PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much? A Zelda Classic Quandry.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-17-2016, 11:48 PM
I just finished the first stages of my newest project in ZC. Here I've been avoiding doing any kind of heavy scripting for my previous project and now I'm looking at a script file that has over 600 lines of code and is still growing. But my question is not about scripts, but about opinions.

How much is too much? In this case, how many items is too many items.

In the current set up, I finished crafting a new subscreen to cover all the yummy yummy loot that the new project will be providing to players. At the current moment, there are 24 different useable items (that is, assignable to a button and use it) and another 23 items that either have an effect when you do something specific or just work their mojo without any effort on your part. There is a possibility that more items could be added to the quest as well. Note that this does not include heart containers or pieces, magic containers, ammo items, rupee types or anything else like that.

So what's your opinion? Is there a such thing as too many items?

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-21-2016, 03:24 PM
*bump* No one has an opinion on this?

mrz84
03-21-2016, 06:19 PM
I have yet to use scripts in any quest I've ever planned so I really can't weigh in on this. However I think that there should be a limit you as the creator of the quest set that you are willing to use.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-22-2016, 12:38 AM
So basically as long as the items aren't completely asinine, there really isn't one? That might be a good thing since as of the last post I ended up adding 4 more items, though I did remove one.

bigjoe
03-22-2016, 12:59 AM
The sky is the limit! Just remember that you don't want to overload the player with choices. If you have a lot of items, be sure they serve varied enough functions that you're not forcing the player to keep switching back and forth constantly.

mrz84
03-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I suppose that's true. The items should all have effects that are worth using throughout the quest without constant switching. That and my previous statement are both things that all quest makers should consider (and is also why I haven't completed the production of any of my quests in the past few years. I want to make sure I don't overdue anything...perhaps I'm taking it too seriously? :shrug: Who knows?)