PDA

View Full Version : #2. March 16-April 15 Winning Games Playthrough/Discussion

Chris Miller
03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
We're doing it a little different this time. Since our winning game was Lufia 2, a somewhat lengthy RPG to my understanding, the allotted time has been extended to a month. We've also added in a second game, Mega Man 7, for a bit of variety.

You'll need an account at Retro Achievements (http://retroachievements.org) to participate. If you're new, post your RA username here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?97874-RetroAchievements-org-Usernames) and we'll add it to the list.

You can use either RetroArch (http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.4.1/) or the individual emulators available at Retro Achievements' site, whichever is easier.

Either Hardcore Mode(without savestates) or Normal Mode(with states) is allowed. You get double the points, and bragging rights, with Hardcore Mode. Two awards are available, one for the first person to win Normal Mode, and the first person to win Hardcore Mode.

When you get 100% completion, post a screenshot and link to your RA profile for verification.

If you have a live stream, post it here. We'd like to see it.

Okay. Play and discuss!

Anarchy_Balsac
03-17-2017, 08:08 PM
LOL I'm outta practice, even Burst Man's no-damage achievement gave me more trouble than I expected.

Gleeok
03-19-2017, 04:55 AM
I never actually owned, rented, or beat MM7 back in the day so I remember absolutely nothing about it, but that's exactly how I like it. I think I'll just do a blind-run on hardcore and see what I end up with. Of course this puts me at a pretty large disadvantage achievement-points-wise, but that's also how I like it. :)

In the immortal words of Al Bundy: Let's rock. (it puns me greatly to say that) :P

Chris Miller
03-21-2017, 01:00 AM
BigJoe raised a good question with me in chat just now, whether we have to play one game or the other first.

Play Megaman 7 first, Lufia II first, or both at once if you're really dexterous.

Chris Miller
03-22-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm taking a bit of a liking to Lufia II, despite not being much of an RPG guy. The control isn't as good as Terranigma or Chrono Trigger, and the battle menu takes a bit of getting used to. The graphics and music are pretty good, though.

Tim
03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Just a protip. Many of the pieces of equipment with IP skills are better than straight stats. You can feed a lot of found gear to capsule monsters.

mrz84
03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Another tip for Lufia 2 (spoiler tagged for spoilers)

-=SPOILER=-

Have fun with that.

Anarchy_Balsac
03-26-2017, 11:10 PM
So I don't think anyone will get Spare Refrigerator unless it can be gotten at the final Wily Stage (which, the achievement does NOT clear on whether or not it can).

The amount of practice required is far too great to be going back through Freeze Man's stage ever 3 times you fail at it. The Junk Shield also helps VERY LITTLE, and is mostly only good for finishing him off quickly if he's close to done anyway (does more damage than a charged buster shot). And I can say that while I have gotten better at fighting him, I am done wasting my time on it. I suspect everyone else will have trouble with it as well.

Anarchy_Balsac
03-27-2017, 12:19 AM
HA! But I DID get Vegetable Cutter. Slash Man isn't so bad if you know how to avoid his pods of Red Stuff.

Tim
03-29-2017, 10:31 PM
I think I ran through about 5 bosses in MM7. Not too rusty for not having played the old series in some time.

Anarchy_Balsac
04-09-2017, 01:47 AM
Deader than dead :(

Gleeok
04-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Deader than dead :(

Yep. Shit happens.

Can't speak for others but I've been out of town over in the Bay Area for a few weeks and forgot to grab my ps2 controller. :( On top of that I figured out why the controls for Adventure Island were so fucked up: It's because my D-Pad is going out! :o grrah.. Combinations of -up-left; up-right outright fail making jump-ladder grabs impossible, and I gave up after 2 levels of using the analog stick. Getting a new controller Monday so at least I'll be able to finish MM7. ..Not much to say so far except that Junk-Man is a bit tricky with the mega buster.

mrz84
04-09-2017, 09:07 PM
All I can say in my defense is that Breath of the Wild will eradicate any AND all free time you have. Slowing down on it so I'm gonna try and get some MM7 in before its final day passes.

Anarchy_Balsac
04-10-2017, 01:56 AM
Yep. Shit happens.

Can't speak for others but I've been out of town over in the Bay Area for a few weeks and forgot to grab my ps2 controller. :( On top of that I figured out why the controls for Adventure Island were so fucked up: It's because my D-Pad is going out! :o grrah.. Combinations of -up-left; up-right outright fail making jump-ladder grabs impossible, and I gave up after 2 levels of using the analog stick. Getting a new controller Monday so at least I'll be able to finish MM7. ..Not much to say so far except that Junk-Man is a bit tricky with the mega buster.

You live in California? I thought they lynched us gamers out there, you know, for being accused of misogyny by the same MSM that has always hated and lied on us for being gamers. Glad you're alive, but I wonder for how long.

Gleeok
04-10-2017, 03:12 AM
You live in California? I thought they lynched us gamers out there, you know, for being accused of misogyny by the same MSM that has always hated and lied on us for being gamers. Glad you're alive, but I wonder for how long.

Oh, I thought you knew that already, since I mentioned elsewhere I don't need a medical card to grow weed anymore... Also games n' stuff. Yeah...
Not really sure what you mean by that though. There's tons of games companies and culture in Cali. I even almost worked at Atlus around 2009; they have a localization team in Southern CA.

