PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Theories

ctrl-alt-delete
06-16-2015, 10:54 PM
The Wooden Sword was made from the Deku Tree. DISCUSS.

CJC
06-16-2015, 11:28 PM
I'm inclined to say no because other wood from the Deku Tree (Deku Sticks) is flammable and fragile, while the wooden sword is neither flammable nor fragile.

Makes me wonder what kind of wood it's actually made of, or if there's a varnish that's protecting it (at least from flames).

ctrl-alt-delete
06-16-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm inclined to say no because other wood from the Deku Tree (Deku Sticks) is flammable and fragile, while the wooden sword is neither flammable nor fragile.

Makes me wonder what kind of wood it's actually made of, or if there's a varnish that's protecting it (at least from flames).

Wrong, Deku Sticks are from Deku Babas.

Nightmare
06-17-2015, 12:15 AM
It's a possibility, but nothing's confirmed.

-James

Gleeok
06-17-2015, 03:11 AM
The Wooden Sword was made from the Deku Tree. DISCUSS.

I always thought it was made from the Morning Tree. :saint:

Jaydeadone
06-17-2015, 04:12 AM
I always thought it was made from the Morning Tree. :saint:

That good sir....was clever..... ZING!

It could be from the Maku tree...

ctrl-alt-delete
06-17-2015, 09:58 AM
That good sir....was clever..... ZING!

It could be from the Maku tree...

I wouldn't think they would craft a sword from a live tree.

"You got the Wooden Sword. This truly is a sign of courage!" - Oracle of Seasons

You then use the Wooden Sword to "display your courage" to access the Maku Tree.

"The time has come to test thy courage." "Thou has verily demonstrated thy courage." - Deku Tree

Tim
06-17-2015, 10:49 AM
What if it was actually wood from the Mana Tree in a different universe. That would explain why the damn thing doesn't EVER break.

Jaydeadone
06-17-2015, 01:29 PM
What if it was actually wood from the Mana Tree in a different universe. That would explain why the damn thing doesn't EVER break.

or burn like mentioned....

It's a 'training' sword....and it's Japanese.....

I think it's a Shinai, but it very well could be a Bokken.

That would imply that it was made of a material like bamboo...and the only Loz game that I can think of where there were 'bamboo type' plants was 'Link's Awakening'...So quite possibly it comes from 'another universe' or dimension...
The dang thing is given to you by a crazy bearded man (I'm assuming prophet) in a cave in 'game one', then somehow finds it's way into your hands every game there after....
The shear fact that you are taking a wooden sword and whacking and welting the shyt out of your enemies is insane....I mean really think about it....a wooden sword would hurt like a son of a bytch but it would take a crap-ton of effort to kill something...over and over....

J~

ctrl-alt-delete
06-17-2015, 04:52 PM
or burn like mentioned....

It's a 'training' sword....and it's Japanese.....

I think it's a Shinai, but it very well could be a Bokken.

That would imply that it was made of a material like bamboo...and the only Loz game that I can think of where there were 'bamboo type' plants was 'Link's Awakening'...So quite possibly it comes from 'another universe' or dimension...
The dang thing is given to you by a crazy bearded man (I'm assuming prophet) in a cave in 'game one', then somehow finds it's way into your hands every game there after....
The shear fact that you are taking a wooden sword and whacking and welting the shyt out of your enemies is insane....I mean really think about it....a wooden sword would hurt like a son of a bytch but it would take a crap-ton of effort to kill something...over and over....

J~

It's only in four games.

The Oracle Games and The Legend of Zelda, which occur in the fallen hero timeline.

Twilight Princess, which occurs in the child timeline.

Note that no wooden sword appears in the adult timeline. Why not? Deku Sprout.

Jaydeadone
06-17-2015, 07:33 PM
It's only in four games.

The Oracle Games and The Legend of Zelda, which occur in the fallen hero timeline.

Twilight Princess, which occurs in the child timeline.

Note that no wooden sword appears in the adult timeline. Why not? Deku Sprout.

Good question master....

Lmao...

What a thing to notice.?..but indeed....interesting.

J~

CJC
06-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Huh, I always figured that Deku Babas were poisonous growths of the Deku Tree, grown because of the contamination of "that guy that stopped by and screwed everything up". But you make a good point, because the walls inside the Deku tree aren't flammable and they're also incredibly durable.

But does the wooden sword HAVE to be made of special material? I mean, it's used to kill cephalopods (which you could kill with a club) and insects (again, smashy smashy). The only time it's ever used to kill beasts that you would have to lacerate is in Zelda 1, and that could be perceived as a limitation of the engine. Even without puncturing the skin, Link has the physical strength to cause internal bleeding with a forceful thrust of the weapon, so he could certainly jab things to death with it, even made out of ordinary hardwood like maple.

What about the Deku Shield? Is it bark from the tree? And if it is, isn't it sort of twisted that the Kokiri are selling their leader's skin?

ctrl-alt-delete
06-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Huh, I always figured that Deku Babas were poisonous growths of the Deku Tree, grown because of the contamination of "that guy that stopped by and screwed everything up". But you make a good point, because the walls inside the Deku tree aren't flammable and they're also incredibly durable.

But does the wooden sword HAVE to be made of special material? I mean, it's used to kill cephalopods (which you could kill with a club) and insects (again, smashy smashy). The only time it's ever used to kill beasts that you would have to lacerate is in Zelda 1, and that could be perceived as a limitation of the engine. Even without puncturing the skin, Link has the physical strength to cause internal bleeding with a forceful thrust of the weapon, so he could certainly jab things to death with it, even made out of ordinary hardwood like maple.

What about the Deku Shield? Is it bark from the tree? And if it is, isn't it sort of twisted that the Kokiri are selling their leader's skin?

Babas, could be, but they're in Termina, far away from the Deku Tree's influence.

Of course it doesn't have to--but it's still an interesting idea, nonetheless. Especially considering the "prove your courage by showing a wooden sword" bit in Seasons. Why would an old man in a cave give away his presumably only line of defense? Unless of course he was told to only hand it to "a hero clothed in green?"

Interesting you mention the shield--although it isn't canon, Link crafted a Kokiri sword FROM the Deku tree bark in the Manga, so I feel there is some precedent here. (I only found this out when I googled to see if this theory had ever been presented before the night I came up with it.)

It seems likely to me that with the tree dead and Link leaving, perhaps somebody crafted a sword to commemorate the both of them.

King Aquamentus
06-18-2015, 05:09 PM
worth noting is that the wooden sword of the first Zelda is the only wooden sword capable of firing beams. Although this too can be argued as an artifact of early days, starting with this ability in both of the first two games led to it being very iconic of the first Link. I can get behind the idea that this is some extension of the Deku Tree's power.

Jaydeadone
06-19-2015, 03:13 AM
I don't think it's wood at all...it's a miss moniker....I think it's actually a high quality plastic...made to look like wood....but because nothing is plastic in Hyrule, the sages thought the sword was pretty bad ass...I heard they also have a shrine where they worship an old can of Rainier beer that washed ashore...

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics

TheDarkOne
06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
And what kind of wood will shoot out beams when the wielder is at full health? Admittedly, that's only in the first game (as far as I know)