PDA

View Full Version : Link Shield Issue 2.50.2

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Not sure if this can even be fixed but I'm hoping it can since I just spend the last hour trying to create a custom shield only to have the graphics fail when I tested.

Item Editor -> Shields: Link Tile Offset doesn't recognize a value of 1040 which is the next page after the Mirror Shield. Tested this both using the needed value of 1040 (for the shield I made) and changed it back to 780 (mirror shield) Mirror shield graphic worked fine, but it would not recognize the new sprites set up for the higher value. I basically copy-pasted all the sprites from the Z3 Magic Shield section then modified the tiles that show the shield, taking great pains to make sure the tiles were exactly where they were in relation to the page I took them from, and all of them were carried over. The result was a shield-less link during testing with the larger value.

Tamamo
03-11-2016, 08:31 PM
make sure you have equipment item checked.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Do you really think I would make that kind of a rookie mistake? Oh ye of little faith. That was the first thing I checked when I realized it wasn't working.

As an addendum, I hope that didn't come out sounding rude.

Tamamo
03-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Do you really think I would make that kind of a rookie mistake? Oh ye of little faith. That was the first thing I checked when I realized it wasn't working.

As an addendum, I hope that didn't come out sounding rude.

Does the shield have it's item level set? It needs to be higher then 3.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-13-2016, 09:06 AM
It's set to level 4.

Tamamo
03-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Damn it, we have a bug then most likely. :(

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I thought as much.

ZoriaRPG
03-22-2016, 06:31 AM
What strikes me as odd here, is that I fairly recall that people have done this in older Zelda Classic versions. (We may need to determine if this bug was in 2.50.0.)

Saffith
03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Can't reproduce. Can you provide a demo?

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Not sure how I would do that.

Tamamo
03-23-2016, 08:40 AM
I couldn't reproduce it either Lelouch Vi Britannia, that's why we played 20 questions for a bit.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Since I can't get it to work, I'm going to assume that this could be a PEBKAC error. That said, what are all the steps one must take to make a shield work, and I'll see if I missed something important.

ZoriaRPG
03-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Not sure how I would do that.

Option One
If you are on PureZC--I do not recall seeing you therre under this username--you may open a project for the quest. Make it private, upload the quest file as a 'download demo' and add Saffith, and me, as 'advisor' category staff. From there, we can access it easily. You may also want to add Dimentio, Gleeok, and Grayswandir if you go with this option, as that could net faster results. The quest would only be something that advisers (that accept the invitation) can download, so you aren't sharing it with the world. It is therefore, the most 'secure', in terms of people later inadvertently stumbling on it.

Option Two
If you use Skype, you may send the file to me directly, and I will (1) examine it, and (2) propagate it to Saffith, and everyone else involved with ZC development and bug eradication, by uploading it to a server that we can all access easily. This has moderate security, as only a few of us know the path to where I will place the file, and it won't be easy to stumble upon, but spidering/indexing enginesmight crawl it and it could pop up in search results, although this is a very low probability.

Option Three
If you wish to send it to me by e-mail, send me a PM, and I will give you an email address; and follow the same parameters as Option One; to distribute it and test it. The security would be identical to Option Two.

Option Three
You can hop on over to the insomnia247.nl IRC channel, and ask for a free server account. That'll give you a decent chunk of real server space, that you can use for anything. You can then upload the file with FTP or SSH/SFTP, and alert us to it.

The up-side to this, is that you could build an entire website for your quest, but the downside is that getting someone to open the account is neither guaranteed, nor always expedient. It is however, a fantastic little community, and if you enjoy IRC, you might want to hop on over tot he channel just to introduce yourself, and meet the others. That way, if you later do want server space, you are far more likely to get it. This has flexible security, as you will be able to define things, such as .htaccess files, and require custom authentication.

