PDA

View Full Version : Didn't we have an IRC #channel?

MasterSwordUltima
12-08-2016, 02:29 AM
What the heck happened to that? Or am I just blind and didn't look hard enough for the info?

Chris Miller
12-08-2016, 02:51 AM
irc.bladerock.org port 6667
#AGN

MasterSwordUltima
12-08-2016, 07:09 AM
That's what it is! Thank ya kindly!

Brasel
12-13-2016, 02:30 AM
We could move to the 21st century and set up a Discord.....? Eh? Eh?

MasterSwordUltima
12-13-2016, 03:55 AM
Yeah but then I run the risk of accidentally talking to somebody. Plus I'm on a major nostalgia trip lately so mIRC hits that spot.

DarkDragon
12-13-2016, 03:57 AM
We could move to the 21st century and set up a Discord.....? Eh? Eh?

I thought all of the cool kids used Slack these days?

War Lord
12-13-2016, 12:16 PM
We could move to the 21st century and set up a Discord.....? Eh? Eh? @Brasel (http://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=39587)

I've looked at Discord before but don't like the fact that they don't offer a self hosted option. That's why I still use mumble at home for my personal needs with friends.
It's fine to offer the hosted version, but to not offer the option to host it yourself seems crazy to me. I think they're worried about the ability to sell add ons to the users, which they lose if they aren't hosting it.

If the community would prefer it however, I would be willing to setup and integrate.

Brasel
12-13-2016, 07:27 PM
I thought all of the cool kids used Slack these days?

I actually use Slack for my website, DarkDragon. It's really nice, but I think it's closer to like a business thing and not really gaming oriented? At least that's how it was advertised to me.

@Brasel (http://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=39587)

I've looked at Discord before but don't like the fact that they don't offer a self hosted option. That's why I still use mumble at home for my personal needs with friends.
It's fine to offer the hosted version, but to not offer the option to host it yourself seems crazy to me. I think they're worried about the ability to sell add ons to the users, which they lose if they aren't hosting it.

If the community would prefer it however, I would be willing to setup and integrate.

I'm not sure why self hosting is a need these days, but I guess having more granular control over something like that is always nice. I only suggest Discord because I'm in it for various other gaming groups already, and adding an AGN channel would be an easy excuse for me to interact with this site more often again.

Brasel
12-17-2016, 05:14 PM
I spent like 4 hours on Discord last night bullshitting in voice chat with my Gaming Rebellion contributors. It was great. If we move the official AGN chat to anything, I think having voice chat as an option is a great idea.

MasterSwordUltima
12-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Well you can voice chat on pretty much anything these days. I've also used Mumble and it worked out pretty nice.

Mitsukara
12-30-2016, 02:15 PM
I, too, shall peer into this ancient realm of which you speak, to see if it truly yet stands.

Chris Miller
12-31-2016, 08:36 PM
What news and/or artifacts have you to report?

ctrl-alt-delete
02-24-2017, 03:30 AM
A bunch of us used Ventrilo back in the day...good times.

What's the best option for a free, seperate voice chat program nowadays? Google Hangouts? I'll look into it but you all should to if you're really interested.

Aside from that, make it a point to come to #agn every now and then. If you don't feel like using Hexchat or something similar, just click the chat tab at the top of the forum.