PDA

View Full Version : Diagonal Movement Issues

ZoriaRPG
02-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Russ reports that when entering walkable water with diagonal movement, using either the keyboard, or the joypad, Link can become stuck in a movement cycle, moving constantly at an angle, even when the player is not pressing buttons.

He has no idea how to replicate this, and it appears to be random.

Dimentio
02-03-2017, 03:40 AM
Seems to be related to that one swim bug, where if you change your direction the frame Link starts to enter the water (or the frame before), Link will start moving in that direction and won't stop until he hits a cave entrance or the screen edge, all while ignoring solidity. Seems to only be a thing with solid water... although, maybe not.

ZoriaRPG
02-03-2017, 06:07 AM
Seems to be related to that one swim bug, where if you change your direction the frame Link starts to enter the water (or the frame before), Link will start moving in that direction and won't stop until he hits a cave entrance or the screen edge, all while ignoring solidity. Seems to only be a thing with solid water... although, maybe not.

Hmm...

If you know of a way to replicate this, with your mad frame abuse skills, please document it. I think it is an issue with the LinkClass::Move stuff, but who knows. It could just as easily be a map flag or other issue, although my money is on an oversight in Link :: Draw or Link :: Move. I could fix this, no doubt, if I go through that mire again. The thing of course, is that I would ultimately prefer to revise some of these functions in the short-term.

Tamamo
02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
fuck, that's a pretty bad bug, actually, i would rather just rewrite the swimming code completely. It's not awful per say, but it's not good either.

ZoriaRPG
02-03-2017, 10:00 AM
fuck, that's a pretty bad bug, actually, i would rather just rewrite the swimming code completely. It's not awful per say, but it's not good either.

You have that option, if you want to save me the work. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the swimming code though. It is more likely map flag detection, reading the combo types and flags, to decide what Link is doing, choose his action, and so forth.

I'd be happy to go over all of the things that are wrong with Link.cpp--the absolute worst code in all of the source--detail what needs to be done, and have someone willing to fix them with me. Oh, but you said you quit? :p

Saffith
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Sounds like it might be referring to the same bug, even. Are we sure it's not?
That one was already fixed. Even if it's different, it's possible this is, too.

ZoriaRPG
02-04-2017, 02:13 AM
Sounds like it might be referring to the same bug, even. Are we sure it's not?
That one was already fixed. Even if it's different, it's possible this is, too.

It's certainly possible, and I haven't discounted it--I didn't want to tell him it was fixed either, with no way to know, as I have actually never seen this happen; at all. Russ brought it up the other day--with no solid explanation of how to produce it. Once there is a 2.50.4 gamma out with the new fixes, I'll ask him and Aevin to give it a try and see if it is fixed. if so, then, fantastic. Your fix of big Link's issues simultaneously rectified this, and saved what little sanity I have left, after the hell of this week. :)

If not, then , well, ugh.

Tell me one thing though: How much of Link.cpp was actually ever rewritten from 1.92? :p

(For that matter, did you ever do even a partial rewrite of that atrocity? Just curious now.)