PDA

View Full Version : Splash Screen Files?

ZoriaRPG
12-09-2016, 03:38 AM
What precisely is used to generate the splash screens, and what are the origin files for them, and for the title music?

DarkDragon
12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Which do you mean by the "splash screens"? There are the screen in title.cpp, for example v25_titlescreen(), DX_titlescreen(), NES_titlescreen(), etc. There's also the AGN logo screen in aglogo.cpp.

ZoriaRPG
12-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Which do you mean by the "splash screens"? There are the screen in title.cpp, for example v25_titlescreen(), DX_titlescreen(), NES_titlescreen(), etc. There's also the AGN logo screen in aglogo.cpp.

I see... So, the mages used for the title slpash (and the AGN logo) are all hardcoded. Fun, fun.

I was thinking of updating it a bit for the future, but oh my.

DarkDragon
12-10-2016, 12:22 AM
Some of it is hard-coded, but some of it is inside zelda.dat.

ZoriaRPG
12-10-2016, 01:57 AM
So.... zelda.dat is not included with the package, nor is it generated by it. That essentially means that the present distribution is technically incomplete? I expected there to be source bitmap files, from which the src packaged generated the .dat files, including the quest default, but I never really checked before.

Now that I'm going through the libs and other binaries, I'm noting a lot of missing components.

Whatever is used to generate the .dat files would be a useful addition, but that's a matter for another topic. We're also wholly missing the zlaunch code, although I seem to recall that it belongs to someone else; and that we sought, and may've been granted permission to distribute it (?).

The Z1 title scroll code, is interesting enough though. It would be possible for me to make an 'FDS' version of ZC itself, at some point, with very little extra work, other than the quest file. Then again, I have no idea how ag4 would render non-ASCII characters in the strings.

DarkDragon
12-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Gleeok explained to me that the .dat files are not included because they contain copyrighted content. Which makes sense. You'll need to download them from the release .zips.

ZoriaRPG
12-10-2016, 02:45 AM
Gleeok explained to me that the .dat files are not included because they contain copyrighted content. Which makes sense. You'll need to download them from the release .zips.

That's what I've been doing, but I need to know how the .dat files are constructed. They're binaries, which means that the content--I presume this is the music, and the tiles?--is embedded into a single file with some kind of wrapper.

Gleeok Saffith Grayswandir Dimentio
We should just make a non-infringing set of files, to replace them with the open source package, and include everything that a person needs to compile and run the output. I would be happy to work on that.

P.S. Technically, title.cpp contains infringing, copyrighted content, too.

Gleeok
12-10-2016, 03:06 AM
We just use the allegro grabber utility: https://www.allegro.cc/depot/Grabber/ ...Although I can't remember what the passwords are offhand. Do they even need to be encrypted any more?

P.S. Technically, title.cpp contains infringing, copyrighted content, too.

Shit.

DarkDragon
12-10-2016, 03:37 AM
We should just make a non-infringing set of files, to replace them with the open source package, and include everything that a person needs to compile and run the output. I would be happy to work on that.

Ok, that would be useful, but it sounds like a lot of work. In addition to the splash screens there are the 1st through 5th quests, the sound effects and music files, the default tilesets, etc etc.

ZoriaRPG
12-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Ok, that would be useful, but it sounds like a lot of work. In addition to the splash screens there are the 1st through 5th quests, the sound effects and music files, the default tilesets, etc etc.

Precisely. We have Koten now, and the creator effectively made it specifically for this type of application. Non-infringing sound effects might be a problem. I'll need to consult with some sound libraries to look for things to use, but over the next few months, I think that I could manage to complete a full set of non-infringing packages.

Gleeok: Just throw out the password protection on included content.

DarkDragon
12-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Precisely. We have Koten now, and the creator effectively made it specifically for this type of application. Non-infringing sound effects might be a problem. I'll need to consult with some sound libraries to look for things to use, but over the next few months, I think that I could manage to complete a full set of non-infringing packages.

@Gleeok (http://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=42714) : Just throw out the password protection on included content.

They are (encrypted) Allegro packfiles. The Grabber utility should be able to open them (you may need to find the packfile passwords inside the Zelda source, though).