PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Hardware giving out... damaged Lens or damaged Fan?

CJC
06-30-2014, 05:15 PM
So I've encountered a problem with my PS2 (it's the miniature model and it's from 2006). Recently it has decided that it doesn't like to read discs consistently anymore. If I were to describe the behavior with a human sensation, I could call it exhaustion. Here's what happens:

1.) The system boots and runs properly
2.) After about 40 minutes, the system will stop reading from the disc. I believe the PS2 was designed with this in mind, loading data to the system's RAM to remove stress from the disc and lens.
3.) But... the system is erratic about reading from the disc after this point. This causes repeated and unpredictable "Disc not found" errors in whatever game I am playing.

I can't tell if it's a heating issue or a lens issue (or both). In the meantime, I've switched to an emulator to run the discs (though that meant starting many of the games over, it also meant playing them in HD, woot!)

Anyways, has anybody else encountered a problem like this with a Sony system? I'm fretting that my PS3 will run into the same issue a few years down the line and it's got me really distressed.