PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare's Character Battle 2016

Nightmare
04-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Been about 13 years since I did this.....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle.gif

Make your picks, first round. Also, bitch about any potential matchups here.

-James

Tamamo
04-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Why the fuck is Ilias not in this?

mrz84
04-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I don't remember how this works...is there a vote or do you just Mugen the matches or something?

Either way, I'm gonna put my trust in the Blue Bomber (Mega Man - Classic) and my favorite of Final Fantasy villains (and the biggest for LOLz guy ever) Kefka from FF6.

As for predictions...I wanna say Cloud V. Sephiroth just seems like a thing that's just waiting to happen, but that's just me.

Nightmare
04-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't remember how this works...is there a vote or do you just Mugen the matches or something?

Either way, I'm gonna put my trust in the Blue Bomber (Mega Man - Classic) and my favorite of Final Fantasy villains (and the biggest for LOLz guy ever) Kefka from FF6.

As for predictions...I wanna say Cloud V. Sephiroth just seems like a thing that's just waiting to happen, but that's just me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle.gif This is a bracket for you to print out (.GIF form)

Works like the old GameFAQ's Character Battles.

But anyway, pick who you think will win every match. Only taking Round 1 for now (since we don't know who will advance). Cross-forum, most picks win. Feel free to make later round predictions though.

No gambling (need to say this since it's like the NCAA/GameFAQs brackets and we're adults. This is for fun)

-James

mrz84
04-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I'll check over that later and submit my picks. Lots of potential matches though that would be interesting to watch.

Gleeok
04-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Tough competition.

I'm going to go with Chun Li over Pac Man in a PG-13 family-safe match, otherwise Pac Man takes it hands down. I'm sure any spread will be covered as well.

Nightmare
04-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Tough competition.

I'm going to go with Chun Li over Pac Man in a PG-13 family-safe match, otherwise Pac Man takes it hands down. I'm sure any spread will be covered as well.

Fill out the bracket and get it back to me. Spreadsheet or GIF appreciated.

I'll check over that later and submit my picks. Lots of potential matches though that would be interesting to watch.

After Day 2 of voting:

Kefka/Mega Man, Deadpool/Mewtwo, and Sonic/Ganon possibilities good enough for you in the 2nd round?
Lots of matches look like they might come down to the wire, so vote if you're interested.
Major, major upset still in play.
I feel sorry for Liu Kang. The star of the Mortal Kombat movie is looking like he won't even get a sympathy vote. How times change from 1994 to 2016.

-James

mrz84
04-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Well, dang. Kefka and Mega Man gotta fight. Unfortunately I know Kefka has this fight in the bag so that's my vote. As for the other 2, I'd say Mewtwo can take the match (if he mind wipes Deadpool), otherwise deadpool wins. Ganny could beat non-Super Sonic with ease (so I vote Ganny).

Nightmare
04-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Still waiting for your 1st round bracket mrz84

EDIT: Day 3 of voting:

Liu Kang gets a sympathy vote:

Link (Classic) and Vader crushing
Alucard, Kefka, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ganon, Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake, Bowser, Batman, Link (OoT), Mario, Zero, SIMON BELMONT, Wolverine, Sephiroth, and a MAJOR UPSET in good shape

Still many ties. Looking for a way to break them.

UPDATE 2: Early projections:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Early%20Projections.gif

-James

Tamamo
04-07-2016, 09:22 AM
There are too many choices still Nightmare. Please eliminate around half of them. I am not a crackpot.

Nightmare
04-07-2016, 11:50 AM
There are too many choices still Nightmare. Please eliminate around half of them. I am not a crackpot.

Well, it's the first round. We will narrow them down as the rounds go on.

-James

mrz84
04-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Do I just post my R1 picks here or PM them?

Nightmare
04-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Do I just post my R1 picks here or PM them?

Just PM them to me in .GIF or spreadsheet form (if possible)

-James

Nightmare
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%20R2.gif

Round 2, start voting.

Round 1 notes:

1. Green Ranger won outright! While I tried to favor unknown characters in ties, I probably would not have advanced the Green Ranger in a tie. So just so you know, that was a legit win by one vote.

2. Simon Belmont, oh my, Simon Belmont. Why were you never in GameFAQ's brackets? You are such a treasure to classic players.

3. Bad day for Sony characters and Mortal Kombat. Both got ejected pretty ruthlessly.

4. Finally, Master Chief wins one that's not against a nobody!

Gleeok
04-08-2016, 01:04 AM
I guess the metal slime ran away in round 1. ..figures it would do that.

