PDA

View Full Version : Da Mega Mans!

SUCCESSOR
06-20-2014, 07:57 PM
All this talk of Mega Man(mostly from Anthony) got me wanting to play some! I know Anthony started a topic but that one is more about playing on emulators vs real hardware.

I am a Mega Man X lover. Nothing tops the original Mega Man X game in my mind. It's not that I don't like the classic series it's just that I really fell in love with Mega Man through the X series. I did play the classic games before X but I never owned them. I played Mega Man at other people's houses, usu my uncle's. This meant I never had the games to myself. There was always 2 or 3 of my cousins waiting to play next. Let's face it: Mega Man is hard! I usually grabbed for games that I could master in 20 or so minutes before someone started complaining they need a turn. I like hard games. The original Mortal Kombat is hard. If I didn't own that game I may never have appreciated the series. I spent literally hours trying to beat Goro. Spending so much time with it over and over again made gave it a sort of sentimental value. I never got this with Mega Man. So when I rented Mega Man 7 as a kid it felt cheap next to my Mega Man X cartridge sitting there waiting to be played.

I have finally set to correct this. I downloaded some ROMs for the SNES and was about to play MMX when I thought, I never did beat MM7! After several days of playing I did it(almost... I lost my save while still fighting Wily's second form... let's not talk about that). This got me thinking about playing the whole series in order. After killing MMX for the millionth time in a matter of hours I started Mega Man. This long boring story doesn't have a point I just want to talk about Mega Man.

Let's talk about Mega Man! (any game not just classic)

erm2003
06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
I love the Mega Man series. My obsession started with Mega Man 4. That's the game my friend had at his place and we would both play it and try to beat it. He eventually got Mega Man 2 and 3 and we were hooked. I eventually obtained 1, 5, and 6 so we had the entire series on NES between the two of us. I think the first one I finished was 5 because I found that one easier than some of the others but over time I have eventually beaten all 6 and I can still pick one up and beat it to this day... though the original may take me a little longer because I think it's the hardest of them all and sometimes the controls can be unforgiving. In general, as it is with any hard game, play it enough and you will learn the patters to get past the stages and the bosses.

I eventually played 7 on the SNES, though I never owned the cartridge - just rented. I really fell in love with the X series, mainly X-X3 which were the ones released on SNES. I owned the original X game but only played the other two through rentals. The original carts were hard to find for purchase after a while.

I have both the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the Mega Man X Collection for the Game Cube. Through this I have played 8 (not completed but I have made it to the final boss fight) and I also completed X4-X6, though I didn't go back and replay them as much because they were SO different than the original 3 X games. I prefer the original trilogy over X4-X6 any day.

I almost forgot to mention this. I do own Mega Man 9 and 10 as well on my Wii. I have played and beaten both of those. I love how they went old school with the difficulty on these two. Some stages are pushovers, but there are one or two really challenging stages in each game and I really appreciate what they did to make these two games worthy of being part of the original series... especially 9 which I think is way harder than 10.

Aliem
06-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Mega Man 4 was the first Mega Man game I'd ever played. The only other games I had at the time were Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros 3, and I think Tetris, so Mega Man 4 was pretty much unlike every other game I'd played. Mega Man and Bass is pretty damn spectacular, too. After Mega Man 8, I'm not sure why the title was released for the SNES, but it is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know that I've ever finished the game with Bass. I should fix that.
As black-sheep as they may be, though, I absoutely loved the Legends series. I really think that concept deserves to be revisited again, either with the ressurection of Legends 3, or something entirely new. A Mega Man adventure game has so much potential, and it's only barely been explored!

SUCCESSOR
06-20-2014, 09:23 PM
First impressions of Mega Man 1:

ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!

... though the original may take me a little longer because I think it's the hardest of them all and sometimes the controls can be unforgiving...

You're god damn right they can!!!

Those platforms that dump you require some pretty precise platforming and those grinning helicopter things are trolls. They don't coming down at you in a little to the side like a sensible enemy. They come down right on top of you! Still I am hooked.

mrz84
06-20-2014, 10:40 PM
I've been playing the classic MM (1-6) on the 3DS VC lately. I finished 1 and am getting ready to start on 2.

I have to say that the only classic MM game I've owned was 5 (got it for my b-day) while the others I rented repeatedly/played via emulation over the years (beating them all with a keyboard since I lacked a pc compatible controller was a challenge in itself) and I have to say that I liked 3-5 the most of the original NES 6. I have played 7 but never completed it. Not sure why. Never played 8 (didn't have a ps1 until the ps2 came out) but did play Rockman & Forte/ Mega Man and Bass. I loved that game. Played it via emulation with a translation patch and just loved it (I can't get enough of Burner Man's stage music for some reason).

Of the X games, I've played them all except X4 and X8. I've finished X1-3 and X5-7. I liked the first 3 the most and X5-6 a bit too (but mostly for their boss music for Dynamo and High Max's battles)

I've played all the EXE games, but only finished the first 2 games and Team Colonel (EXE5), minus the post-game content on TC. Also played Battlechip Challenge (emu again) and actually liked the multiple Net Battler stories (I played as Ring's mostly) but kinda wish they expanded on the exclusive navis (Turboman and Ring) in the main games

I tried to play game that came after EXE (can't remember the title except for the anime, Ryusei so I'll call it that) and couldn't get into the battle system (mostly cause my emulator sucked and didn't display everything) and it felt off compared to EXE's and haven't played it since.
I've played MM Zero 1-4, having only completed the first 3. I can't get over how the villain in 3-4 reminds me of Wily (Wile...a descendent maybe?as he looks like Wily's head in a jar to me. Also, I like Omega's giant sword. It just looks awesome.

