PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.50.1

Saffith
10-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Download links aren't on zeldaclassic.com yet. I'll edit this post when the site's been updated.

Windows (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxb1ktpawdmrckg/zc-2-50-1-win.zip)
Mac (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k4eg1u8ek0t5t1/zc-2-50-1-mac.tgz)
Linux (https://www.dropbox.com/s/61yhgi03sqsrusa/zc-2-50-1-linux.tar.gz)

Edit: Updated. If you downloaded before this message was here, please download it again

CJC
10-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Neat!

So I take it RC3 went well, then. Coolness, a new stable build is always good for the community.

luckilla
10-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Actually if you notice there were 24 fixes and improvements since RC3. They felt this was a stable enough build (many bug fixes, and improvements) for the community, but I totally agree it is coolness.

Saffith
10-05-2014, 11:23 AM
So, naturally, I screwed something up and you'll have to download it again. Sorry.

Nightmare
10-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I'll download it when I'm finished running through these two quests.

Just a stupid question: Can you expand the number of quest selection slots to 99? We shouldn't have limited memory anymore and I keep filling up slots in every install folder and have to make a new install folder every time.

Thanks.

-James

Gleeok
10-05-2014, 10:12 PM
So, naturally, I screwed something up and you'll have to download it again. Sorry.

Next release we should get a paypal pool going for this stuff! :D

I'll download it when I'm finished running through these two quests.

Just a stupid question: Can you expand the number of quest selection slots to 99? We shouldn't have limited memory anymore and I keep filling up slots in every install folder and have to make a new install folder every time.

Thanks.

-James

Good suggestion. This really should be dynamic memory anyway, and if so should have unlimited saves. ...How much of a change is needed, I'm not sure. If backwards compat with older save files is thrown out it really shouldn't be too difficult.

luckilla
10-06-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads/

Pineconn
10-10-2014, 09:29 PM
So, I take it that this is the definitive version of 2.5? It looks like the zeldaclassic.com download link is still the initial release of 2.5.

I'm considering getting back into the quest making business. I barely recognize ZQuest since using the 2.10 version five years ago.

CJC
10-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes Pineconn, 2.5.1 is the latest stable version of Zelda Classic. It's very stable and it has a lot of nice new features (such as 8-bit graphics allowing you to use an entire level palette on a single tile, multiwarping on a single screen, and the big ticket item--ZScript).

Pineconn
10-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I followed a fair amount of the 2.5 development betas a few years ago, but some of that stuff looked too confusing to me. :) But perhaps scripting won't be too bad to pick up now that I understand the basics of programming (college helped, I guess). I really like the dungeon carving -- this will save a lot of time building rooms and doing all of that damn floor trim!

CastChaos
10-14-2014, 06:19 AM
I heard the RCs had backwards compatibility issues, like that block puzzles made before 2.50.0 and on 2.50.0 couldn't be solved. Is this backwards compatibility thing fixed now?

Also, wouldn't it be better for the official download to say "2.50.1" instead of "2.50" to avoid confusion, especially when I tell somebody on what version a quest of mine should be played. 'cause the last 3 are for 2.50.0 and the next one will be for that, too. And then later the ones made on 2.50.1 will probably not work on 2.50.0 (for those who downloaded it from the main downloads before 2.50.1 came out and are not following news, only seeing that the latest download is still "2.50", not realizing the change).

Saffith
10-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I reverted the change that broke some block puzzles, so they ought to be okay. No one's specifically confirmed that to me, though.
The official downloads haven't been updated yet.

CastChaos
10-14-2014, 12:21 PM
That's good news, I assume.

So I mistakenly downloaded just another 2.50.0 and name its folder "ZC2.50.1". Fun. I guess I wait with the actual 2.50.1 until it gets on the main page.