Nightmare
04-08-2016, 01:54 AM
I'll write up previews now that we don't have 32 matches:

1. Link (Classic) vs. Master Chief
YAY! Master Chief got off the snide, finally winning a match vs. a reputable character. I think his momentum will clearly end here, maybe with a sympathy vote or two. Classic Link is one of those characters that transcends time and history, Master Chief doesn't do that.
Prediction: Link (Classic)

2. Kyo Kusanagi vs. Alucard
While it clearly showed last round that Darkrai isn't very well known outside of the Pokemon community, I think Kyo has a serious uphill battle here. Beating a game-specific character is possible, even for a character that's from a minor game, but Alucard, who's been in several Castlevania games in a few generations, just don't think so.
Prediction: Alucard

3. Kefka vs. Mega Man (Classic)
Thsi one is painful for me to make a personal pick on. Kefka is the epitome of villains, Mega Man is classic. This one hurts.
Prediction: TCTC

4. Deadpool vs. Mewtwo
This should be fun. Here you literally have a character that springboarded in popularity from a video game (Marvel vs. Capcom 3), got people to read his comics, and recently had a $350 million movie. On the other side, the undisputed #1 popular character from a game that has generated billions of dollars, and screams he's too powerful, and also an icon. I think it'll be divided here.

5. Darth Vader vs. Heihachi Mishima
I love Tekken, I really do. But I don't see any way Heihachi gets anything more than a sympathy vote here. Vader transcends all people, sorry.
Prediction: Darth Vader

6. Ganon vs. Sonic the Hedgehog
This is just wrong. I personally can't pick one unless it comes down to a tie, I love 'em both, even being a classic Nintendo fanboy. The fans should eat this one up.
Prediction: Play Browl or Smash 4, have them battle, pick your winner that way, lol.

7. Wesker vs. Crono
It's amazing how Crono defies time: His game has taken a hit in recent years; yet, he still beats a recent trend like Iron Man. He'll have his hands full here, against another fan favorite. This might be the end of Crono.
Prediction: Wesker

8. Pac-Man vs. Solid Snake
Battle of icons, from two different eras. If this was TG, Pac-Man wins hands down. If this is GameFAQs, Snake wins hands down. Depends on the age and demographic, though I think Snake takes this.
Prediction: Solid Snake

9. Green Ranger vs. M. Bison
I really, really hated the last round. Lame show vs. one of the characters I hate the absolute most. I don't understand Power Rangers popularity, honestly. But it's there. Bison has not been polling well either. I think I lose this pick, and the Green Ranger rides into the Sweet 16.
Prediction: Green Ranger

10. Vegeta vs. Dante
I really distaste DB-Z too, so I'm kinda biased here. Don't like Dante, but I think he's cooler and should beat the crap out of Vegeta.
Prediction: Dante (close)

11. Bowser vs. Batman
A lot of people like Bowser, but I just think he's a terrible villain compared to Ganon or Kefka for example. And he's going against Batman. I don't think Bowser has a chance, but then again, he is a Nintendo character. You never know
Prediction: Batman

12. Kyogre vs. Link (OoT)
Once again, one of those really, really dependent on where you are type of matchups. If I was to run this on a Pokemon Board, Kyogre (commonly called Ky00ber), would tear a new asshole into Link. If this was GameFAQs, Link would crush. I think this depends on who votes, really. The unstoppable force vs. the immovable object.
Prediction: Link (OoT)

13. Mario vs. Zero
Another dream matchup, and we are probably an Inafune-strike away from having Zero in Smash honestly.
Prediction: Mario (close)

14. Simon Belmont vs. Goku
This furthers my argument, why the hell did Simon Belmont never, EVER make a GameFAQs Character Battle? He whipped those Hadoukens back at Ryu so hard that Ryu couldn't even get out of the way. Personally, I hope he whips those Kamehame-ha's back at Goku as well. I really, Really, REALLY distaste DB-Z and really don't understand why Simon is blackballed at GameFAQ's despite being the main of one of the bigger NES series.
Prediction: Simon Belmont (not close)

15. Wolverine vs. Brick
Apologize ahead of time for sounding possibly racist, but Brick just carries a different type of player in his popularity tree, just from Borderlands and being a character of color. I think he's a tough out for any character because of this and will cause a lot of loyalty/hate and could force a lot of ties and close matches. Further this being a battle of two badasses, this could be as close as the Zelda match.

16. Sephiroth vs. Captain Falcon
HI HO! CLOUD STRIFE IS DEAD! But his evil counterpart still exists. I think it's only a matter of time until Sephiroth makes Smash 4 as well (or the next Smash game). This match might unfortunately become a reality later on, but for now, it's fantasy. Personally liking the race car driver better, I think it'll be close. I also don't think FF7 polls well outside of GameFAQ's either.