I've tried to play ZX and its ilk, but haven't ever really made any progress (cause emulation doesn't like me as far as DS games are concerned)

And to backtrack, I've played both versions of Legends 1 and 100% them both. I haven't played any others in the Legends series, but would like to some day in case L3 ever gets a release *gives Capcom the evil eye*

rock_nog
06-20-2014, 11:36 PM
I didn't really have much experience with Mega Man until I was an adult. Never owned any of the games as a kid, but I did have a friend who had Mega Man 2. As a kid, the thing I remember most was finding it strange that Mega Man couldn't crouch. I was so used to ducking due to games like Mario and Castlevania that it was second nature to me, but Mega Man always threw me off. Even in my adult years, I haven't really played too many of them, though. I've mostly played 1, 2, 3, and X. 2 is by far my absolute favorite of the series, even if I still haven't beaten it (that damn dragon, I swear! Actually, once or twice, I've beaten the dragon, but not made it much farther than that, so I always see the dragon as the obstacle I can't overcome). Come to think of it, I don't even know why the dragon gives me such trouble - maybe it's because I panic when I get to it. Anyway, a big reason I haven't played too many of the other games is because I haven't beaten 2 yet. I keep getting hung up on that - I can't really focus on another game until I beat that one, because I've come so close. X, incidentally, is one of the more interesting takes on the series - adding all those fancy moves and controls and whatnot. It almost kinda feels like cheating to play X, because you can do so much more. Hasn't helped me beat it, but I do like the added options like the wall-climbing and whatnot.

Gleeok
06-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Mega Man III was the first one I played seriously. This was way back when, and I remember it being a rental so I had to beat it before it was due. I must of played that 8-10 hours a day. I also borrowed I, II, and IV about that same time. Man I got pretty good at the first one actually--that one was so brutal you had to be good at it in order to beat it thoroughly. Fun times.

DarkFlameWolf
06-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Mega Man 3 on the NES was my first game I ever played of the series, followed shortly after by 4 and 5. I then moved onwards to X1-X3 which remain my favorite to this day. It was only through emulation that I was able to find and beat 1, 2, 6 and 7. It was through the anniversary collection that I played 8. I played MM&Bass on a real Gameboy Advance. I also downloaded MM9 and 10 and play X4-X6 on the X collection for Gamecube. Lastly, I played MMZ1-4 on a Advance and loved all of them. And somewhere in there I've played Network Transmission and Command Missions, both good games in their own rights.
As far as my love for MM goes, I am almost done with a Megaman fan game called: Megaman: Revenge of the Fallen. JMan2050 is working with me on this since 2009. We are almost done and we should be expecting a release July or at latest August.

erm2003
06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
As far as my love for MM goes, I am almost done with a Megaman fan game called: Megaman: Revenge of the Fallen. JMan2050 is working with me on this since 2009. We are almost done and we should be expecting a release July or at latest August.

This is awesome! I look forward to the release! That is definitely something I want to try!

rock_nog
06-22-2014, 09:21 AM
This was way back when, and I remember it being a rental so I had to beat it before it was due.
Oh wow, this statement for some reason just sent me on a massive flashback to the days of renting NES games. Two things that immediately came to mind were (a) renting a game multiple times and hoping against hope that your save game from the last time you rented it was still on there, and (b) renting a game where someone else had already made it super far, and so you got to play their saved game as sort of a cheat ("Oh sweet, this dude got the magic sword AND the blue ring for me!")

Brasel
06-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't know why some of you have said that Mega Man & Bass was a good game. It's not. The level design and enemy placement are terrible, and it's hard for all the wrong reasons. Maybe I need to play it on SNES rather than GBA. That one and Mega Man 8 just don't feel like real Mega Man games to me. It's not that the gameplay made any changes, they just feel kind of lazy, like the developers were working on other things and just released these two as an afterthought. Keiji Inafune put Mega Man and Bass (Rockman and Forte) on the SNES because he wanted players who didn't have a Playstation to be able to play a new Mega Man game. Enough ripping on that game. Opinions are like buttholes, right?

My favorite game on the NES is Mega Man 2. I'm pretty sure my first Mega Man game was the original Mega Man, but Mega Man 2 blew me away. I played that game a ton as a kid and I'll always have fond memories of sharing strategies with neighbor kids. We all kind of raced to finish the game. I don't remember who won, but it probably wasn't me. Mega Man 3 is freaking awesome as well. The introduction of the sliding mechanic was genius. I think I remember being just as excited for Mega Man 3 as I was for Super Mario Bros 3.

I didn't even know that Mega Man 4 had been released when I saw it at the rental store. I beat this as a kind when renting it. I didn't own it until I was a teenager. I'm pretty sure I ended up selling it pre-army days. It's a good game, but I can't stand the charging noise in this game. It seems to loud, and it drowns out some fantastic music. The game design really relied on the charge shot as well, so you pretty much always had to have a blast ready to go.

Mega Man 5 didn't really add anything new to the series, but it's still a solid game. I had the fact that you lose your charge shot when you get hit. I guess it was an attempt at balancing the difficulty out. I owned this one when it came out, but again, I sold it during my pre-army days. That sucks too, because this game is the most expensive Mega Man game on the NES right now. I have fond memories of this game, but it definitely wasn't my favorite. It just didn't add anything new.

I owned Mega Man 6 as well, but I no longer have it. I never liked this one nearly as much as the rest of the games in the series. I still don't. It's not a bad game, it's just not Mega Man 2 or 3. The Rush adapters were pretty cool, though. I think my indifference toward this was was because I already had Mega Man X when I got 6, and Mega Man X kicks a lot ass.

