PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Unreal Engine?

Majora
09-22-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm exploring whatever methods I can to try making my ZC Quest in something less restrictive. Game Maker is kind of an option even though I'm too retarded to get anywhere with it.

For shits and giggles though. I want to make the first screen of my quest (which is the first screen I ever made in ZC, coincidentally) in 3D. Shouldn't be -too- hard with something like UE. But I'm too retarded for that too. Nevertheless I'm going to keep throwing myself at that wall until either the wall breaks or I can't throw myself anymore.

All those videos of "see this nintendo character made in Unreal Engine because Nintendo has its head stuck too far up its ass for it to ever make anything like this!" kinda gave me the itch to give it a crack and Unreal Engine is free at least. (Although, they're not shy about shoving assets at you that cost anywhere from $10-200. So its basically like a freemium game)

I've been messing with it for the past couple days and tried sticking a sword onto the default character/mannequin's hand (it comes with the engine and runs around and stuff) but that didn't work because the sword appeared pointing downwards about two feet in front of the character's foot.

Anarchy_Balsac
09-22-2015, 11:26 PM
I don't recommend using freeium game engines. If you get lost and try to Google how to's, you may stumble upon something you can do with the free stuff, or you may not. It's like making a migrane into a full blown headwound. Don't do it, just don't.

Tamamo
09-23-2015, 01:55 AM
I prefer Unity 3D to UE. But that's just me.

Majora
09-24-2015, 05:35 PM
After dicking around for a few days i've managed to cobble together something and might be able to churn out a screenshot in another day or two. Had a brief moment of physical giddyness when I imported the song (turned a MIDI into a WAV after running it through a soundfont of course) into the thing and previewed it. A (default featureless) guy running around a grassy area with a sword and shield on his back while the song plays. What I wouldn't give for large amount of money to hire people to do it for me while I tell them what to do and how to do it.

Oh right, I'm trying to recreate these two screens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhuooln29mll96t/zelda018.png?dl=0