PDA

View Full Version : Improved MIDI files for those who have difficulty with NSF.

zaphod77
05-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Long ago way back in the day, i took the midi files in zelda classic, and changed them.

here are my results.

http://eunich.cochems.com/~zaphod/zelda/

these midi files sound much more true to the nes version on every synth.

they sound particularly great on the ms software synth that most versions of windows have by default, and nearly any true XG and GS compatible synth.

seems i never bothered with gameover and ending. not sure why. i should probably revisit these and make them better.

bigjoe
06-05-2015, 02:11 PM
These are actually very nice sounding! The devs should give them a listen.

ZoriaRPG
06-08-2015, 12:42 AM
It would be nice if the ZC MIDI handler had internal support for soundfonts, that the user could define on a per-midi basis. That would greatly enhance what's possible at present.

Saffith
06-12-2015, 04:25 PM
By far the best attempt I've heard to make MIDIs sound like NES music. If you update the game over and ending songs, I think we should use these in 2.50.2.

zaphod77
08-16-2015, 01:50 AM
I suggest looking into bassmidi. If you can get that implemented, then you get soundfont support.

btw, there's a program floating around somewhere that converts NSF to midi. it does a VERY good job.

Legend of Zelda translates particularly well because it uses the standard square wave, and not the altered duty cycles.

Give it a try.

Only reason i didn't do it is cause getting the loop points is a pain, so i built on the efforts of the devs.

If i can find a good midi sequencer i'll try to fix those last two files.