PDA

View Full Version : Quest Recommendation

DarkDragon
11-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Suppose you had to nominate the best X quests released in the past few years (where X is relatively small, say, <= 5). These quests should
- run without serious bugs on the 2.50.2 player;
- have a release date of 2014 or later;
- not be authored by yourself.

Which quests would you pick?

ZoriaRPG
11-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Suppose you had to nominate the best X quests released in the past few years (where X is relatively small, say, <= 5). These quests should
- run without serious bugs on the 2.50.2 player;
- have a release date of 2014 or later;
- not be authored by yourself.

Which quests would you pick?

I'm too tired to try to pick five, but you can flip through my suggestions and see what interests you, by style.

2014 and later:
Brock Lesnar
Eiyuu
(The) Flow of Time (Remastered)
Forbidden Ascent
Guardian Mother
In The Lost Kingdom of The Banana Blood God
Isle of Rebirth
Light of the Heavens 3
Nagrad's Trail
Passage Through Time (story, items, and length; but it's a very easy quest)
Randomizer Alpha
Summoning War
Tower of Courage
Umbral Cloud

2012-2013:
The Darkness Within
The Darknut Within
Engage to Zeldawok
GRIKARUGUN (Shmup)
Link Stuck in Castlevania
Link's Quest for the Hookshot, part 2
Quest 744

I'd suggest watching some LP footage of anything that you think might interest you, so that you have a good feeling for its direction. All of these quests make very good use of 2.5 features.

Gleeok
11-30-2016, 08:48 AM
That's more than "<= 5" ZoriaRPG. :P

You also forgot to mention Zodiac which was finally finished last year. (Side scrolling and 100% scripted weapons/enemies/bosses/subscreens/etc.) Warning; some areas and bosses are hard.

ZoriaRPG
11-30-2016, 10:15 AM
That's more than "<= 5" ZoriaRPG. :P

You also forgot to mention Zodiac which was finally finished last year. (Side scrolling and 100% scripted weapons/enemies/bosses/subscreens/etc.) Warning; some areas and bosses are hard.

Oh? I thought that Zodiac was still going through refinements, so sure. That's another great script showcase, although I'm not particularly good at the game. :D

The problem is, that if you asked me to pick the top three quests of each specific style, or genre, I could so it readily. The variety of what is done in ZC is so dramatically different now, when compared to 2009-10, that a top five quests list just doesn't work for me.

But hey now, your GRIKARUGUN is on my top quests list: I'm better at that, then Zodiac BTW. I think what gave me severe problems with Zodiac, is that enemies infinitely respawn when you enter screens, which because it's a sidescroller without panning, can happen three times in ten seconds. It has a high frustration factor, but it's an immensely creative, and well-constructed game.

I also wanted to show what types of creative things are being done with ZScript, but this isn't by any means a singular, or defining factor of my choices. In that, missing Zodiac is a pivotal oversight, given that it has what; somewhere around 200k lines of ZScript under its belt?

The ZASM output required me to add two digits to my SciTE line count indicator, out to 8 digits, or something obscene. Just imagine doing that in 2004/5!

Mitsukara
12-16-2016, 04:39 AM
SPIKES OF DOOM

*vanishes in a puff of smoke*

DarkFlameWolf
06-25-2017, 11:13 PM
It's not 2.5, but Link's Birthday DX by Mr. Z is always a solid classic.

Tamamo
06-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Isle of Rebirt by Evan20k hands down.

06-26-2017, 09:27 AM
The Forbidden City.

Nightmare
06-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Well, if you can get it converted, AlphaDawg's Unofficial 3rd Quest.

The only other really important quests I can really say deserve packaging in are Lost Isle and Mitsukara's quest (really got to get to that)

I'm probably tougher on this than most. Besides New Quest, these are arguably the most important quests that have ever been released, and I can't vote for myself.

-James

Dimentio
06-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Mitsukara's Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia is my new favorite quest,
Shane's Rite of the Storm is a pretty decent non-zelda metroidvania
Moosh's and Russ's In The Lost Kingdom of the Banana Blood God is amazing
So is Moosh's Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2, and Moosh's Freedom in Chains (whose engine got reused in Moosh's and Russ's Forbidden Ascent, which is also really good)
Finally, Evan's Isle of Rebirth is my second favorite quest, it's just a really good _Zelda_ fangame.