Mega Man 7 was a game that I was always trying to buy, but it was expensive even back when it came out. It's over $120 right now, and when it came out, I'm pretty sure it was $70. I never had the cash to buy it. It's a good game, but definitely not my favorite. The original Mega Man games just didn't feel the same after the NES days. Fun fact: Mega Man's charge shot always did an equivalent to 3 normal shots of damage up until Mega Man 7. In Mega Man 7, it only does 2 normal shots of damage. During the levels, it's just easier and faster to use normal shots.

I owned Mega Man X and X2, but never X3. Mega Man X is a freaking amazing game. I still love the armor mechanic and the dash jump. The charge shot sound in this game isn't nearly as intrusive as it was in the NES Mega Man games. Mega Man X2 was really cool. At times, I kind of like it more than Mega Man X. It seems a bit more polished, I think, and it's just a bit more challenging. Mega Man X3 came out and I had the same problem with it that I did with 7. It was just too expensive for me to buy at the time. I really liked the mega armor suit things in this game, but the rest of it just isn't as good as Mega Man X or Mega Man X2.

Mega Man X4 was one of the first games I owned on the Playstation along with Mega Man 8 and Final Fantasy VII. X4 was cool at the time, but I went back and played it again recently, and it just doesn't feel the same. It's not a bad game, I just don't have the same memories of this one as I do for other games in the series.

I have the Mega Man X collection for my PS2, but surprisingly, I had never played X5 or X6 until a few days ago. I decided to finally give them a shot...and I wasn't impressed. I'll go back and finish them someday, but not today.

I really want to try out Mega Man X7 and X8. I head X7 isn't great, but X8 is a lot better. I think I rented Command Mission once, but it wasn't great.

I liked the first Mega Man Zero game, and I think I still own it. I beat it, but I never really had any interest in playing any of the others in the series.

Mega Man 9 was awesome. I play through it every once in awhile. Mega Man 10 was good, but not as good as 9.

Oh wow. Sorry guys, I really like Mega Man games. Has anyone played Street Fighter X Mega Man? It was okay. I haven't beaten it yet.

erm2003
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Anthony I agree with you on your take regarding Mega Man and Bass and Mega Man 8. I thought it felt cheap in various areas, especially the stages that auto-scrolled and you just had to memorize the timing or you would die instantly. I hated those. I also disliked the fact that the first 8 stages weren't all accessible from the beginning. I know the same thing was done in Mega Man 7, but that just felt like more of a complete game when compared to the other two. Maybe it was just because I spent more time playing it and never really connected to the other two. Sometimes though I think MM and B and MM 8 were hard just for the sake of being hard and that took some of the fun out of it for me.

DarkFlameWolf
06-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Mega Man Unlimited and Mega Man Rock Force are some good fan games made last year that are worth a shot. Especially to any avid Mega Man fan!

Gleeok
06-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Oh wow, this statement for some reason just sent me on a massive flashback to the days of renting NES games. Two things that immediately came to mind were (a) renting a game multiple times and hoping against hope that your save game from the last time you rented it was still on there, and (b) renting a game where someone else had already made it super far, and so you got to play their saved game as sort of a cheat ("Oh sweet, this dude got the magic sword AND the blue ring for me!")

Actually, now that I think more about it... I remember I had a school notebook with diagrams of Mega Man pass-codes (and codes from other games for that matter) scattered around in it. LOL, I just remembered that.

Yep. Those were the good old days of NES carts, video stores that rented out VHS tapes, and a time when people would think a blue-ray is a type of aquatic fish. A time where if you wanted to play a game you had to get off your lazy ass, head down to the recycling center and turn in some cans for CRV so you could afford to rent it for the weekend. Imagine that, children forced to go outside every now and again.

SUCCESSOR
06-23-2014, 03:13 AM
With a little help from Save States I beat Mega Man *wipes forehead*. I really liked that game. It was definitely very unforgiving. Without save states it may have taken me twice as long. From this point on I am playing on Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection so no more save states! It also means no more emulation woes. Though, I think they are still emulated but they are done very well from what I can see playing X2. X2 and 3 I have played before(X3 only on emulators) but it has been a while. Wire Sponge took me a good amount of tries to beat but I was also getting used to the GC controls. Starting up Mega Man 2 now.

I can't remember which mega man games I played as a kid. This was my first time ever playing Mega Man 1. I think I have played MM2 before but I am not sure.

Anthony , Wasn't Rockman and Forte made by different people? I played some of that on emulators back in the day. I heard about StreetFighter X Mega Man. I haven't tried that

This is some news! I can't wait to play it. How are you guys developing it?

AS far as other Mega Man games I don't think I have played any. I messed with the Battle Network games awhile back (I think it was a semi translated Jap Rom because it was titled Mega Man EXE). I never played much of it.
Gleeok , They used to say kids would never get out of the house in the 90s because of Video Games, before the internet took over! I remember writing down codes in school notebooks, graphs of the match game in Mario 3, and other stuff like that. Good times. Codes were nice because you could take them to your friends house and start playing there without bringing your game.

SUCCESSOR
06-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Argh, the Mega Man Anniversary Collection's button configuration is weird. But I did get MM9 and 10 on my Wii so I can play through the whole series. I may Play Rockman 7 Famicom instead of Mega Man 7 since I already beat that one. I can only play up to MMX6 though unless I can emulate MMX7. Wish I could play X8 though since I hear it was actually pretty damn good.

Anyway I am going in pairs. Mega Man and Mega Man X are done. On Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X2. Actually beat Quick Man's Stage without using Flash Man's Weapon.

erm2003
06-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Argh, the Mega Man Anniversary Collection's button configuration is weird.

This. I couldn't believe they didn't have the thought to either keep the buttons in the same order or at least give players an option to change the button configuration. It is the single most disappointing thing in the Anniversary Collection, though truthfully you will get used to it after a while. I was able to finish all but 8 on that disc. At least the X collection didn't make that mistake.

