PDA

View Full Version : Compiling Zelda Classic instructions?

lucas92
05-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi, it's really great news the sources from Zelda Classic are now open-source. I tried to compile with the given VC2008 solution but it failed. I tried to compile with the makefile, but it seems the libraries given with the git repository are in a 32 bits format and is invalid with the distribution of mingw I currently have. What is the setup you use to build the sources? Thanks.

Tamamo
05-25-2016, 12:15 PM
The VS2008 builds are not up to date. Gleeok takes care of that naturally. Saffith is the one who updates the makefile which is set up for 32 bit format by default. Either wait for Gleeok or download a 32 bit distribution of mingw.

Saffith
05-26-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure it's even possible to compile some of the libraries as 64-bit. Try using the -m32 switch with MinGW.

Tamamo
06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
How do we go about compiling using an MSYS environment. I have it set up correctly but whenever I try to compile use the make command it returns an error saying it cannot locate the allegro libraries. Which I know exist. Also how do I go about linking the Boost libraries?

Saffith
06-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Did you install Allegro after building it? If it's installed properly, you should be able to run allegro-config to get the necessary arguments. If the ALLEG_LIB setting in the makefile doesn't work for some reason, you should be able to change it to
ALLEG_LIB = `allegro-config --libs --shared`

The Boost libraries used are header-only; they don't need any linking.

Tamamo
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Saffith
Know what's going on here by chance?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37660730/compiling-allegro-4-for-mingw-msys

Saffith
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Try running
export UNIX_TOOLS=1
first.

Also, if you get an operand type mismatch error on fnstsw (I thought we had fixed that, but I'm still seeing it), in src/i386/icpus.s, change line 70 to
fnstsw %ax

Tamamo
06-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Saffith
Another roadblock. -__-
Let me guess I was suppose to install dx7. I Just copied it like it told me to in the instructions.

C:\msys\allegro>Compiling Allegro for MinGW32, optimised. Please wait...
gcc -s -Wl,--subsystem,windows -o tests/win/dibgrab.exe obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o lib/mingw32/liballeg.a -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lole32 -ldinput -lddraw -ldxguid -lwinmm -ldsound
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x135): undefined reference to `save_bitmap'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x1cc): undefined reference to `_imp__default_palette'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x1dc): undefined reference to `set_palette_to_hdc'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x277): undefined reference to `blit_from_hdc'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x2f0): undefined reference to `stretch_blit_to_hdc'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x4c3): undefined reference to `_install_allegro_version_check'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x4d0): undefined reference to `set_gdi_color_format'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x4ec): undefined reference to `create_bitmap_ex'
obj/mingw32/alleg/dibgrab.o:dibgrab.c:(.text+0x562): undefined reference to `destroy_bitmap'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [tests/win/dibgrab.exe] Error 1

Saffith
06-07-2016, 07:00 PM
If you didn't install DX7, yeah, you probably should. I don't think that's the problem here, though. dibgrab is a test, not part of Allegro itself. It doesn't really matter if you don't build it, but maybe it's failing because Allegro didn't compile.
It's looking for the static library, but ZC doesn't use that. Check in lib/mingw32. If the dll's there, you can probably just make install and be done with it. Otherwise, maybe do a make veryclean and start again.

Tamamo
06-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Saffith

Okay got allegro compiled
Did you remove the Linkhandler or something? Says it can't find it.

make *** No rule to make target 'src/linkHandler.cpp' meeded by 'oj/linkHandler.o'

Tamamo
06-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Saffith
Almost there! I'm 10 meters from the top of the hill and then there's the downward spiral!
I fixed the linkhandler issue.

It compiles, but it is not raining men unfortunately.

edit: And yes I moved the dependencies. "The data files from 2.5.2 over as well as the quest files and everything. Still isn't working."

edit2: I wish I had a mac like you Saffith. :(

Saffith
06-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Nah, Linux. My only Mac's a VM. Wouldn't recommend that.

Anything useful in allegro.log? Failing that, console output?

I'll fix the LinkHandler stuff in the makefile. You'd think I could at least delete things properly. :p

Tamamo
06-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Allegro is outputting a Invalid header string errors upon getting pass the the title screen of ZC "which it loops and crashes" and opening ZQuest which it doesn't crash interestingly enough.

