PDA

View Full Version : You step away for 5 minutes...

SUCCESSOR
01-01-2015, 03:48 AM
So, yesterday I leave the house to take Ashley to work and hang out for a bit because she was alone when 3 fire trucks go by. thinking nothing of it I keep on hanging out when my sister pulls in a few minutes later and tells me my apartmwent is on fire.

long story short thefiremen tore out half our ceiling, flooded our apartment, and we cannot get to our stuff until the insurance investigator looks over the place. we got some clothes nd basic stuff and the landlord company put us up in a motel for a couple nights. Hopefully tomorrow we will have a new unit.

Gleeok
01-01-2015, 04:29 AM
Are you f*ing serious right now!? Wow. That's crazy. ...Hey, guess what? ..Happy new year! :P

That same thing happened to one of my friends about 8 years ago. Whole unit went up from top to bottom when nobody was there. They said it was the wiring.

CJC
01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope the insurance covers everything.

mrz84
01-02-2015, 11:18 PM
That's some serious stuff to happen at the start of the new year. Here's hoping things turn out ok. :kitty:

erm2003
01-03-2015, 01:56 AM
That really suck man. I hope you can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

bigjoe
01-03-2015, 04:10 AM
Hope things get better. Take comfort in the fact that no one got hurt.

MasterSwordUltima
01-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I had a fire in my apartment last year, and my scum-bag landlord told me to clean up as much as I could before the claims adjuster got there or MY insurance would go up. So I cleaned up, but not before taking a shit ton of pictures and explaining why I cleaned up to the adjuster (who understood what my landlord was trying to do).

CaRmAgE
01-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, I experienced a power outage this new year's day, but that's not as bad as dealing with your apartment being on fire. Hope you didn't lose anything important.

Brasel
01-05-2015, 11:16 AM
That sucks man. I hope you are able to get everything taken care of easily.

Chris Miller
01-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Whoa, that sucks dude.

I'm glad nobody got hurt at least.

SUCCESSOR
01-10-2015, 03:22 AM
The apartment was finally released. We spent most the day pulling stuff from it and moving it to the new place. Thankfully our new unit is just upstairs. Still a whole lot to look through and a lot of stuff to check for damage. Our Xbox 360 definitely came in contact with water. I am afraid to test it. Half because I may cry if the damn thing is broken and half because I don't want to supply power to it if there is any chance it may still have moisture inside. No warranty BTW.

CJC
01-10-2015, 03:37 AM
Well... hopefully the fire fighters cut the power before they sprayed the apartment. If that's the case, then the device wouldn't have had any power supply when exposed to water, so it MIGHT work if completely dried. I'm not sure how you'd verify it's dry, though.

Fingers crossed that the damage is minimal.

TheDarkOne
01-10-2015, 02:19 PM
I had some water damage to a computer I owned some 20-odd years ago, and drying it was simply accomplished by unscrewing a removing the outer casing and using a blow dryer. Not sure if that would work with the Xbox since I have never owned one, but it's just a suggestion. It did still work once it was dry, by the way.

Chris Miller
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
As long as it wasn't powered when they hosed it, it should be fine. Just open it up and let it have lots of drying time in the sun.