Brasel
06-23-2014, 07:15 PM
SUCCESSOR I could probably look it up if another team handled Rockman and Forte, but I'm too lazy. I know that Keiji Inafune was involved though. Street Fighter X Mega Man is worth checking out, but if you can't find the download, I'd just watch a couple minutes of a longplay instead. It isn't mind blowing or anything, just kind of neat.

There is a game store near me that still has Mega Man X8 sealed, brand new copies. They're only about $30, so I've thought about picking one up. They have a bunch of cool stuff that people just never bought, like Final Fantasy Anthology, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy IX.

Zim
06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I played and beat almost every Megaman game I have heard of, with exceptions of Battle Networks and Command Mission.
Got so good at the X series that I could beat the whole game without even using any of the sequencing battles to always have the weaknesses utilized to win, could do it almost just as easily with just the X buster.

I am only replying to this thread to point out that I agree completely with the analysis of Megaman and Bass.. Something about that game was very different than the rest of the series. As soon as I picked it up, and I don't know if this is true or not because I never did a direct comparison, so my brain might have just been on hyperdrive that day, but Forte was moving slow. So slow, in fact, that the first time I picked up the game to play it to put another title under my belt of winning another Megaman game that I immediately quit before I even got past the first level because the guy was moving so slow.

The Satellite
06-23-2014, 07:45 PM
I adore me some classic Megaman, I've played the entire classic series and X and X2. The X games are alright, but they don't hold the same charm for me as the classic series, but someday I'll get around to finishing the X series. But the classic series, that's some good stuff. Well the 8-bit ones. 7 and 8 are... alright. I actually kind of enjoyed Megaman & Bass but I do remember it being quite difficult and I only played it once. But the 8-bit stuff is usually gold. 3 and 4 are easily my favorites, while I find 2 and 5 to be the worst. 2 just has too many cheap segments and questionable design choices, as well as like... no weapon balancing whatsoever. Its only redeeming factor is its pretty glorious soundtrack, though I find the Wily Stage theme to be a bit overrated. As for 5... I just remember pure hatred. I'm going to play it again to see if my feelings still apply, but I didn't like it. It felt bland and the music was mostly not very good and I hated Wave Man's stage. Admittedly it kind of had my favorite moment in the series, the confrontation between the real and fake Protomen.

But yeah, the rest are solid. I feel like 4 is maybe the best designed of the NES games, but I love 3 a little more. 4's soundtrack is also somewhat lackluster though it has its good tunes, while 3's soundtrack is absolutely godly. 4 did have a good plot twist though. ... that was subsequently recycled in the next two games and by 6 the double-fortress gimmick just got stale, even if 6 was a good game as well. Ah well. Still a fun series.

DarkFlameWolf
06-23-2014, 07:53 PM
To answer an earlier post, we are making it in Game Maker 8.01 and the core gameplay is basically complete. All we're doing is adding the finishing touches, fixing a crapton of bugs and inserting a few extra features we've been wanting to include for years now.
You can find more information plus screenshots and videos here:
rpgmaker'dot'net/games/2406/
Enjoy.

SUCCESSOR
07-07-2014, 04:40 AM
I see everyone showing their endless love for Mega Man 2 and as I am playing it it is royally pissing me off. I like hard games, but I don't like games that punish you. Mega Man 2, especially at the Wily stages, punishes you. I don't really mind the split second reaction level design all that much even though a lot of them were dick moves. I do mind cheap deaths. When I say cheap death I mean where unless you know exactly what is coming you will almost certainly die. There were quite a few more of those than I was expecting. What has gotten to me most is the grinding for weapon energy. I had twenty something lives by the time i got to the Wily stages because I had to grind so much for weapon energy. It peaked at Wily 4(i think) where you have to fight the wall shooter. These things are awful. Not only do you have to use the unweildy items 1 and 3 but they are only weak to the most limited weapon in the game. That means if you fail to defeat it in one go(assuredly, you will!) you have to grind for weapon energy in the level where they have made it purposely, aggravatingly hard to grind.

I also dislike the fact that passwords do not save your lives or Wily Stages. I have resigned to leaving my Wii on 24/7 to avoid it. I think this game would be 100x better if weapon energy refilled when you die. Drop rates can make grinding for what you need a potentially hour long task and "1-ups" seem to drop more often than large weapon energy. It just seem like a cheap attempt at difficulty(as if the game needs it). Also whoever told me to start off with Air Man, fuck you! and fuck Air Man.

Brasel
07-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah, that wall shooter boss is a pain in the ass if you don't know exactly what order to kill him in. If you haven't already figured out, the best place to grind in that stage is one of those areas with the moving platforms and the spinny eye guys. Stand at a safe spot and turn on Leaf Shield. It'll destroy all the enemies that float towards you and you can pick up everything they leave behind. That's what I used to do.

King Aquamentus
07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
The oddly named Megaman IV, for Gameboy. It's called Rockman World IV in Japan, which makes more sense in telling it apart from the NES Megaman 4. Like the other Rockman World games, this one takes four robots from its NES counterpart and then four more robots from the next game, all while generally using the gameplay engine of that latter game. So, Megaman: Doctor Wily's Revenge is really more like Megaman 2, Megaman II is more like Megaman 3, etc.

Story is, Ring Man, Toad Man, Pharaoh Man, and Bright Man are all attacking the city during a robot convention and Megaman sets out to stop them. While the game does not start off particularly interesting plotwise, the second half of the game takes place almost entirely inside of Wily's massive tank (which is about the size of a city itself). Here you face off against Napalm Man, Charge Man, Crystal Man, Stone Man, and finally the new Megaman killer, Ballade. What's interesting about this is that the latter robot masters all have their stages modified so they are clearly inside of the tank somewhere (Napalm Man's stage is just completely different aside from jumping tigers and big spike crusher things.) It's also one of the few Megaman games that ends on a particularly bittersweet note, as Ballade makes the ultimate sacrifice for you.

