PDA

View Full Version : The line between "Joke Quest" and "Comedy Quest"

Goriya
09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
It has come to my attention that quests that are considered "Joke Quests" are typically frowned upon in the ZC community. However, the term "Joke Quest" seems to be very vague. A lot of people associate it with a quest that uses jokes, but by that logic, it shouldn't be frowned upon at all. That's why I've decided to come up with my own definitions of "Joke Quest" and "Comedy Quest"

Joke Quest: A quest that intentionally has quest design that is generally frowned upon, for the sake of comedy. (Example: DayDay)

Comedy Quest: A quest that, story wise or gameplay wise, is not very serious. Despite this, the design of the quest remains to be choices that are generally accepted by the ZC community. (Examples: Link's Quest for the Hookshot, Ibuprofen)

These are just basic drafts for these, and I feel the need to discuss what needs changing about these definitions.

SUCCESSOR
09-22-2014, 01:11 AM
I have only ever seen animosity towards joke quests at PureZC. There just seems to be animosity all around at that place for anyone that doesn't think ZC is serious business. I don't have any sort of prejudice against any kind of quest. Though, the amount of effort and care put into a quest will eventually determine how it is received. I just don't think it really matters to anyone what kind of quest it is save a certain vocal crowd.

Shane
09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
dayday was a true example of a good comedy quest which didnt try to force humor, and it worked out great. then you got try hard funny quests like adventure of marina and links bad trip which end up failing

anikom
09-28-2014, 12:20 AM
I have never really played a quest that had good jokes in the form of dialogue. Quests that try to do that just make me cringe. I think it's a lot harder to tell a joke through text. On the other hand, 'Acid Quests' like DayDay can be very entertaining. Our community is fairly small, so we should try our best to encourage members to improve their quest-making skills by offering lots of positive feedback and constructive criticism.