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Invalid header string: 'ミY,ルモb韋・縮ー莎幸Ty<ェ、・ (was expecting 'AG Zelda Classic Quest File
' or 'AG ZC Enhanced Quest File
')

Saffith
06-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Ah, shoot, forgot about that. Another thing that never got removed properly: disabled encryption. export USE_ENCRYPTION=1 and build it again. You might have to make clean first, but I don't think it's necessary.

Tamamo
06-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Works. strangely the executables don't have their icons though. Not that it matters.
Thanks again Saffith really means a lot you taking the time the last few days to settle this matter.
Now It's time to fix that freaking hookshot that has been the death of us, am I right?

Gleeok
06-23-2016, 06:51 PM
AFAIK I've dealt with all the complaints about compiling on MSVC x86. Let me know if something is still broken for you

Tamamo
06-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Gleeok
Actually Gleeok, I can compile it just find.

ZoriaRPG
06-23-2016, 09:59 PM
I'll look at the new package over the weekend. Gleeok : Does this use the 2.6 files, as we discussed, or do I still need to fiddle with it, to use those?

Gleeok
06-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Nothing uses the 2.6 files. The 2.6 files are just the 2.52 files I think, or somewhere around there, I forget.

I don't use anything but the current working version of ZC, which is what's in the trunk right now.

ZoriaRPG
06-24-2016, 04:58 AM
Nothing uses the 2.6 files. The 2.6 files are just the 2.52 files I think, or somewhere around there, I forget.

I don't use anything but the current working version of ZC, which is what's in the trunk right now.

So, the short answer is that the builds under those .proj files are unstable, and use the new enemy and engine code changes; or were those reverted?

Would it be possible to request that we start using a basic changelog for 'latest', pretty please, so that we have a simple list of what has changed since 2.5.2?

Tamamo
06-24-2016, 09:43 AM
ZoriaRPG
Don't use the .proj files. You can't compile ZC 2.5.2 with those.

Tamamo
06-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Saffith does the makefile compile on Linux as far as you know?

Gleeok
06-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Are you talking about relative directory preprocessor errors? That's the only thing I can think of. If so, the problem is probably that I add "src/" to the include path and maybe nothing else does.

Tamamo
06-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Gleeok
No, I have had no such errors since I switched to MSYS.

ZoriaRPG
06-24-2016, 09:57 PM
ZoriaRPG
Don't use the .proj files. You can't compile ZC 2.5.2 with those.

I have the .proj files from the old 2.50.1 source pack. I had originally intended to make a pacage with that too, but overall a makefile is always the way to go for other people to use it.

We need to discuss policies though, for Git. As of now, there is no stable build 'master', with forks for additions. Without that, the git repo is just a trainwreck, and we're never going t have good participation. I think we should have a 2.5.2 masterbranch, for people to do things with, if they wish, and a 2.x master branch, that has all of the known-stable additions/changes to date, that you, Gleeok, Saffith, and I have made.

That's the script drawing stuf, and probably some npc and object stuff.

This will allow interested people an entry point to download, compile, and test; and a point to make their own contributions.

Tamamo
06-24-2016, 10:45 PM
I have the .proj files from the old 2.50.1 source pack. I had originally intended to make a pacage with that too, but overall a makefile is always the way to go for other people to use it.

We need to discuss policies though, for Git. As of now, there is no stable build 'master', with forks for additions. Without that, the git repo is just a trainwreck, and we're never going t have good participation. I think we should have a 2.5.2 masterbranch, for people to do things with, if they wish, and a 2.x master branch, that has all of the known-stable additions/changes to date, that you, Gleeok, Saffith, and I have made.

That's the script drawing stuf, and probably some npc and object stuff.

This will allow interested people an entry point to download, compile, and test; and a point to make their own contributions.

I vouched already for separating them into two repositories. But gleeok isn't arsed enough to do it apparently.

Tamamo
06-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Saffith Gleeok

obj/bind.o: src/bind.h src/config.h
$(CC) $(OPTS) $(CFLAG) -c src/bind.h -o obj/bind.o $(SFLAG) $(WINFLAG)

I'm doing something wrong here not sure what though. :/

Gleeok
06-25-2016, 05:39 PM
You know that header files are not supposed to produce object files right?

Tamamo
06-25-2016, 05:53 PM
You know that header files are not supposed to produce object files right?

Then it needs to be included in another cpp file.

Gleeok
06-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Then it needs to be included in another cpp file.