The game is available on virtual console now, and well worth the money.

SUCCESSOR
07-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that wall shooter boss is a pain in the ass if you don't know exactly what order to kill him in. If you haven't already figured out, the best place to grind in that stage is one of those areas with the moving platforms and the spinny eye guys. Stand at a safe spot and turn on Leaf Shield. It'll destroy all the enemies that float towards you and you can pick up everything they leave behind. That's what I used to do.

Knowing the order isn't that helpful. Using those items is still a pain and those damn things get off 2 practically undodgeable shots off before you can take out 2 of them. Which is like half your life(which those sniper joes made sure to leave you with as little as possible). I almost got them with the help of a E Tank but ran out of item energy because I kept messing up the jump to the highest one. I am relunctant to use another one because I know the Wily machines deal a heavy chunk of damage.

I did do that to grind. The problem is you have to stand in exactly the right spot or else the drop items fall or are unreachable and you have to wait for large weapon energy or else you quickly run out of Leaf Shield. Unfortunately the large weapon energy seems to be the rarest drop in the game. I keep getting plenty of 1-ups though.

Gleeok
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Also whoever told me to start off with Air Man, fuck you! and fuck Air Man.

LOL. I agree there. Metal Blade->Leaf Shield-> then you can rape Air Man in his propeller-hole with your wood weapons. :) I can see why that advice would be helpful for repeats: You could quickly get the Crash Bombs for the remaining 6 levels. That would be pretty useful actually.

Unless for some weird reason I'm planning on trying to do a speed run (Never bothered to do a MM game before though--too much memorizing) of Mega Man, I would, as a general rule, go after the most overall bad-ass and useful weapons first: Probably Metal Man or Quick Man--those weapons use up very little energy and can make tough spots in levels much easier and it's hard to run uot of energy using them.

Also are you talking about those shooter things that open up from the wall? IIRC Bubble Shot and Metal Blade is very effective and doesn't require much energy to win.

[EDIT] I may have to play through this game now for old-times-sake. :P

SUCCESSOR
07-07-2014, 11:09 PM
LOL. I agree there. Metal Blade->Leaf Shield-> then you can rape Air Man in his propeller-hole with your wood weapons. :) I can see why that advice would be helpful for repeats: You could quickly get the Crash Bombs for the remaining 6 levels. That would be pretty useful actually.

Unless for some weird reason I'm planning on trying to do a speed run (Never bothered to do a MM game before though--too much memorizing) of Mega Man, I would, as a general rule, go after the most overall bad-ass and useful weapons first: Probably Metal Man or Quick Man--those weapons use up very little energy and can make tough spots in levels much easier and it's hard to run uot of energy using them.

Also are you talking about those shooter things that open up from the wall? IIRC Bubble Shot and Metal Blade is very effective and doesn't require much energy to win.

[EDIT] I may have to play through this game now for old-times-sake. :P

I used Heat Man's weapon against Wood Man. It was a pain in the ass to use but it takes him out with 2 hits. Metal Blade does pretty good on just about anything but Wood Man's Leaf Shield was pissing me off because it is pretty tough to time the just and it only takes like 4 hits to take you out. Without Leaf Shield I doubt I would have been able to take out Air Man. I am no good at dodging his Tornadoes and too often he throws some that can't be dodged or the opening is just way to small for my skills.

Not not the boss where the squares come out of the wall and join together then attack. That thing was tough but only because there is no indication of where they are coming from. So unless you learned the pattern already or know that they never come from the middle two blocks then you pretty much die a few times to learn how it works.

I am talking about these blue orb things that stay on the wall and all shoot at once every second or so directly at you. They can only be damaged by crash bombs and are behind walls that need crash bombs to get through. You have 7 shots and you need every one the first try. If you fail the walls you blew up will stay gone until you game over or continue. My problem now is I can't seem to get there with enough health and those damn Items 1 and 3 are just difficult to use in the crowded space they provide you.

King Aquamentus
07-07-2014, 11:47 PM
You mean the Boobeam trap? Something about it seems too perfect to be an oversight. Its like they deliberately wanted you to solve a puzzle. It can be done in one shot, you just have to know exactly how to use the Crash Bombs.

SUCCESSOR
07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
You mean the Boobeam trap? Something about it seems too perfect to be an oversight. Its like they deliberately wanted you to solve a puzzle. It can be done in one shot, you just have to know exactly how to use the Crash Bombs.

It's not hard to figure out if you know how many shots you get. I know it can be done in one turn but it doesn't make it simple. The biggest problem I have is getting there without being half dead and using the damn items.

The Satellite
07-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Someone said to start with Air Man? No way, start with Metal Man. Easiest robot master and also gives you the most overpowered weapon. But you're definitely outlying some of the big problems I had with Megaman 2, and why I can't understand how it's loved more than any other game in the series. I actually wrote up a big rant about it (http://www.purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57656&page=4#entry909599), outlining nearly all (if not all) of my reasons for disliking it.

If you're disliking Megaman 2 this much, you'll probably be like me and enjoy 3 a lot for the sheer reason that it's not 2. 3 isn't perfect and it has some areas where an eyebrow or two can be raised, but it's definitely a lot more well-done (though if you ask me, 4 is the most polished of the NES series, even if it's somewhat lackluster in the music department). Top Man or Magnet Man are my recommendation for starting with, I'd say Top Man is the easiest to buster-only, but Magnet Man is pretty simple too.

King Aquamentus
07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
So get this

I played the game on Difficult mode and went straight to Air Man. I let him take a few pot shots at me (about two or three) before I started fighting back. I still kicked his ass. *shrug*

Nearly every boss in Wily's Fortress has some potential to kick your ass. Mecha Dragon's flames aren't particularly damaging, but sometimes you can glitch and end up in knockback far longer than you should, which pushes you right off the platform.

