PDA

View Full Version : Link randomly moving in one direction uncontrollably

XMuppetSB
03-16-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 specific or not, but I have come across a big game breaking problem in which Link sometimes starts moving in one direction uncontrollably, even when I'm not pressing the direction he gets stuck in, and I can't seem to get it to stop; it just seems to stop on its own. Has anybody else been experiencing this problem?

Grayswandir
03-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Are you on a laptop? On Linux, I've had issues where it treats the built-in accelerometer as a joystick for some bizarre reason. That is, tilting the laptop will cause link to move.

XMuppetSB
03-17-2017, 10:18 PM
No, I'm using a desktop computer with Windows 10. And for the record, I usually use the keyboard to play, and I've been having this problem when using the keyboard. I've also had this problem when using a controller to play.

ZoriaRPG
03-19-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 specific or not, but I have come across a big game breaking problem in which Link sometimes starts moving in one direction uncontrollably, even when I'm not pressing the direction he gets stuck in, and I can't seem to get it to stop; it just seems to stop on its own. Has anybody else been experiencing this problem?

Are water tiles, or 'Big Link' at any way involved when this occurs?

Are the directions of movement diagonal, or orthogonal?

XMuppetSB
03-19-2017, 01:15 PM
I was playing the 5th quest by bigjoe when I was having this problem, so in this case:
1. No, neither water tiles nor Big Link are involved.
2. It's orthogonal.

ZoriaRPG
03-23-2017, 06:51 AM
I was playing the 5th quest by bigjoe when I was having this problem, so in this case:
1. No, neither water tiles nor Big Link are involved.
2. It's orthogonal.

Has this happened on multiple occasions? Just to clarify, is your keyboard wired, or wireless?

I had not run into this on Win 10, with a keyboard, or with a USB pad, and I'm at a loss to explain what could cause it in that situation. I don't know what software you have running in the background, or what other processes are happening, but if this occurs again, post a screenshot of task manager, and if it ever occurs thereafter, do it again, and perhaps we can find a common thread. 5th Quest is not doing anything scripted, AFAIR, that could ever do this, and I have not encountered it, at all; other than diagonal movement issues that have been rectified.

If the same bug is affecting you, then the next release may cure it. Otherwise, this is going to be another fun one.

XMuppetSB
03-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Has this happened on multiple occasions? Just to clarify, is your keyboard wired, or wireless?

I had not run into this on Win 10, with a keyboard, or with a USB pad, and I'm at a loss to explain what could cause it in that situation. I don't know what software you have running in the background, or what other processes are happening, but if this occurs again, post a screenshot of task manager, and if it ever occurs thereafter, do it again, and perhaps we can find a common thread. 5th Quest is not doing anything scripted, AFAIR, that could ever do this, and I have not encountered it, at all; other than diagonal movement issues that have been rectified.

If the same bug is affecting you, then the next release may cure it. Otherwise, this is going to be another fun one.

Yes it has; I'm using a wired USB keyboard. By the way, what operating system are you running ZC on?

ZoriaRPG
03-31-2017, 04:13 AM
Yes it has; I'm using a wired USB keyboard. By the way, what operating system are you running ZC on?

Windows XP, 7, and 10; and Ubuntu 10.04; for the purpose of testing, and ZC development.

I have experienced joypad ghosting, on some hardware, which was a USB host controller issue, from what I could tell. The USB interrupts, were what I suspected.

By any chance, are you using Dell hardware?

Tamamo
03-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Also make sure your hardware drivers are up to date.

XMuppetSB
03-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Windows XP, 7, and 10; and Ubuntu 10.04; for the purpose of testing, and ZC development.

I have experienced joypad ghosting, on some hardware, which was a USB host controller issue, from what I could tell. The USB interrupts, were what I suspected.

By any chance, are you using Dell hardware?

Yes, my keyboard and my computer mouse are from Dell.

Also make sure your hardware drivers are up to date.

I tried updating my drivers, but I don't think there were any updates available for any of them.

Tim
03-31-2017, 01:21 PM
Are there any instances where Windows randomly changes screen focus for any kinds of popups or notifications? I've had it happen in the past where the screen lost focus and Link kept walking in that direction indefinitely.

XMuppetSB
03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Actually, in my case, it just randomly loses focus on the active window even without there being any popups or notifications, and it happens all the time, not to mention, when it loses its focus on ZC, sometimes Link actually stops moving until I put the focus back on the window, and in most cases, Link gets stuck walking in one direction, even when ZC is in the active window.

ZoriaRPG
04-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Are there any instances where Windows randomly changes screen focus for any kinds of popups or notifications? I've had it happen in the past where the screen lost focus and Link kept walking in that direction indefinitely.

Possibly during those forced updates?

ZoriaRPG
09-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Yes, my keyboard and my computer mouse are from Dell.

I tried updating my drivers, but I don't think there were any updates available for any of them.