Que? Donde esta mi medicamento? No habla Engles.

Tamamo
06-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Find your own medicine, and you mispelled Inglés.

I meant it needs to be added to the other make lines for the cpps that include it gleeok.

Gleeok
06-25-2016, 08:47 PM
I tried looking for "another.cpp" file but it doesn't exist. ;)

Saffith
06-25-2016, 10:22 PM
The makefile only needs that information so that it can tell which object files depend on what and therefore what needs rebuilt when a file changes. It'll still build correctly without it; it just won't always know what to build. I'll add it in, but, honestly, the makefile's in such bad shape that it's probably a better idea to build from scratch every time anyway. I've been meaning to add a build-deps target for a while now...

Tamamo
06-26-2016, 12:57 AM
I already know what I have to do. I'm japanese, I don't speak english as a first language mkay.

obj/zquest.o: src/zquest.cpp src/bind.h src/config.h src/colors.h src/editbox.h src/EditboxNew.h src/ffasm.h src/ffc.h src/ffscript.h src/fontsdat.h src/gamedata.h src/gui.h src/items.h src/jwin.h src/jwinfsel.h src/load_gif.h src/midi.h src/parser/Compiler.h src/qst.h src/save_gif.h src/sfx.h src/sprite.h src/subscr.h src/tab_ctl.h src/tiles.h src/zc_alleg.h src/zcmusic.h src/zdefs.h src/zq_class.h src/zq_cset.h src/zq_custom.h src/zq_doors.h src/zq_files.h src/zq_init.h src/zq_misc.h src/zq_subscr.h src/zq_tiles.h src/zquest.h src/zquestdat.h src/zsys.h
$(CC) $(OPTS) -D_ZQUEST_SCALE_ $(CFLAG) -c src/zquest.cpp -o obj/zquest.o $(SFLAG) $(WINFLAG)

Saffith
Might want to get on that.

Gleeok
06-26-2016, 03:27 AM
Ah, that's right. Now I remember why I never use makefiles.

ZoriaRPG
06-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I already know what I have to do. I'm japanese, I don't speak english as a first language mkay.

obj/zquest.o: src/zquest.cpp src/bind.h src/config.h src/colors.h src/editbox.h src/EditboxNew.h src/ffasm.h src/ffc.h src/ffscript.h src/fontsdat.h src/gamedata.h src/gui.h src/items.h src/jwin.h src/jwinfsel.h src/load_gif.h src/midi.h src/parser/Compiler.h src/qst.h src/save_gif.h src/sfx.h src/sprite.h src/subscr.h src/tab_ctl.h src/tiles.h src/zc_alleg.h src/zcmusic.h src/zdefs.h src/zq_class.h src/zq_cset.h src/zq_custom.h src/zq_doors.h src/zq_files.h src/zq_init.h src/zq_misc.h src/zq_subscr.h src/zq_tiles.h src/zquest.h src/zquestdat.h src/zsys.h
$(CC) $(OPTS) -D_ZQUEST_SCALE_ $(CFLAG) -c src/zquest.cpp -o obj/zquest.o $(SFLAG) $(WINFLAG)

Saffith
Might want to get on that.

I have to ask, as I initially thought that was [sarcasm], but I can't be sure: Japanese?

Grayswandir ... We need to figure out why he can't get allegro to compile. I'm betting this is one of those things that was fixed in 4.3/4.4.

I might do a test Linux build though.

I vouched already for separating them into two repositories. But gleeok isn't arsed enough to do it apparently.

It goes beyond that. We don't use Git the way it is meant to work, which is why this is such a flipping mess/nightmare. I'll start a thread on this, and see where it goes, but we need a stable commit before anything will ever work properly.

Grayswandir
06-29-2016, 06:20 AM
This is the makefile I used to get 2.6 to build, if you want it as a reference: http://pastebin.com/KdW6XEGS
It's only for linux. I moved stuff into a src directories and such, and set it up to use wildcards and automated dependency generation instead of listing every file's dependencies manually.

Not that I'm terribly aware of what's going on, but I don't see the advantage of splitting repositories - it's the same program, after all. You can make all the branches you want.

Saffith
06-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks, that'll help a lot. I really ought to learn to do makefiles properly at some point...

I'm planning to delete the 2.60 folder and create a proper branch for 2.50.x, and probably another for further 2.x versions. Meant to do it over the weekend, but, y'know, stuff.