PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Genesis...

King Aquamentus
09-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I have a Sega Genesis now, as of Saturday. I have a few games for it which are mediocre at worst and ok at best (Sonic 2 is probably the best), and I'd go out and get more but I realize I have no idea what games do and do not suck on this console.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Don't worry if someone has already mentioned a title you think is good, I'll treat it as a second opinion.

Chris Miller
09-15-2014, 06:59 PM
You can't go wrong with Mega Turrican. It beats the pants off the SNES version. One of the best platformers I've played.

Alisia Dragoon
Strider
Vectorman 1 & 2
Castlevania Bloodlines
Earthworm Jim's better on the Genesis
Street Fighter II plays better
Phantasy Star series, if you like RPGs.

The Satellite
09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Street Fighter II plays better

Legions of Street Fighter II fans, myself included, disagree.

As for recommendations... well, I never played many Genesis games, but Gunstar Heroes is considered one of the better games on the system. There's also a little-known game I'm interested in playing, I saw Moosh stream it before, it's called "Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole." It seems like a combination of Zelda and Super Mario RPG, and it played pretty well from what I saw. Might be worth checking out.

Ventus
09-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Pretty much all of the above I'll throw a few more games out there.

Shining Force I and II both are quite amazing gems
The Lion King - its little weird I actually like this game fun little platformer!
X-Men and X-Men 2 Clone Wars - Damn fine games for the sega!

Thats all I think of for the time being but totally enjoy having a sega genesis!

CJC
09-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Alas, my Genesis library of cartridges has vanished into the ether. Still, there are a few I can remember being at least interesting.

Sword of Vermillion and Boogerman come to mind. Decap Attack was good too.

Ventus
09-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Oh yeah can not forget about "Rocket Knight adventures"! I damn awesome Konami classic and another to check out would be "Crusader of Centy" its pretty much a zelda type game thats pretty darn enjoyable!

mrz84
09-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Only game I ever had when I had a Genesis, was the first Sonic game. Everything else I've played via emulation or re-release on another system.

I can recommend the Phantasy Star series, Rocket Knight, Shining Force, Sonic 1 (I haven't played 2 or 3 yet. Should probably remedy that sometime) and Strider. Haven't played much other than that.

Tim
09-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Shaq-Fu and Zero Wing.

But actually this.

Goriya
09-16-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm going to pull in several obscure games on the system.

I'm shocked nobody has suggested "Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck" yet.

This is, at least in my opinion, the best game on the system, even more so than games like Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Phantasy Star IV, etc. The controls are tight and the music is beautifully made. The difficulty is also set up in a way to where every single death is your fault and your fault alone. *Sigh* Disney games used to be so great.

Also, Sega Genesis version of The Lion King is better than the SNES version, get at me.

Oh, and Aero the Acro-Bat 2. Sure, there's a SNES version of this too, but the gameplay is less clunky in the Genesis version.

Pretty sure Phantasy Star IV is a no brainer, if you enjoy RPGs, play this shit.

Something else: Every Streets of Rage game.

So as you can tell: I have a crapton of Genesis games, and suggesting a few of them to you, already.

Brasel
09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Seriously dude, are you stalking me?

http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?96695-Sega-Genesis-Sonic-the-Hedgehog

I just picked one up too. I beat Sonic 1 for the first time. It was okay. I also picked up Sub Terraria, which is supposed to be really good. It plays quite a bit like Solar Jetman. I've been doing some digging on this topic myself, as I'm not familiar with the system either. Beyond Oasis is supposed to be a pretty good Zelda-esque game. Dynamite Heady looks like a decent platformer.

I think from what I've seen so far, and what I've read, is that slowdown isn't nearly as big an issue on the Genesis as it is on the SNES. This means that while the graphics and sound may be better on the SNES, the gameplay may be better on the Genesis. Can anyone confirm this?

Goriya
09-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Dynamite Heady looks like a decent platformer.

I think from what I've seen so far, and what I've read, is that slowdown isn't nearly as big an issue on the Genesis as it is on the SNES. This means that while the graphics and sound may be better on the SNES, the gameplay may be better on the Genesis. Can anyone confirm this?

Dynamite Heady is pretty fun. I can't say I've ever beaten it though, the game gets really hard later. >.<

It honestly does seem like slowdown isn't as much as an issue. A good example is Aero the Acro-Bat 2. The SNES version, from what I've noticed, is a lot slower than the Genesis version.

Saffith
09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Ristar. Can't come up with much else at the moment.

Goriya
09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Some more suggestions I have thought of:
The Jungle Book (It has different level design from the SNES version.)
Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure
Family Fued
Wheel of Fortune
Earthworm Jim 2
Double Dragon 3 (It's basically a "So bad it's good" type of game.)
Olympic Gold
Echo: Tides of Time

Will come up with more when I get home from school.

TheDarkOne
10-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Okay, it's been ages since I've owned a Genesis, but here are the least sucky games I have found that haven't already been mentioned:
Gauntlet 4 (nostalgia factor)
Garfield: Caught In The Act (the only Garfield game I've ever seen)
Sonic & Knuckles w/Sonic 2 (because Sonic 2 is awesome when you play as Knuckles)