Picopico machine isn't something most people regard as difficult, but it is still pretty easy to die from when you don't know where the parts are going to come flying in from.

I think Guts Dozer and Wily Machine are probably the easiest of them all.

rock_nog
07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Speaking of da Mega Mans, I've been of course browsing ebay on and off looking for NES games to pick up for my new system, and one thing I've noticed, all da Mega Mans seem relatively expensive, usually going for at least $20 or so, give or take. Das kind of a bummer... Would love to add some Mega Mans to my NES library, but I guess for now I'll have to rely on emulation (*ahem* LEGAL emulation, via Virtual Console... yeah... right, that's what I meant).

Brasel
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
So I guess I've just been playing Mega Man 2 for so long that I don't notice some of these flaws anymore. When you learn how a game plays to the point of memorization, it's hard to see where it would be difficult for others. I always fight Air Man first, and I've never had a problem beating him. I even take quite a few hits. This actually goes for all the bosses, the wall shooters included. I usually take a few hits from them, but I don't really have a problem killing them. Nostalgia colored glasses, I guess.

King Aquamentus
07-08-2014, 06:17 PM
It is sort of like Castlevania in a sense. Konami never bothered to fix much about the series, and people generally learned to accept it. It's the likes of AVGN and others that remind us why it is frustrating.

Gleeok
07-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Alright, I just beat MM2 (On difficult setting of course) on a single continue. First time I played it since I was about 13 or so! Yay!

Someone said to start with Air Man? No way, start with Metal Man. Easiest robot master and also gives you the most overpowered weapon. But you're definitely outlying some of the big problems I had with Megaman 2, and why I can't understand how it's loved more than any other game in the series. I actually wrote up a big rant about it (http://www.purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57656&page=4#entry909599), outlining nearly all (if not all) of my reasons for disliking it.

I just read your review and I have to disagree with all most much of it.

Overly annoying parts:
-Heat Mans level. Zoinks Scoob, like go get the rush jet or something.

Levels that catch you off guard and/or require you to memorize:
-Quick Mans level. Know where your emergency exits are and which way they go.

Weak Design:
-Crash Bomb Wily Boss. I beat it on my first attempt with an E-tank so I can't say I had any problems, but dying there would certainly be a pain without regenerating energy pickups. Prior to fighting it for the first time there are plenty of energy drops at least. I had every weapon about full when I got there without any grinding.

Regarding cheap enemy placement I have to disagree. Not only is this one of the easiest Mega Man games, but it needs MORE deviously places enemies, not less. Everything enemy-wise is easily manageable in this game. I don't know what you mean by impossible to avoid corridor enemies. Are we playing the same game?!

Also for the dragon boss in Wiley-1 if you stand on the top platform and get hit you will land on the middle platform from the knock-back. (Don't stand on the back edge of it or try to jump backward!!!!!!!!!)

All in all it was an awesome game back in the day but might not of aged as well as the newer ones. If you've played those before Mega Man 1 and 2 then you probably missed out on everything that made them great at the time, and aren't going to get the nostalgia-value factor either.

[EDIT] Looks like Mega Man 4 is next up for me. (I've ummm.. never actually played it yet...yeah.)

King Aquamentus
07-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Megaman 2 enemy index.
Anko - Angler Fish from Bubbleman's stage
Batton - Bats from woodman's stage. when at rest, they are invulnerable black spheres.
Big Fish - appropriately named enemy from Wily 3 that comes up and tries to eat you.
Blocky - big stack of drums or something. Shoot the one with eyes and it falls apart. Will repair itself one time on Difficult mode.
Claw - Bubbleman crab
Flyboy - Helicopter robots with pullcords and suction cups. Appear in Crashman, Heatman, and Wily 2.
Goblin - Giant head platforms in Airman's stage. produces petit Goblins.
Kaminari Goro - robots on clouds that throw lightning bolts. Name translates roughly to "Lightning Lord"
Kerog - Bubbleman frogs. Produces petit Kerog
Matasaburo - Chubby Airman-like guy seen only in Airman's stage who tries to blow you away with a fan in his stomach.
Monking - Primate that appears in the treetops of Woodman's stage. Best dispatched with Metal Blades.
Metool - Do I have to?

Cook - robotic chickens seen in Woodman's stage
Telly - robotic oreos with eyes seen in Crashman's stage, Heatman's stage, and Wily 4
Pipi - bird that drops an egg filled with smaller birds
Changkey - a fireball with a dark mask and eyes. only appears in Quickman's stage.
Changkey maker - a walking torch that throws changkeys at you in the darkness of Quickman's stage. Illuminates the area in orangish light.
M-445 - robotic metroids seen in Bubbleman's stage
Mole - drills seen in Metalman's stage
Robbit - mechanical rabbit
Pierobot - Jester like enemy that rides around on gears. Seen in Metalman's stage.
Sniper Joe - Come on you don't know what a Sniper Joe is?
Press - falling spike trap in Metalman's stage
Scworm - device which produces squirming pipes. Too low to hit with the standard buster.
Shotman - enemy with a cannon on one side and a crank on the other to adjust the cannon's angle of fire. Appears in Crashman and Flashman's stages. May also be in Heatman's stage.
Armor Joe - Sniper Joes in those big walkers.
Shrink - Shrimp
Springer - annoying asshole enemy invulnerable to buster shots and too low to hit normally anyways. speeds at you when you're on the same surface as it, and goes all BOOOIIIOOOIINNGG when it hits you, popping up and going crazy.
Tanishi - Hermit crabs that lose their shells and move faster in Difficult Mode.
Friender - giant fire-breathing dog in Woodman's stage

DWN #009 - Metalman. Despite the serial number, Metalman is Wily's first original robot. All robots previous to this are filed under DLN. Overly incompetent despite his intimidating appearance, he can easily be dispatched with his own weapon but since you need to kill him before obtaining it, the similar Quick Boomerang works just as well.