My favourite change is about the guy disappearing when the special item is taken (it annoyed the heaven out of me in my latest 2.50.0 quests) and the screensaver being disabled by default. But there are many other changes (right click copies, better tile grabbing, better subscreen editing) that make me want to use 2.50.1 from now on.

TheDarkOne
10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Just wondering, is the latest version of ZC (the 2.5 version) supposed to be compatible with Windows 8? It works fine in windowed mode but if I try to go full-screen I get graphical problems. The same is true of both the actual game program and the ZQuest editor. I know there are many programs which worked fine with Windows 7 and don't work at all with Windows 8 (thanks a heap, Microsoft).

Saffith
10-15-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't think there's much we can do to improve it right now. I'm hoping it'll do better when we get 32-bit color working.

CastChaos
10-16-2014, 09:47 AM
I'd like to get a clear view on this: is the main download page not updated because nobody got around to do it or because 2.50.1 still might change? (As it changed a few times after initial release in this thread.)
Because I might start to make a new quest, but if 2.50.1 is final, it might be a bad idea to start on 2.50.0 but I want to download the newest one only when it's fully finalized and confirmed working. I don't want to keep downloading it again and again, nor I want to cancel a longer quest at halfpoint of development because some hidden bug. I know nowadays people mostly use ZQ only to up the HP of enemies and cram a lot of scripts in and call it a quest, so I can very well imagine that bugs in less used features don't get revealed that fast... And I wouldn't fancy to be the one revealing them in mid-development.

So I am pretty torn about all of this.

Saffith
10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
It's finished; the site just hasn't been updated yet. c-a-d's been busy lately, I assume.

Nicholas Steel
10-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Pretty cool to see both Pineconn and CastChaos getting another itch to make some more amazing stuff with Zquest. Admittedly I haven't really been keeping track of popular quest developers and their Zelda Classic activity since 2008 or 2009 or so so maybe you'se have always been hanging around all this time and I just never noticed >.> (I mostly hang around PureZC's General Entertainment section of the forum)

Is Nightmare the same guy that made those very early quests waaay back in the day?

CastChaos
10-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Nicholas Steel:
I don't know which is the last quest of mine that you still heard about, but if you click the link in my sig, you surely find a couple of quests you haven't heard before. And another 2.50.0 quest of mine is in final beta testing phase.
However, I won't jump into making a quest haphazardly anymore. I was working so much with "BBIV: GM" and had so many custom things in, yet it was played by so few people that I really need to reconsider my gain/effort ratio. Now I first want to make up a quest plan that promises good enough return value AND want to make sure that the version I'm using is right.
That is why I keep asking Saffith here, not just for fun.

See, I was kinda handicapped from BB onwards, since I could use the then latest stable version (2.10), but many others couldn't (and many others didn't want), so they playing on the 2.5 alphas caused many problems (and is still causing a bit when they play them on 2.50.0). When the final 2.50.0 was released, this problem vanished (THIS problem only), but what now? Will people mass use 2.50.1 and will this cause problems with 2.50.0 quests? Will a new Windows 9 (or 10) be released that won't stand 2.50, only some possible 2.92 betas that won't play well or at all the 2.50 quests? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time this time. This time.

Nicholas Steel
10-20-2014, 10:03 AM
I do see where you're coming from, Windows 10 is expected next year (Sometime 2015) so you could wait until that is released and see how well ZC works with it before starting work on a new quest (A technical preview has already been publicly released).

I might check out your more recent quests soon, via ZC v2.50.1 of course :D (Currently working my way through Fallout: New Vegas which is an amazing game unlike Fallout 3 which is only average)

Pineconn
10-21-2014, 03:14 AM
Hey Saffith, I'm getting ZQuest (2.50.1) to crash at least 80% of the time when I go to edit a custom item drop set. I'll try to do a little more testing tomorrow to see if I can get around this crash, since every once in a while I was able to do it successfully. Weird.

