PDA

View Full Version : Picking up Zscript a bit

SUCCESSOR
01-11-2017, 08:43 PM
It's been awhile since I used Zscript and I want to mess around a bit. If anyone has any ideas theyve been tossing around about a script let's talk about it and maybe I can give it a shot. Nothing too complicated right now though. I don't have time to dig in too far yet.

I just did a simple enemy for something and I think it came out well. It's basically just a walking enemy edited by a script. I'll post it when I get the chance if anyone is interested.

ZoriaRPG
01-12-2017, 02:31 AM
It's been awhile since I used Zscript and I want to mess around a bit. If anyone has any ideas theyve been tossing around about a script let's talk about it and maybe I can give it a shot. Nothing too complicated right now though. I don't have time to dig in too far yet.

I just did a simple enemy for something and I think it came out well. It's basically just a walking enemy edited by a script. I'll post it when I get the chance if anyone is interested.

Hmm... I don;t know if you would find it amusing, but you could try some of the new stuff we've been doing, see what works, what;s broken, and give some feedback, if you are mostly looking to flex your digits.

-=SPOILER=-

Other than that, any idea I might have, is one of the following (1) convoluted, (2) else something I could easily do, (3) something I'm too lazy to do, or (D), something that I might shove into the language instead of making a mad workaround to accomplish. :p

I'd say, perhaps finish your items header, and you know, put it in the databases?

One thing that would be exceptionally useful are any scripts that we can pool into scripted template quests for the userbase. Any enemies, items, game events, minigames, bosses, or similar that are missing from the present lexicon.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
09-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Here's something stupid simple, at least probably stupid simple for you.

I'd like to build a quest where certain doors will become opened when you possess a certain number of a particular item. Basically like the system Final Fantasy Legend 2 uses to determine if you could move forward in the quest by the number of Magi you possess. One method I thought of would be to use an item that is tracked. Then when that item gets to a specific threshold, the script would add a "key item" invisibly into your inventory which would then be used with the "Authentic Dungeon Doors" Script on PureZC.

It would be preferable if I could somehow do the same thing without using item slots though....

ZoriaRPG
09-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Are you planning to use NES dungeon doors, lock b locks, or something else?

I scripted a lockblock system that uses a desired item/counter to simulate lockblocks, and I made chests that open if you have a special item; but this could also work for doors. NES dungeon doors are a bit special, as they set both sides of a mapscreen when opened.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
09-21-2017, 01:40 PM

I scripted a lockblock system that uses a desired item/counter to simulate lockblocks, and I made chests that open if you have a special item; but this could also work for doors. NES dungeon doors are a bit special, as they set both sides of a mapscreen when opened.

In theory I'd use a NES Dungeon. And chests you say? I might have a use for that as well. I didn't even think of it.

Tamamo
09-21-2017, 02:43 PM

I'll be honest with you. Door Sets need a new implementation. "The Old one must remain and|or it must be built around it, preferably the former". In the future it would be nice if we had multiple doors per wall, sbomb doors (for NES dungeons where secrets cannot be permanent unless you treat as interior), custom door widths, and the ability to move the doors along the walls and away from the wall if we choose.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
I'll be honest with you. Door Sets need a new implementation. "The Old one must remain and|or it must be built around it, preferably the former". In the future it would be nice if we had multiple doors per wall, sbomb doors (for NES dungeons where secrets cannot be permanent unless you treat as interior), custom door widths, and the ability to move the doors along the walls and away from the wall if we choose.

Based on that, I think I better use lockblocks instead of dungeon doors. Sounds like it's either impossible to use the doors or just really annoying to try.

ZoriaRPG
09-21-2017, 08:45 PM

I could say the same for mapscreen in general. As I mentioned to Gleeok recently, the entire way that we do maps is a bastard to change. It would be better, for a future version, to make a wholly new map system, and then we would be stuck with a big switch of:

if ( version >= 3 ) { DoNewStuff(); } else { PrayOldStuffWorks(); }

For the present, at the least, I added a whole bunch of stuff work working with maps in the script language to 2.54, 2.55, 2.60, 2.sheep. I ran into a fun time when i wanted to make save state functions, when the screens used NES DUngeon doors, because there was no way to remotely read, or set them. :D

Based on that, I think I better use lockblocks instead of dungeon doors. Sounds like it's either impossible to use the doors or just really annoying to try.

If you want to look at how I did any of this, I have scripts posted both on ZC.com and Pure.

Scripted Lockblocks, Doors (ZC.com) (http://www.zeldaclassic.com/resource-listing/entry/36/?pagenum=2)
Scripted Chest Game, and Chests (ZC.com) (http://www.zeldaclassic.com/resource-listing/entry/33/?pagenum=3)

Lelouche Vi Britannia
09-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Thanks! That will help!

ZoriaRPG
09-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Thanks! That will help!

The uploads include demo quests, so they might help. The chest game code is a bit complex, as it is obviously designed for the minigame itself. I have a chest script that is mostly finished, that I designed so that it could not be broken by F6, here:

https://pastebin.com/mM5rg1dP

This one is somewhat complex as well, but the idea is to prevent the player from either being able to duplicate chest contents, or to lose chest contents that they acquire, if they press F6 during the process of awarding or setting the item or the screen values. It is absolutely something that you will want to consider for chests, and possibly for doors, as the timing involved can be tricky.