DWN #010 - Airman. You can't defeat him. Except you totally can, he's not that hard. Seriously. Leaf Shield will jam his fan and do serious damage. It is best to wait until he jumps to the left side of the screen, then immediately spam Leaf Shield at point blank range.

DWN #011 - Bubble Man. Pop him with Metal Blades so you don't have to jump up to him. What do you mean you don't have metal blades.

DWN #012 - Quick Man. Originally conceived as a rival for Megaman, but nobody remembers that. Time Stopper alone will not kill him. Once it has run its course, use Crash Bombs if you have them.

DWN #013 - Crash Man. Or is it Clash Man?????? Air Shooter will blow his bombs back in his face. He really hates that attack.

DWN #014 - Flash Man. Or is it Frash Man?????? Ow Ow Ow ok ok. Crash Bombs work well on him... but wait, so do Metal Blades, which are much better. So use those. Funny fact, according to Rockman and Forte, he likes cameras, and hates that he is bald.

DWN #015 - Heat Man. He's *almost* as hard as his stage. Almost. It doesn't amount to much if you use Bubble Lead on him.

DWN #016 - Wood Man. On Easy, he can be killed with one fully-charged shot of Atomic Fire. However, metal blades saw through wood just as well. Hilariously, he is also weak to Air shooter. Yes, as in that weapon you got from the robot weak to woodman's weapon.

Mecha Dragon - Not particularly swear-inducing but sometimes his flame breath causes a knockback glitch that keeps on pushing you off of your platform. Use Quick Boomerang, Link.

Picopico machine - The worst part about this boss is not knowing where its parts are going to come flying in from. It is easy to get hit in this stage. However, Metal Blade is an effective weapon against it. Don't attack until the pieces have fully formed a target.

Guts Dozer - Dr. Wily has an odd obsession with Gutsman, huh? Quick Boomerang him in the eyes, he's one of the easier bosses.

Boobeam trap - the popular subject of conversation on this thread. Boobeam trap can be defeated in a single attempt, but it requires precise knowledge of Crash Bomb's ammo capacity. Remember that there are five turrets total.

Wily Machine 2 - One of the easiest incarnations of Wily Machine. Crash Bombs and Atomic Fire work great here, Crash moreso after Wily's face appears.

Alien - Alien will only travel in a figure-8 and occasionally shoot at you. Just keep using Bubble Lead, he's not hard.

SUCCESSOR
07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I beat the boobeam trap finally. Unfortunately I blew therest of my massive store of lives trying to take down quick man and crash man without their weakness. I went ahead and stopped there. Not for good I'll get back to it with fresh hopes. I think most of the games issues are worst for new players like me. Though the grinding was pretty awful. I agree with quite a bit of what The Satellite said but not All. I beat heat man's stage without item2 and the only problem I really had was the troll block placement over the lava that you can't see coming. I won't lie and say it didn't take a whole lot of tries to make it. I really enjoyed most of mega man 2 and agree it is a great game. It also pissed me off a lot and seems designed to do so. Will it be my favorite, its not looking good now but a second run through sometime may improve my feelings for it. I have a feeling those who love it are the ones who spent their childhood learning its quirks and evil ways.

The Satellite
07-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I just read your review and I have to disagree with all most much of it.

Overly annoying parts:
-Heat Mans level. Zoinks Scoob, like go get the rush jet or something.

As I clearly said in my post, if you don't know to get it first, you can't leave the level without game overing, or painstakingly attempting to survive the Yoku Block segment.

Levels that catch you off guard and/or require you to memorize:
-Quick Mans level. Know where your emergency exits are and which way they go.

Good luck doing that with fast-moving lasers coming at you, especially your first time.

Weak Design:
-Crash Bomb Wily Boss. I beat it on my first attempt with an E-tank so I can't say I had any problems, but dying there would certainly be a pain without regenerating energy pickups. Prior to fighting it for the first time there are plenty of energy drops at least. I had every weapon about full when I got there without any grinding.

Yes, getting there with energy is easy, but so is blowing energy at some point during the fight. And as you just admitted, it's a pain to grind more energy if you die.

Regarding cheap enemy placement I have to disagree. Not only is this one of the easiest Mega Man games, but it needs MORE deviously places enemies, not less. Everything enemy-wise is easily manageable in this game. I don't know what you mean by impossible to avoid corridor enemies. Are we playing the same game?!

Those little drills don't really do any damage, but they're quite an annoying nuisance and really could've been thought out better. Really when I wrote that review I was keeping the average player in mind, honestly by that point when I replayed the game to write that rant I was prepared, but for the unprepared gamer, it's a lot of shit. You're a very skilled gamer, so clearly many of my complaints may not translate to you, but I like to consider myself a fairly-skilled gamer as well and I stamp the word "no" all over this game.

Also for the dragon boss in Wiley-1 if you stand on the top platform and get hit you will land on the middle platform from the knock-back. (Don't stand on the back edge of it or try to jump backward!!!!!!!!!)

Fair enough for standing on the top block, but I'd get knocked off the block when I wasn't even standing near the back of it, the knockback was just that garbage.