CastChaos
10-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Shouldn't 8 bit tile grabbing also recolour using the whole 8 bit main palette instead of just the currently selected cset of the current palette? Or I'm doing something wrong?
Pressing 8 indeed displays "8-bit" and if I press enter, the tile is indeed in 8 bit. But, I got myself an image from a game that uses many many colours and pressing "R" always recolours just for the cset I have selected, as well as grabbing mode switching back to 4 bit if I press "R" while it's 8 bit.
It's OK if it is supposed to be that way, I just thought it would be easier to grab title screens and such from now on. Because now after grabbing on the currently selected cset, I manually need to put a wider range of colours in. No problem, things are awesome enough even this way.

That enemy drop problem Pineconn mentioned isn't happening for me so far, but if it's there for everybody, I will see it soon, for I often edit the drop sets in quests.

Saffith
10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Hey Saffith, I'm getting ZQuest (2.50.1) to crash at least 80% of the time when I go to edit a custom item drop set. I'll try to do a little more testing tomorrow to see if I can get around this crash, since every once in a while I was able to do it successfully. Weird.
Well, shoot. I'm not seeing anything wrong there, though... You're certain it's 2.50.1? Etc. -> About should say it's build 28.

Shouldn't 8 bit tile grabbing also recolour using the whole 8 bit main palette instead of just the currently selected cset of the current palette? Or I'm doing something wrong?
Pressing 8 indeed displays "8-bit" and if I press enter, the tile is indeed in 8 bit. But, I got myself an image from a game that uses many many colours and pressing "R" always recolours just for the cset I have selected, as well as grabbing mode switching back to 4 bit if I press "R" while it's 8 bit.
That would have made more sense, now that you mention it, but it doesn't work that way. It's Shift+R for 8-bit recoloring.
Also, if you can, you should use another program to convert the image to an optimized 8-bit palette first. Otherwise, Allegro will convert it to a generic palette, and it won't look as good if you rip from that.

Pineconn
10-22-2014, 02:06 AM
I have build 24. Ha. Let me try to get the latest build.

I appreciate your followup. It's amazing that this program is still supported after more than a decade... I can't believe that it was seven years ago when I completed Link to the Heavens.

EDIT: Well, I don't know if I'm just an idiot, but now I have build 28 and I'm not getting that crash. I must have gotten my version folders mixed up and deleted the wrong one a few weeks ago. Sorry! I'll continue to play around with 2.50.1 to see if I get any weird issues, but so far it looks quite solid.

EDIT 2:

Pretty cool to see both Pineconn and CastChaos getting another itch to make some more amazing stuff with Zquest. Admittedly I haven't really been keeping track of popular quest developers and their Zelda Classic activity since 2008 or 2009 or so so maybe you'se have always been hanging around all this time and I just never noticed >.> (I mostly hang around PureZC's General Entertainment section of the forum)

Is Nightmare the same guy that made those very early quests waaay back in the day?

Yeah, I finished my crappy remake of my first quest in 2009 (or maybe early 2010) and fell out of the loop. I had just started college and simply had other interests. I think the additional complexities of 2.50 over 2.10 were a bit of a turn-off at the time, since I had spent a lot of energy maxing out the capabilities of 2.10 to do some cool things in Link to the Heavens. Currently I'm playing through Isle of Rebirth (as suggested by Russ -- cool to see that he's still around) and I've learned that I can put out a better effort than LttH. Obviously I'd have to learn how to use ZScript, but I'm not too worried.

Nothing is concrete. I might toy around with building a new quest just to stop after a few weeks... or maybe I'll create something great.

CastChaos
10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
This new version's ZQ gets stuck in the taskbar after closing, like in 2.50.0, too. Occassionally. Like, every 4th or 5th time. Allegro.log doesn't have anything else appended to the end than when it exits normally (still just a lot of "cleaning..." lines with "bitmaps... ok" at the end). I use Windows 7. It's not a big problem, just saying for reference.