A number of other users have encountered this, and it seems to be purely random.

Is there any chance that you know what ZC version you were using? IDK if this happened prior to 2.50.3RC1.

ZoriaRPG
09-25-2018, 01:13 PM
I think that I've fixed this. The cause had to do with Saffith 's changes to cheat refills.

I'm going to need to re-write a refill system that uses modifier keys, instead.

Here's the commit:

https://github.com/ArmageddonGames/ZeldaClassic/commit/571cbd491bab91b22b459478fb23ed738bcf49fb

Removing those two calls negated this issue, so, it's time to find a different solution for non-overlapping key bindings.

Saffith
09-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Given that those functions do nothing but copy data between internal arrays, I can't imagine why they'd have any effect here.

Someone on PureZC just had this issue, and changing joystick_index fixed it, suggesting the problem was indeed some device (like an accelerometer) incorrectly being treated like a controller.

ZoriaRPG
09-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Given that those functions do nothing but copy data between internal arrays, I can't imagine why they'd have any effect here.

Someone on PureZC just had this issue, and changing joystick_index fixed it, suggesting the problem was indeed some device (like an accelerometer) incorrectly being treated like a controller.

It's happened to me, and my system has no such device: I have a keyboard, mouse, and standard display. No other devices. None of my devices have any such fancy inputs.

I had it happen with my KB, and I'm pretty sure it happened on my XP system with only a KB. It may have happened to me when using an iBuffalo controller on my older machine, too. It also happened 100% reliably if you tapped ESC to pause the game, which is what called that part of syskeys() to the forefront of my quest to solve this--it is a prime delay factor for 2.53.0--and randomly happened based on other things. Removing them absolutely did fix it.

Russ and Moosh had problems with it constantly. Venrob had it intermittently. It most commonly occurred on Win10.

I patched it, and everything works flawlessly now. Allegro's polling is weird through, and I'm a bit tired (no pun intended, but, appropriate) of losing sleep on this one; so this fix, known to solve it, should be fine.

I doubt that this one, intermittent as it was; happening at random, had anything to do with what device you are mapping, especially when it's happening on systems where the user only has a keyboard mapped. Feel free to not believe me if you want.

I changed the cheat hotkeys to require Control+Shift, which should be fine.

I don't have a Linux build--nor a non-debug version of the Allegro 4.4.3 Linux library at present, but here's the Windows build:

2.53.0 Beta 19 (Win) (http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc/zc_dev/2.53_Win_Beta_19.zip)

ChangeLog for 2.53.0 Beta 19

Require using Control+Shift modifier keys in conjunction with cheat hotkeys.

//Beta 18.2
Fixed input getting stuck as if buttons were being held down, when released.
( ZoriaRPG, 25th September, 2018 )
( credit also: Venrob for think-tank.)
( credit also: Russ for testing.)

//Beta 18.1
Fixed the Cheat Menu 'Max Bombs' so that it is possible to set
any value from 0 to 0xFFFF.
( ZoriaRPG, 25th September, 2018 )

//Betas 16, 17, 18
Minor touch-up on qrNOGANONINTRO
Should fix: Nayru's Love decorations do not die, and will eventually wrap the screen.
Should fix: Vires freeze when struck, without split-on-hit.
( ZoriaRPG, 24th September, 2018 )
Should fix: Lens costs rupees with infinite wallet.
Should fix: Diagonal left-down sprites on 8-way shots are mis-oriented.
Should fix: Hammer stars appear in wrong spot.
Should fix: Charged hammer doesn't strike pound blocks.
Should fix: Ganon Triforce holdup when Link is jumping.
Should fix: Ganon's ashes don't fall in sideview.
( ZoriaRPG, 23rd September, 2018 )

Saffith
09-25-2018, 02:41 PM
I think you're describing a different problem. Yes, opening the menu while holding a key will make it fail to register the release properly, and that one may well be my fault. But that's a different thing than directions being unfixably stuck right from launch.

Tamamo
09-25-2018, 08:03 PM
theirs also the issue of just having a bad keyboard.
Replace your hardware when you can.
Old hardware is bad hardware. Mice especially fall victim to this...

ZoriaRPG
09-26-2018, 01:54 PM
I think you're describing a different problem. Yes, opening the menu while holding a key will make it fail to register the release properly, and that one may well be my fault. But that's a different thing than directions being unfixably stuck right from launch.

Yes, different issue from being stuck at launch. That one is very likely going to be allegro reading some other device, indeed.

Same kind of issue as what Tim reported, but it can happen at other times, purely randomly, especially when running other software that can interfere with the Allegro process in some way, or when streaming; probably because ZC loses focus during those events.

Tim
09-26-2018, 02:05 PM
More or less from what I remember in the past, presumably it was something along the lines of the game losing focus and thinking the input was still pushed. Refocusing on the ZC window of course stopped this. It happened way before my previous post... A few times in the past may have been AIM messages popping up to lose focus.