PDA

View Full Version : No Passive Subscreen

Zim
03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
I once had a build with no passive subscreen options.
It was great because then it was like a real full-screen experience.

I just wrote up a racing game code that is pretty fun, but it would be a bunch better without a subscreen in the way.
Of course, I could fill it up with timers, laps, tire wear status, road conditions, and navigation equipment stuffs, maybe a missle
box and some spy-hunter-esque ammo counters, but where's all the no-passive-subscreen at all at dudes?

ZoriaRPG
05-25-2015, 02:13 AM
I once had a build with no passive subscreen options.
It was great because then it was like a real full-screen experience.

I just wrote up a racing game code that is pretty fun, but it would be a bunch better without a subscreen in the way.
Of course, I could fill it up with timers, laps, tire wear status, road conditions, and navigation equipment stuffs, maybe a missle
box and some spy-hunter-esque ammo counters, but where's all the no-passive-subscreen at all at dudes?

What? A build with no passive subscreen? What did ZC display in its place? The screen dimensions would need to draw entirely differently...

If you still have that build, please share it.

I thought of a way to make it look as if there was something up there, instead of the subscreen, with really awkward draw functions, but I didn't go far with it, because transitioning would be strange.

Samer
05-25-2015, 06:51 AM
I have never heard of this build, unless you made it yourself, or was some alpha that was never actualized.

I wouldn't know exactly, but I'm guessing it was completely gone and the window adjusted the sub-screen being removed.
I think it would look awkward in full-screen. It would seem that the area where the subscreen was supposed to be would look glitched out.

SUCCESSOR
05-25-2015, 07:53 AM
It's under Screen -> Screen Data

There is an option for no subscreen and an an option that doesnt adjust screen position if there is no subscreen.

ZoriaRPG
05-25-2015, 12:05 PM
It's under Screen -> Screen Data

There is an option for no subscreen and an an option that doesnt adjust screen position if there is no subscreen.

What is the combined behaviour, in terms of drawing screens? Does this extend the area, upward, and resize all the screens on a given DMAP to fit?

SUCCESSOR
05-25-2015, 05:15 PM
What is the combined behaviour, in terms of drawing screens? Does this extend the area, upward, and resize all the screens on a given DMAP to fit?

Everything is exactly the same. The screen size and coordinates do now change. The subscreen is simple not drawn and if the second option is not selected the screen is centered to equally the extra space left by the missing subscreen.

To clarify the flag disables all subscreens not just the passive. And unfortunately (very very unfortunately) it is applied on a screen by screen basis and you cannot draw to the subscreen space.

ZoriaRPG
05-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Everything is exactly the same. The screen size and coordinates do now change. The subscreen is simple not drawn and if the second option is not selected the screen is centered to equally the extra space left by the missing subscreen.

To clarify the flag disables all subscreens not just the passive. And unfortunately (very very unfortunately) it is applied on a screen by screen basis and you cannot draw to the subscreen space.

Oh, that's right... At one time, I thought this was to disable the active subscreen, then I tried it, found out what it did, and disabled InputStart instead.

SO, without changing screen dimensions, this doesn't do much, really. It restricts available space, more than increasing it; but I expect it's what people use for non-scripted cut-scenes.

I mucked with it a bit, and the only unusual effect, occurs if you offset one screen, and don't offset the screen above it. It pretends to scroll faster; a visual illusion. If you could control screen offset, you could do some wacky things with that, but you can't.

Not being able to draw there, doesn't make much sense: It must invalidate the screen coordinates. May as well leave the subscreen blank, and draw to that.

For the record, you could cheat, and write this flag to every screen in a game with a for loop; except again, you can't, because Screen Flags are read-only. :)
This is one of those things that would make sense as a DMAP Flag; although no-one uses it for entire DMAPs because of its limited usefulness.

There are however, screen flags that should be easy to set en masse, such as 'Treat as Dungeon Room' and 'Sideview', as well as others in the Room Type, View, Combos, and Enemies (the 'Always Return attribute, could be a DMAP attribute) categories.