TheDarkOne
10-23-2014, 11:44 AM
This new version's ZQ gets stuck in the taskbar after closing, like in 2.50.0, too. Occassionally. Like, every 4th or 5th time. Allegro.log doesn't have anything else appended to the end than when it exits normally (still just a lot of "cleaning..." lines with "bitmaps... ok" at the end). I use Windows 7. It's not a big problem, just saying for reference.

I've been getting that problem as well, but not every 4th or 5th time...more like every time. I'm using Windows 8 and it is nearly impossible to work with it if I can't do fullscreen but as I said before, fullscreen in Windows 8 causes graphical issues (blue flicker on the screen and nothing responds).

Nicholas Steel
10-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Obviously I'd have to learn how to use ZScript, but I'm not too worried.

Even without scripting the editor should (As far as I know) allow for many new things to be possible and allow for new interesting level designs to be possible (Or easier to make complex designs that used to be a pain in the ass to create in the past). I mean that without scripting you should still obviously be capable of make great stuff.

CastChaos
10-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Was the max allowed string length dramatically cut? In 2.50.0, I could write 4 full lines of text even with quite some string control codes used, but now when I try to write 4 lines even without string control codes (even more, with some "\25"s to save space), it halts a word before the end of the last line. I was using and am using the LA font, for it's small enough to have much text fit in the box, but not TOO small.

Also, yes, insanely custom quests can be made even without scripting. And with scripting included, the possibilities are beyond extreme. And for 2.50.1 (as well as 2.50.0) is still very new, millions of things aren't made yet. If the big ones of ZC (like, Pineconn) really get to it, then some serious wonder can be churned out. So far 2 of my 2.50.0 quests (Valami and BBIV) were attempts to really make use of things, but even much, much more can be done. Now I'm making a bigger attempt with a bit shorter quest on 2.50.1.

EDIT: Also, the template string isn't getting saved, when closing and opening ZQ, one needs to set the template again, if one wants to.

Saffith
10-24-2014, 08:11 PM
The string length hasn't changed. I don't know why you might be having problems with it.

Giac83
10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi, sorry for the question but i'm playng Zelda Classic after many years....I arrived at Level 9! I found the Silver arrows and the red ring....but how can i kill Ganon?? It' invisible.....help me, thank you.
If i'll can kill him the game finish?? O it goes on?? What happen?

Thank you very much

luckilla
10-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Giac83 Ganon is invisible, but if you try to attack him where you think he is then he might appear. Keep attacking him to make him appear. Once his color is brown shoot him with the silver arrow. The silver arrow will finish him off, and you will get the triforce of power. Once you have the triforce of power the door where Zelda is will open up. Once you walk to Zelda the game is over.

Watch the finishing off Ganon video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfi944XiCNg

Giac83
10-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Giac83 Ganon is invisible, but if you try to attack him where you think he is then he might appear. Keep attacking him to make him appear. Once his color is brown shoot him with the silver arrow. The silver arrow will finish him off, and you will get the triforce of power. Once you have the triforce of power the door where Zelda is will open up. Once you walk to Zelda the game is over.

Watch the finishing off Ganon video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfi944XiCNg

Thank you very much! So i have to attack him with the magic sword and then with the arrows!!!
Witch othe Zelda can i download for PC then??

luckilla
10-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Attack Ganon with 4 hits with the magic sword, then he will turn brown shoot him with the silver arrow. I hope you have build 2.5.1. I played 4 quests. The original first 2, then the third quest (ALPHA) and 4th quest (Ganon)

Joe_Cracker
11-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to go to full screen mode on my new Mac mini and it just crashes every single time. How do I go to full screen without that happening?

Gleeok
11-07-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm trying to go to full screen mode on my new Mac mini and it just crashes every single time. How do I go to full screen without that happening?

Can you please post the allegro.log file here (It is a copy/paste-able text file)?

I'm not familiar with the Mac builds but that should give an indication as to the problem.

