PDA

View Full Version : [Romview-w] Fix, or Discontinue

ZoriaRPG
09-01-2015, 03:48 AM
Romview-w.exe hasn't worked on Win OS systems for years. I don't even recall if the version bundled with 2.50.0 ran on XP-32, but the divergence of compatibility with various Windows updates, has made it entirely unusable on modern systems. I'd advise deciding if you want to bundle it with 2.50.2, at all. Thus, either discontinue it, and remove it from Windows builds, or worry about keeping it running, despite the extremely small potential userbase.

I'm not certain that it's worth fixing, but if it doesn't work, it probably shouldn't be in the main package. If anything, distribute it as a separate download, and specify the OS limitations. Otherwise, if there is some configuration of execution settings that permit it to run on Win7 and later Windows releases, a readme.txt file would be prudent, to explain them.

I almost created a system-wise crash, by trying to run it in Win98 compatibility mode, with admin privileges. I was cleaver enough to break out of the crash, but it blanked my display, and stole most of my inputs. Ctl+Alt+Delete thrice allowed me to break into a prompt that recovered out of the video mode, but Alt+ATab did not shift out of its fullscreen view, which was of course, entirely blank.

XMuppetSB
09-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I think it's probably for the best for them not to bundle Romview with ZC anymore, because this piece of crap barely even works at all, no matter what operating system you use it on. It's so unstable, that it crashes all the time, and it's not useful for ripping sprites from ROMs at all.

Tamamo
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM
I vote to discontinue it