PDA

View Full Version : ZQuest Editor error when opening!

GrasshopperHD
12-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Hello, I'm trying to open ZQuest Editor on my Mac. I'm on macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1

Whenever I open it, it shows a small window, reading "Loading Quest" at the top. And then it says this:

Loading Quest: new quest...
Decrypting...error.
-- press a key --

When I do press any key, nothing happens. Whenever I hold down a key for a few seconds, the editor finally crashes. I've tried the versions 2.50.3-RC 1, 2.50.2, 2.50.1, and 2.50

Please help!

ZoriaRPG
12-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Hello, I'm trying to open ZQuest Editor on my Mac. I'm on macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1

Whenever I open it, it shows a small window, reading "Loading Quest" at the top. And then it says this:

Loading Quest: new quest...
Decrypting...error.
-- press a key --

When I do press any key, nothing happens. Whenever I hold down a key for a few seconds, the editor finally crashes. I've tried the versions 2.50.3-RC 1, 2.50.2, 2.50.1, and 2.50

Please help!

Try putting ZC in the Games folder, and let us know if that fixes it.

GrasshopperHD
12-22-2016, 05:51 PM
If you mean the 'My Games' Folder, I put it in and the same thing happened.

Saffith
12-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Another app translocation issue, probably.

In Finder (it must be in Finder), move the ZC and ZQuest applications to a new folder. Move the applications themselves, not the folder they're in. You can move them back afterward.
That's supposed to disable translocation, after which they should work properly. No one has yet confirmed for us that it works, however.

ZoriaRPG
12-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Another app translocation issue, probably.

In Finder (it must be in Finder), move the ZC and ZQuest applications to a new folder. Move the applications themselves, not the folder they're in. You can move them back afterward.
That's supposed to disable translocation, after which they should work properly. No one has yet confirmed for us that it works, however.

Perhaps we should make an 'installer' for 10.11 and later, that automates this, if it works.

-=SPOILER=-

This should probably be moved to bug reports, but I can't do that.

GrasshopperHD
12-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Yup, it worked! Thanks a lot! :heartsmile:

luckilla
12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
GrosshopperHD - I had this same problem with MacOS Sierra a couple weeks ago myself trying to play Zelda Classic just so you know had problems too.

Saffith
12-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Perhaps we should make an 'installer' for 10.11 and later, that automates this, if it works.
A program that opens Finder and clicks and drags applications around? That seems infeasible... I think all we can really do is try to detect it and give instructions on how to work around that.

It remains to be seen if I can do even that, however. I have to figure out where to get a CFURLRef. If I can't do that, I may just have to fall back on checking if the data files exist.

ZoriaRPG
12-24-2016, 11:51 AM
A program that opens Finder and clicks and drags applications around? That seems infeasible... I think all we can really do is try to detect it and give instructions on how to work around that.

It remains to be seen if I can do even that, however. I have to figure out where to get a CFURLRef. If I can't do that, I may just have to fall back on checking if the data files exist.

A shell script, or AppleScript programme could probably do it. I haven't used AppleScript for ages, so IDK what has changed; or does copy not work; and they specifically need to be moved?

AppleScript should be able to do file moves though. Installer packages can place files in specific locations. All of these would require a password entry from the user, unless they're silly and have permissions off.

The script would need to read the user ID, and set up a relative source, then copy 'files' to ./Users/%usernsme%/dest

This used to be a very simple, and common thing to do with AppleScript, too.

P.S. Happy Birthday, IIRC.

Saffith
12-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Copying instead of moving might be okay, but it specifically has to be done in Finder. Moving the files with a script will not disable translocation.

ZoriaRPG
12-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Copying instead of moving might be okay, but it specifically has to be done in Finder. Moving the files with a script will not disable translocation.

Oh, well, that would indeed pose problems, and I do not have this version of OSX, nor a system new enough to run it at that, to try anything personally. I may be able to rope in one of my mates with video stations, but I'm unsure if he is newer than 10.9, so similar reasons to meself.

Can't we just to a .dmg that has a softlink to the proper path on the local filesystem, with a 'copy files here' thing that used to be done for copying to ./Applications, or do those no longer work?

DMG Canvas (http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas) may be worth a look.

In any event, AppleScript apparently does work (https://github.com/potionfactory/LetsMove/issues/56), or did work, albeit for 'who knows' how long.

Continued gripes on apple...
-=SPOILER=-