Saffith
11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
My understanding is that most OS X doesn't allow applications to run fullscreen unless they match the desktop's color depth, meaning it's simply not going to work. There's a color depth setting in ag.cfg you can try, but I expect that'll cause worse problems.

Joe_Cracker
11-10-2014, 10:02 AM
That file doesn't exsist

Saffith
11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
It's in the application - right-click -> Show package contents. I think it's in the Resources directory.

TheDarkOne
11-11-2014, 01:48 PM
It might also be possible to set your desktop's color depth to match ZC, but that would affect all other programs as well, so you might not want to go that route.

So it's not a compatibility issue with Windows 8? I can still play it in windowed mode but if I want to try making my own quest I'm going to need a version of ZQuest that I can run fullscreen.

I am right now playing around with a custom quest that luckily wasn't passworded, but only for my own amusement. I've made some changes to the dialogue and changed some enemies (the blue Lynel at the top of the waterfall is now a red one). But just for fun; I'm not going to upload it and call it my own because that would just be wrong.

Pineconn
11-11-2014, 08:02 PM
2.50.1 - Is there a reason why my combo aliases are getting deleted? I'm using the 2.50 Pure tileset quest as my baseline. The original combo aliases disappeared randomly and I thought no biggie, but after setting up some new ones, these got deleted, too. FYI, things like favorite combos are fine.

Saffith
11-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Not sure what to say there. Nothing about their handling has changed since 2.50.0, so I don't expect it's a new issue. No idea what would cause it, though.

Joe_Cracker
11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Could it have some to do with Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite?

Pineconn
11-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Windows 8.1. Eh, not a big deal, if not mysterious. I'll try to see if I can replicate it.

Also, I cannot believe that the option for vsync in Zelda Classic is hidden away in a config file. ZC runs SOOOOO much more smoothly with it enabled. If I had a request, it would be to bring that option into the settings menu and to have it enabled by default. At least the former.

Gleeok
11-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Also, I cannot believe that the option for vsync in Zelda Classic is hidden away in a config file. ZC runs SOOOOO much more smoothly with it enabled. If I had a request, it would be to bring that option into the settings menu and to have it enabled by default. At least the former.

This is pretty much because I absolutely hate messing with the allegro GUI code. That's really the only reason, sad to say, that I only added it to the config file (...and then didn't really document it; yipes) and then hoped someone else would put it in a menu! :P

IIRC pressing '[' or ']' in ZC will toggle it on/off. ...uhhh.. *runs away laughing*

Pineconn
11-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Figured out what was causing my combo aliases to get deleted! It happens whenever I load a 2.10 quest in the tile grabber. Don't know if you want to fix this since it's a reproducible bug, but I simply saved the 2.10 quest as a 2.50 quest and it's all fine now.

Zim
02-12-2015, 04:21 PM
My new (refurbied) computer is bringing up a fresh download from here as malicious via Google Chrome, saying it might be hacked.
Also, the one I got from ZC won't open at all, and I'm using Windows 7 so I don't know what the problem is.

Tim
02-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Chrome returns some archives as false positives. What a dick.

Zim
02-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Chrome returns some archives as false positives. What a dick.

Is not just Chrome, IE was doing the same thing.

I got updates from Microsoft for Windows 7 and now it's working fine.
Thanks guys 'n gals.

Joe_Cracker
02-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Zelda Classic 2.50.1 on Mac still won't run at fullscreen

Samer
03-21-2015, 11:31 PM
I feel like there should be more than 15 save slots, gets kinda annoying when I keep on having to delete some. Not too much big of a deal but one quest crashes immediately, dungeon link.

Samer
03-21-2015, 11:33 PM
I feel like there should be more than 15 save slots, gets kinda annoying when I keep on having to delete some. Not too much big of a deal but one quest crashes immediately, dungeon link.