Anarchy_Balsac
04-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Oh, I thought you knew that already, since I mentioned elsewhere I don't need a medical card to grow weed anymore... Also games n' stuff. Yeah...
Not really sure what you mean by that though. There's tons of games companies and culture in Cali. I even almost worked at Atlus around 2009; they have a localization team in Southern CA.

I mean cus it's the SJW state and SJW's are brainwashed by the media into thinking playing video games = misogyny.

mrz84
04-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Holy cheese nuts do I suck at MM7. After trying for about 2 hourse, I can't even clear any of the 4 Robot Masters at the start (heck, I can't even GET to Freeze Man's Boss fight).
Closest I came to was getting Junk Man to a sliver of health....and then forgetting how to slide....:sweat: Gonna goto bed and try one last time tomorrow when I'm fully awake.

Gleeok
04-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Holy crap, how is it Friday already?! This week just flew by...

Don't panic; I do my best work at the very last minute! >_>

Nightmare
04-15-2017, 02:59 AM
Well, I joined too late. I'll be up for next week though.

I suggest Final Fantasy Legend 3. :)

-James

Tim
04-15-2017, 12:44 PM
I could second FFL3. I've I've been wanting to play it for some time.

mrz84
04-15-2017, 09:13 PM
So after a second attempt at the stages, again, Junk Man was the closest I came to finishing, again with a sliver of health. I think my problem is that I haven't played SNES emulation with a keyboard in years.

As for game recommendations, I third FFL3, as its a from a trio of games I've never had the chance to play, despite emulation being a thing, and would l've to play it (I also love RPGs, so there's that)

Chris Miller
04-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Ad-hoc poll: In light of our various individual IRL business, shall we extend this another couple of weeks? Yay or nay?

Nightmare
04-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Chris, I think we should just close this one. I don't know if anyone is particularly interested in Lufia 2, and I have certainly no inclnation to play MM7 again (hated it the first time) (if I'm wrong please say otherwise)

I think FFL3 would be better: Relatively short RPG, obscure, little experience from everyone on all accounts, perfect for this. And a lot of people in the day wanted to play it but couldn't due to money concerns.

-James

Gleeok
04-16-2017, 04:10 AM
Ad-hoc poll: In light of our various individual IRL business, shall we extend this another couple of weeks? Yay or nay?

Lufia 2 needs like another month. We should make separate threads for RPGs and allow at least 6-weeks.

I vote we let MM7 run for a few days, or until the votes are tallied for the next game, before killing it! :D

ctrl-alt-delete
04-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Sorry, guys. Bear with me.

Lufia 2 was supposed to be two months I though.

Leave MM7 going until the new thread and game are chosen. No harm there.

mrz84
04-16-2017, 09:09 PM
I believe we discussed lengthy RPGs such as Lufia 2 being a 2-month deal, while still having our separate normal game length (in this case, MM7).

As such, I would say that we keep with the original plan and let Luifa 2 continue for another month and let whatever the next game the majority picks be the new game (it looks to me at least, that the new game could be Final Fantasy Legend 3 as almost half of the participants have recommended it as their pick)

mrz84
04-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Something I just wanna bring up after looking through the Mega Man 7 achievement list. Did anyone have any problems with an achievement not popping up when ya got it? Because at the very least I found the Rush Search in Freeze Man's stage, but that is not highlighted as obtained for me...Anyone else have similar problems or do I just got a bad rom file?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I do have a bad rom. I double checked my played games page and the one I have on there has ZERO achievements obtainable for it.

Anarchy_Balsac
04-19-2017, 11:43 PM
Yeah Mega Man 7 gave me no trouble, but I DID have one bug on Megaman and Bass, albeit, not for one of the harder ones.

Gleeok
04-22-2017, 04:01 AM
So I just realized I've been playing MM7 and not getting any achievements... The retroarch menu is not responsive and it keeps telling me to update to the newer version on load repeatedly but fails, so whatever; fuck it. I'll take a snapshot as soon as I finish it, just like the old days.

mrz84
04-22-2017, 11:07 AM
So I just realized I've been playing MM7 and not getting any achievements... The retroarch menu is not responsive and it keeps telling me to update to the newer version on load repeatedly but fails, so whatever; fuck it. I'll take a snapshot as soon as I finish it, just like the old days.

I got this too. After some digging around I've found that you need to delete all of the files for said emu (just the emu, you can leave savestates if you use them) and then do a clean reinstall. It surprisingly works and all ya gotta do is login. Apparently its unknown why its doing this for the time being, but they said they are looking into it.

Gleeok
04-30-2017, 02:44 AM
Beat MM7. A little late, but better than never. Probably one of my least favorite MM games though. The map and enemy designs were good, and the tiling and sprites were fantastic, but the weapon selection kind of sucked. Reminds me of MM4 a little.

I got this too. After some digging around I've found that you need to delete all of the files for said emu (just the emu, you can leave savestates if you use them) and then do a clean reinstall. It surprisingly works and all ya gotta do is login. Apparently its unknown why its doing this for the time being, but they said they are looking into it.

I never installed anything in the first place though...??

..Anyway, whats up with the next game? Did we just forget to make a thread or what? Should I throw one up really quick?