PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions about ZQuest

GingerHunter797
03-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Hello, Im new and I have a few questions about ZQuest. I was wondering if it is possible to import your own graphics. If this is possible, could someone also tell me what size they need to be. If there are any size restrictions. Also would it be possible to import sounds and what file type they would have to be. Thanks in advance! :D

CJC
03-10-2015, 07:31 PM
For graphics, you're going to want to use the grabber.

In ZQuest, enter the Quest menu, go to Graphics, and go to Tiles. Grab is one of the options. The grabber grabs pixel by pixel, so generally you're going to want to keep sprites to a 16x16 pixel or 32x32 pixel scale so they're easy to manage.

As for sounds, go to the Quest menu, go to Audio, and pick SFX. This is the list of sound effects used for the game; you can select one and click edit to load a new sound effect into the slot. Items in the game use these slots to play their sound effects; you can find which slot they use (listed by number) in the item editor but certain sounds are hard-coded, so you'll want to be careful. I believe the SHIELD sound is used in a lot of places that you can't adjust manually, so it's best to leave that as a shield-esque sound. I don't know which other sounds are hard-coded but you should try experimenting to see what happens.

There are quest makers who make quests called TILESETS which have preset changes to the appearance of the game. However, tilesets in ZQuest don't import well because of the way the combo pages work. Instead, if you find a tileset you should save a copy and then build your quest in the tileset file. This also unfortunately means that once you've decided on a visual style, you're going to be stuck with it unless you want to start over. Just something to keep in mind.

Welcome to AGN and Zelda Classic!

Gleeok
03-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Check out some existing tilesets first. There's a crap ton of them and most of them look amazing.