It still has the color issue, I changed the color settings to 256 colors but if the ZC gets switched out by something else the black borders become pink and all the colors get messed up looking glitchy.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought I was editing my previous post

SUCCESSOR
03-22-2015, 03:52 AM
I feel like there should be more than 15 save slots, gets kinda annoying when I keep on having to delete some.

Try ZCManager. It will manage save files for you. The actual host for it seem to be down but here's it from my OneDrive

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=76F75357645C7E7C!132&authkey=!AIW495T2WvsQTf0&ithint=file%2cexe

Samer
03-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks dude, well I'm not sure if I should use it because my antivirus blocked it. Symantec Endpoint Protection

SUCCESSOR
03-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks dude, well I'm not sure if I should use it because my antivirus blocked it. Symantec Endpoint Protection

That's weird. I use it and it is safe. It is made by LinkTheMaster and a great many in the ZC community use it with no bad behavior reported. Still, your choice.

Chris Miller
03-22-2015, 09:14 PM

There's your problem. :3
Joking aside, that could well be the issue. Avast and Malwarebytes don't have an issue with it.

Samer
03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Works like a charm, I actually like this more than the the ZC Launcher

ZoriaRPG
06-04-2015, 07:58 PM
It's detected as a potential threat because it runs on Java runtimes, IIRC. You might be able to get the source from LTM, and cross-compile a full binary.

luckilla
06-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Can someone tell me when the Latest Public Version: Zelda Classic 2.50.1 was available for download on www.zeldaclassic.com
I checked for a long time and it was still 2.5.0, but noticed the change on the site. If anyone knows I would like to know, thanks.

Chris Miller
06-05-2015, 10:17 AM
We've been having a few issues adding it in to the site, but you can download it here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxb1ktpawdmrckg/zc-2-50-1-win.zip).

luckilla
06-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I knew it was a long time before it showed 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 on the site, but now I understand why. I was just wondering when the change showed on the site showing 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 was made, because I have not checked this site in a while, and wanted to know, thanks.

Joe_Cracker
10-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Is there anyone who knows how to get ZC 2.50.1 on Mac to run on full screen and not crash all the time?

Anarchy_Balsac
10-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Did you try turning off auto-save. It'll crash a LOT less often on ANY machine if you do that,

Joe_Cracker
10-09-2015, 01:19 AM
There is no auto save to turn off! The application just quits instead of going into full screen as it should. Is there a work around if I can't get this to work?

Nicholas Steel
10-09-2015, 01:57 AM
Just use Windowed mod and set it to run at a high resolution?

Joe_Cracker
10-09-2015, 01:58 AM
Which one should I use?

Gleeok
10-09-2015, 02:07 AM
With 2.5 you can set the windowed resolution in the config file "ag.cfg": resx, resy.

Joe_Cracker
10-09-2015, 02:26 AM
This is the Mac version there is no ag.cfg

Joe_Cracker
10-09-2015, 03:49 AM
I found the ag.cfg file but you playas didn't make it easy. I expanded the resolution from 640x480 to 1000x700 and I wound up with this. http://s21.postimg.org/gzwd7iz13/image.jpg

The game in the center of a large black nothing

Nicholas Steel
10-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Huh, under Windows it scales the game up (You'll still ge black bars on the sides as the game is played in 4:3 aspect ratio). Try a more standardized resolution like 1280x960?

Gleeok
10-09-2015, 07:12 AM
It keeps the original aspect ratio, so try setting the window height to a multiple of 240. (I think I have 960x720 or something like that)

Joe_Cracker
10-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Huh, under Windows it scales the game up (You'll still ge black bars on the sides as the game is played in 4:3 aspect ratio). Try a more standardized resolution like 1280x960?

That worked

It keeps the original aspect ratio, so try setting the window height to a multiple of 240. (I think I have 960x720 or something like that)

That worked too

Now I'd like to do the same with zquest editor because clicking on full screen does nothing for it either. How do I go about doing that?