

Saffith
04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Solarus has been on GitHub for almost 11 years. ZC's only been there for 15 months.

I'm not too familiar with Solarus, but it looks like it requires using Lua for even basic games. ZC doesn't require any coding, and in fact didn't even have a scripting language for many years. That gives it a much lower bar to entry as far as many people are concerned.

pinsa
04-21-2017, 12:36 AM
oh, thank you!

Gleeok
04-21-2017, 03:48 AM
I don't really get github rankings and analytics--generally all the highest starred repos are whatever the latest POS javascript framework is that's the latest iteration over POS javascript framework ver X. But that's another thing. :P

We didn't really advertise ZC at all; we just kind of stuck it up on github. On top of that, last year was a very slow development year for ZC, more so than anything previous. I can see the appeal of Solarus since it's capable of more modern 2D Zelda-like stuff and is a really cool project, although from an end-user perspective it's much harder and much more in-depth to create a complete Zelda game with, although to be fair I don't believe it's finished yet.

DarkDragon
04-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Isn't the number of stars just the number of forks? Or something like that?

It makes sense that a project which was open from the start has more attention on GitHub---also ZC has historically had little contribution to the code base from third parties, partly due to how big the barrier is to understand the existing code and make meaningful changes, which hopefully will improve someday.

ZoriaRPG
05-02-2017, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't go out of my way to advertise it, either. We do not want another AM2R episode, happening to us. Wait until we have generic assets before thoughts of promotion of the engine.

DarkDragon
05-03-2017, 03:09 AM
Yes, I agree.