Option Four
You could use a file-sharing site, and either (1) PM the URL (link to the file) to all of us (indicated above), or (2) and post a URL here in the thread. Of these sub-choices in Option Four, (2) is this is the least secure, as anyone will be able to download it.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Opted for Option 1 but it won't let me put the quest up until I have 10 posts... Silly rules. I'll look over the Forum there later and see if I can't find anything to contribute. Till then, I'm going to back burner the shield for now. Its not integral this phase of quest building anyway.

Saffith
03-24-2016, 10:13 PM
I suspect using a quest project for that would be frowned upon, anyway. It's not really meant to be a general file sharing system.

Since I can't get it to work, I'm going to assume that this could be a PEBKAC error. That said, what are all the steps one must take to make a shield work, and I'll see if I missed something important.
I doubt it. There's not much to it. Set the class and level, make it an equipment item, and it should work. Anything beyond that is just settings.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-25-2016, 10:45 PM
I double checked the tile offset setting as well. Still showing up shield-less when I try.

Saffith
03-25-2016, 11:33 PM
Try changing it to something else and see if it does what you'd expect. Also, try changing the tile offset on one of the other shields and see if that doesn't work.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Changed offset to 780 (setting for Mirror Shield): Link has Mirror Shield visible as expected
Changed offset to 520 (setting for Magical Shield): Link has Magical Shield visible as expected
Changed offset to 1040 (setting for new shield): Link not showing a shield equipped despite all sprites provided on the page

ywkls
03-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Changed offset to 780 (setting for Mirror Shield): Link has Mirror Shield visible as expected
Changed offset to 520 (setting for Magical Shield): Link has Magical Shield visible as expected
Changed offset to 1040 (setting for new shield): Link not showing a shield equipped despite all sprites provided on the page

Are these the numbers shown on the screen of the item editor whenever you look at the box that says Link Tile Modification(LTM) or the cumulative amounts of these three items LTM's?

As I recall, LTM's are cumulative. Which means if 520 is Magical Shield and 780 is Mirror Shield the actual LTM for the Mirror Shield is 1300.

I don't know if this is the source of the problem, but nobody had suggested it yet so I thought I should check to see if you had thought of this little wrinkle.

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Well, 260 is the offset for normal shield, 0 is shield-less. Therefore...

260 + 260 = 520 (Magic Shield)
520 + 260 = 780 (Mirror Shield)

Ergo, 780 + 260 should theoretically equal custom shield as that syncs up with the tile numbers within the same pattern, 1040 in this case. What you're suggesting doesn't make sense in this case but I'll try it anyway...

*runs test*

... Now I'm even more confused. Link has the small shield with a 1300 offset... Let me see something here

*runs back to editor*

And I just figured out the issue. The quest is set up to use Z1 link animations, I set the page up for Z3 animations which was a lot more work and the animation style wasn't synching up. In fact an offset of 1040 was (wait for it) BS Zelda version Link... shieldless....

I have a lot of work to do to correct this now, but at least the mystery is solved. My new offset is 3120 and I have to redo the animation page.

MODS: Please feel free to close this thread as solved.

Edit: Oddly though, under sprites-> Link setting the default for Z3 seems to show errors in the sample animations, there are a lot of black out spaces for some reason. Maybe I should look into this instead....

Final Edit: Shield is now working. Thanks to everyone for your help.

ywkls
03-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Leave it to the person who knows little or nothing about LTM's to suggest something that solves the problem. Even though my idea wasn't what was wrong, it led you to what was and that's all that matters. Fare thee well with your questing!

Lelouche Vi Britannia
03-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Leave it to the person who knows little or nothing about LTM's to suggest something that solves the problem. Even though my idea wasn't what was wrong, it led you to what was and that's all that matters. Fare thee well with your questing!

I learn something new everyday.

Tamamo
06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
After rereading the thread I want to confirm this is not a bug, but a user error right?

Lelouche Vi Britannia
06-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Correct, I was set to a different animation style which didn't reference what I wanted it to. Problem is solved.