PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania games! (Super Castlevania IV Review)

Brasel
06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDVctnPDhU&feature=youtu.be

Super Castlevania IV kicks ass. It's a toss up between this and Symphony of the Night as my favorite Castlevania game. I kind of wish I was able to do the game justice with my review, but I'm really not that talented. :)

I beat the first Castlevania for the very first time last summer. I played the hell out of it until I finally finished it. The hardest part was probably the portion leading up until the Death fight.

I've been working at Castlevania III for the last few months. I know I can use a password on that game, but I really want to get it in one sitting. It's tough, and it's slowly working it's way toward my favorite Castlevania game.

Castlevania II kind of sucked. I'm sorry. I liked the music and the idea of the game, but it just wasn't polished enough. I wish Konami had spent a little more time on it.

I've played through two of the DS Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow was really cool and I regret selling it. Portrait of Ruin was just okay, but I liked it. I haven't actually played through any of the GBA ones. I tried Circle of the Moon, but it was so hard to see when I played it at the time.

I've tried a few of the 3D Castlevania games, but they just really weren't able to capture the magic of the early titles.

mrz84
06-24-2014, 05:58 PM
I could save this for the game confessions thread, but: I have never played Super Castlevania IV.

I love me some Castlevania. Its the game that represents Konami IMHO. Ya know, before they shoved MGS into everybody's face (I'm not saying they are bad games, but I think Castlevania has more history with Konami than MGS does, but I'm not gonna start a topic war about it here) and one of my favs is Castlevania 3. Ya, not SotN (that is my #2 though) despite how much I love the game. I also liked Castlevania 2, but the execution could have been better (clues that made sense, etc) but I loved the music and just mindlessly going around every now and then is fun (though I have beaten the game once via emulator and a walkthrough for the best ending).

Circle of the Moon, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow are among my favs as well and I actually liked the N64 game that had Carrie whats-her-name in it (though it could have used more polish) as well as Castlevania Legends (though after playing it, I found it to be too similar to Adventure 1. meh. I still liked the idea of a female Belmont using Vampire Killer. The canon can goto hell in a hand-basket via the creator's bum for all I care)

rock_nog
06-24-2014, 07:17 PM
I didn't get to play Super Castlevania IV until after college, when I got a Wii. I never had too many SNES games in the first place, and it all came crashing down when my poor system had an unfortunate encounter with a glass of juice (hooray for younger siblings!). My first Castlevania game was actually Castlevania III, and I friggin' loved it. So awesome... So insanely difficult. Then came Circle of the Moon (suffered the same problem - couldn't see a damn thing thanks to the original GBA's lack of backlighting), then Aria/Dawn of Sorrow and finally, Symphony of the Night and Super Castlevania IV. Funny thing about the Sequelitis video - I hardly ever used my weapons anyway, so I didn't even notice that difference from the originals to Super Castlevania IV. Especially in my youth, I was extremely stingy when it came to weapons that used ammo. I always used my fists in Batman (except on bosses), never used the rocket launcher or plasma gun in Doom, missiles were only for opening doors in Metroid, I and always conserved my hearts in Castlevania for fear of needing them later. So the fact that the subweapons weren't as crucial in Super Castlevania IV was something I didn't even really notice.

CJC
06-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Me: Hey, grab the windmill blade, it's better!
Brother: That's a cross.
Me: Really?

Castlevania IV represents my only real experience with the series. We did own another one for the original GameBoy, but I never played it (the Gameboy was my oldest brother's and he kept a very tight hold on it).

I don't know how I'd feel about a more modern Castlevania game (you know, one with RPG elements). I guess it'd be a lot like Metroid, actually (hence the genre Metroidvania).