PDA

View Full Version : NES on an HDTV

King Aquamentus
09-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Some people are saying that this doesn't work, other people report having no problems simply linking them up. Unfortunately I'm not one of the latter.

Brasel, I'm particularly curious about your setup, assuming you use an HDTV?

Anarchy_Balsac
09-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Use the AV cables and it should work. The RC Adapter may give you trouble because it uses the old analog channel switching system that isn't very compatible with digital TVs.

And if your TV hasn't "detected" a channel 3 or 4 in your area, it may not switch to them at all.

VEL
09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
From what I've heard some HDTVs have problems with older systems, and some work fine. I have one TV that doesn't work with the older games correctly, the picture keeps jumping up and down.

Anarchy_Balsac
09-27-2015, 12:48 PM
From what I've heard some HDTVs have problems with older systems, and some work fine. I have one TV that doesn't work with the older games correctly, the picture keeps jumping up and down.

But are you using the RC Adaptor or AV cables. I've NEVER had a problem with ANY system if I used the AV cables.

SUCCESSOR
09-27-2015, 03:47 PM
I haven't had any problems. It doesnt look great but there were no issues at all. No adapters my tv has composite.

King Aquamentus
09-27-2015, 06:29 PM
my HDTV returns an error message when I switch to composite and turn my NES on.

"Unsupported Mode" (and yes, I'm using AV cables to do this)

People have been telling me that this is because an NES will not work with an HDTV due to changes over the years in display technology. Apparently even in here though, that's utter bull, as people have no problem just connecting the AV cables.

SUCCESSOR
09-27-2015, 08:57 PM
it might depend on the model of the tv, but I have never heard of that. It seems like if the tv would come with composite audio and video it would support older devices like consoles, vcrs, etc.

SUCCESSOR
09-27-2015, 08:58 PM
go throw down $10 dollar on a big ol' old school tv for your nes. :nerd:

Anarchy_Balsac
09-27-2015, 09:40 PM
AV =/= composite. Your TV should have a mode for each type of input, including AV. I didn't even know composite/component could work with an NES in the first place.

SUCCESSOR
09-27-2015, 11:03 PM
AV =/= composite. Your TV should have a mode for each type of input, including AV. I didn't even know composite/component could work with an NES in the first place.

A/V is not composite? Either I have been misinformed or somethings changed. I believe it is called composite because the red, green, and blue signals are combined through one. And all NES toasters have composite video.

http://rnc.free.fr/nesmod/nesmod1/nintendo-nes-euro.jpg

Anarchy_Balsac
09-27-2015, 11:15 PM
A/V is not composite? Either I have been misinformed or somethings changed. I believe it is called composite because the red, green, and blue signals are combined through one. And all NES toasters have composite video.

[IMG.../IMG]

I've only ever seen it applied to Component, though, perhaps that has not always been the case.

rock_nog
09-28-2015, 11:37 AM
I've never had any problems using an NES with an HDTV with A/V cables. The RF adapter doesn't necessarily give the best signal, but it's worked just fine for me, too.

VEL
09-28-2015, 01:00 PM
But are you using the RC Adaptor or AV cables. I've NEVER had a problem with ANY system if I used the AV cables.

It was happening with the av cables. I did some research at the time and I think some of the earlier HDTVs had problems with it. It might not have been that common.

Brasel
09-28-2015, 05:24 PM
I've never had a problem using composite cables with an NES on an HD TV. I've had three different models of TV over the years, with no problems. No display issues, or input lag. I've had a Westinghouse, a Panasonic, and a Samsung TV. However, I HAVE had an issue running my SNES or GameCube through S-Video and an Elgato capture device on my Samsung. I receive a similar error to what you are seeing with your NES. My guess is that you have one of the rare TVs that just doesn't work with HD. Do you have access to another HD TV that you could try this with? A friend's maybe? It could at least rule out any issues with the NES, not that I would assume there are any.

That being said, NES looks pretty bad on HDTVs, even with composite audio/video cables. Genesis looks pretty bad as well. I still use my NES and Genesis on my HD TV for convenience, but when I feel like getting the best picture possible for the equipment I currently have, I just go with a good ol' tube TV. You can output SNES to S-Video, and if your HDTV takes that hookup, it looks REALLY good. Not RGB good, but good.

King Aquamentus
09-28-2015, 05:56 PM
classic model NES has two ports on the side for those cables. a single video and audio jack, yellow and red.
I've at least confirmed this is supposed to work, I guess. :/
This HDTV was from this year. Vizio D32h-c0.

SUCCESSOR
09-28-2015, 09:16 PM
classic model NES has two ports on the side for those cables. a single video and audio jack, yellow and red.
I've at least confirmed this is supposed to work, I guess. :/
This HDTV was from this year. Vizio D32h-c0.

Check if you can change display modes while AV input is selected. Maybe your TV is trying to apply some kinda of video adjustment that is incompatible with the NES signal. Try turning off any "features" your model might have. You might also try getting some kind of tech support for your TV model. Have you confirmed the cord/nes works on another tv?

King Aquamentus
09-28-2015, 10:19 PM
I'll have to do that later, too tired tonight, plus work soon. But I'll give it a try eventually