EDIT: Day 2 updates:

Day 2 updates:

1. No one's safe. More upsets possibly.
2. Poor Kyo and Sephiroth. They are being absolutely trucked.

Nightmare
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Early Projections time:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Early%20Projections%20R2.gif

The one thing I'm going to say, the licensed characters who are doing exceptionally well (Batman, Wolverine, Deadpool ESPECIALLY, and Darth Vader) all have had some kind of a prominent role in a video game.

Batman: Arkham Knight series (nuff said)
Wolverine: VS. Series
Deadpool: Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Darth Vader: Soul Calibur 4

We'll see where this plays out.

-James

Nightmare
04-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Round 3:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%20R3.gif

1. Conflicting fanbases keep votes close.

2. Some big upsets: Mario and Snake gone, (to some) Sephiroth gets blown out. We will see some new faces this year

3. Dante makes the Sweet 16! Finally he shows up, boosted by Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

4. Ode to Deadpool: It was nice knowing you, especially that your back was built on video games. We will miss you.

Now for the matchups:

1. Link (Classic) vs. Alucard

Both have been around for a while and carry serious fanbases. Will we have a Symphony of the Night, or will we EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME, VAMPIRE?

2. Kefka vs. Mewtwo

Another one of those irresitable forces vs. immovable object type of matchups. Will the Evil Magitek Knight make the Pokemon King a Goner, or will Mewtwo sacrifice himself for another victory?

3. Darth Vader vs. Ganon

Will we we brooding in the Dark Side, or will Vader be Ganon-banned to the Evil Jar?

4. Crono vs. Pac-Man

Two surprises. Crono's still strong, and Pac-Man upset Solid Snake. Battle of Classics.

5. Green Ranger vs. Dante.

Will the Green Ranger beat up more weak competition, or will Dante finally make an Elite Eight?

6. Batman vs. Link (OoT)

Fireworks here, for sure. Batman put Bowser in his rightful place, but will he do so to the Hero of Time. Wait and see.

7. Zero vs. Simon Belmont

Oh my GameFAQs, oh my GameFAQs, why do youuuuuu, keep me out? I will hope, to do some whipping, to that robot, Zero!

8. Wolverine vs. Captain Falcon

Will we slice and dice to Rated R, or will there be a Falcon Punch to victory?

Nightmare
04-13-2016, 11:12 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%20R4.gif

Notes:

1. Link isn't as strong of a character when all his iterations aren't lumped all together: The Links are separate characters, and it shows

2. Vader's out. Probably the biggest upset so far. I did not expect this.

3. The Green Ranger's run comes to a bitter end.

4. The Legend of Zelda representative is not Link, but pig-nose himself. You will be Ganon-Banned to the Evil Jar!

5. Zero vs. Wolverine: Let Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 decide the winner?

Matchup previews

1. Alucard vs. Kefka

Will Alucard grab his sword and avenge evil, or will Kefka make Alucard go like Dracula and be a goner?

2. Ganon vs. Crono

Upset of the tournament. Will we be travelling in time, or will Crono be Ganon-Banned to the Evil Jar?

3. Dante vs. Batman

Green Ranger's run ends in a tight one, can Dante pull more momentum, or will Batman put a crushing on the weak bracket?

4. Zero vs. Wolverine

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 anyone? Let that decide the winner

Nightmare
04-16-2016, 02:16 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%20F4.gif

Notes:

1. Matches were pretty close. Only Batman ran away with it.

2. Numbers are better than claws.

Previews:

Kefka vs. Ganon

Will we have a monument to non-existance, or will Kefka be cursed with Demise like Link and Zelda?

Batman vs. Zero

Will the Batmobile be brand spanking new, or will Batman be hunted down like a maverick?

Vote away!

-James

Gleeok
04-18-2016, 04:51 AM
I'll go Ganon over Kefka on the assumption that Kefka doesn't have any Silver Arrows, and Batman over Zero for no good reason other than "why not."

Tim
04-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Kefka and Zero for me.

Kefka takes the cake.

Nightmare
04-19-2016, 05:52 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%20Championship. gif

The Championship, Final Four wasn't even close.

Will we be claiming the Golden Power, or will we be coming back to save the world after devastation.

Vote Away!

-James

Tim
04-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Since Kefka fell off, I choose Zero.

mrz84
04-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Ganny will be my winner pick.

Nightmare
04-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Gleeok, you're the last one left.

-James

Gleeok
04-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Scrap metals I tells ya.

Ganon = 1, Zero = 0.

Nightmare
04-25-2016, 08:44 AM
And the winner of Nightmare's Character Battle 2016 is.....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/ganoncartoon.gif

Ganon!

"Look at this place, my throne room is a mess, you traitors! You will clean it up completely, with your tongues!"

Round-by-round voting is here:

http://https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/Nightmare%27s%20Character%20Battle%202016.xlsx

Tim
04-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Florida wants a recount.

Nightmare
04-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Florida wants a recount.

trollolololololol.

-James