Gleeok
07-10-2014, 04:40 AM
After playing #4 I would list 1-4 in the following order of best to worst:
1. Mega Man 3
2. Mega Man 2
3. Mega Man 1
4. Mega Man 4

I have to say I am very, very disappointed with 4. Easily the worst Mega Man game I've ever played (Counting the X series also). Here's why I think that:

-The soundtrack is fairly weak.
-The weapons are crap. Seriously, the buster shot is the by far the best weapon in the game. There's really no reason to change it, ever, except for Toad Bomb and Time stopper which are overpowered and require absolutely no skill to abuse. If I had known that from the start I would have beat Toad Man first. Basically, all the weapons have a 'gimmick' where they are effective on select enemies, however there's really no need to bother since the game practically throws E-Tanks and life refills at you.
-The charge shot is way overpowered to the point where I got bored holding down the button 80% of the time whether there was a enemy coming up to use it on or not. In fact, the first 5(!) bosses I defeated were brought down using the default weapon since it happened to be the most effective. ..I don't know if this just happened to be blind bad-luck but yeah...

Hopefully Mega Man 5 doesn't suffer from these awful design choices and gameplay.

As I clearly said in my post, if you don't know to get it first, you can't leave the level without game overing, or painstakingly attempting to survive the Yoku Block segment.

Why would you want to leave the level? :P That's half the fun of playing classic NES games--they have challenges in them that casual gamers nowadays are too stupid soft to manage. Sure it's highly annoying without the rush jet by todays standards for games, but part of the fun is being able to overcome the toughest challenges those games could dish out. I beat the block segment in MM2 when I was like 10 years-old. It never even occurred to me there was a shortcut. I just memorized the pattern, and I did it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything of the sort. I guess to me it just seems silly to rant that much about one of the best platformers of all time on the NES. For example, in Quick Mans stage I like the laser beam sequence. It would suck to play that level with them removed. The only issue I found with the game design was the crash-bomb boss, the rest are mainly just quirks.

I think I can answer why so many people hold MM2 as the "best MM game" for you: It has a very fast-paced flow with the best MM soundtrack and a solid selection of bosses. Also, all the robot weapons are not only useful but are bad-ass. You can practically select weapons at random an any random level and you can manage to do something clever with it (Flash thingy aside).

3 is still my favorite though.

Brasel
07-10-2014, 07:48 AM
After playing #4 I would list 1-4 in the following order of best to worst:
1. Mega Man 3
2. Mega Man 2
3. Mega Man 1
4. Mega Man 4

I have to say I am very, very disappointed with 4. Easily the worst Mega Man game I've ever played (Counting the X series also). Here's why I think that:

-The soundtrack is fairly weak.
-The weapons are crap. Seriously, the buster shot is the by far the best weapon in the game. There's really no reason to change it, ever, except for Toad Bomb and Time stopper which are overpowered and require absolutely no skill to abuse. If I had known that from the start I would have beat Toad Man first. Basically, all the weapons have a 'gimmick' where they are effective on select enemies, however there's really no need to bother since the game practically throws E-Tanks and life refills at you.
-The charge shot is way overpowered to the point where I got bored holding down the button 80% of the time whether there was a enemy coming up to use it on or not. In fact, the first 5(!) bosses I defeated were brought down using the default weapon since it happened to be the most effective. ..I don't know if this just happened to be blind bad-luck but yeah...

Hopefully Mega Man 5 doesn't suffer from these awful design choices and gameplay.

Yeah, Mega Man 4 isn't the best. I do love some of the music in it, though. Cossac's stage music is brilliant, and I really love Bright Man and Dust Man stage themes as well. I hate the fact that the game was designed so that you always have to have a charge shot ready. The sound it makes is so irritating.

Mega Man 5 is pretty much Mega Man 4, but you lose your charge shot when you get hit. Seriously, the game has barely been changed. There isn't really anything new aside from Beat and new enemies. It's still solid, and probably one of the most polished in the series, but it isn't the best by far. Probably my least favorite on the NES.

I have a feeling those who love it are the ones who spent their childhood learning its quirks and evil ways.

This is exactly right. I spent probably more time learning this game when I was a kid than any other game I've ever played. This one was one where I shared strategies with neighborhood kids, and it felt like a community effort to finish it. After playing through the games again recently, I think Mega Man 3 is definitely the better game, but Mega Man 2 is just so special to me that I can't help but love it more.

The Satellite
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything of the sort. I guess to me it just seems silly to rant that much about one of the best platformers of all time on the NES. For example, in Quick Mans stage I like the laser beam sequence. It would suck to play that level with them removed. The only issue I found with the game design was the crash-bomb boss, the rest are mainly just quirks.

I think I can answer why so many people hold MM2 as the "best MM game" for you: It has a very fast-paced flow with the best MM soundtrack and a solid selection of bosses. Also, all the robot weapons are not only useful but are bad-ass. You can practically select weapons at random an any random level and you can manage to do something clever with it (Flash thingy aside).

3 is still my favorite though.

"One of the best platformers" and "best MM soundtrack" are subjective, though. :P

Like I won't lie, it's still one of the best soundtracks in the series, but I like 3's a hell of a lot more for instance, as well as the game in general. Everything's subjective of course, and even if it may seem like I am I'm never attempting to sway anyone away from their opinion, just giving my side of the argument, also my rants are written with intentional... well not really exaggerated points but exaggerated emotion, because I think it's entertaining. By all means, like the game, enjoy it, but you'll never make me like anything but its soundtrack. ... and Air Man's stage.

DarkFlameWolf
07-10-2014, 08:42 PM
In order of preference, I'd place them in this listing from best to worst:
1. MM3
2. MM9
3. MM4
4. MM10
5. MM5
6. MM7
8. MM2
9. MM8
10. MM1

erm2003
07-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Just curious why people hate the original so much. Yes it was hard, there were no E tanks, the controls weren't as polished as the rest of the series and it was a little glitchy, but it was the foundation of the series and it still holds a special place in my heart - especially since I know I have finished that beast at least once or twice.

The Satellite
07-11-2014, 12:21 AM
I honestly think the first game is still really solid. It has its issues, the scoring system is pointless, the magnet beam requirement is quite mean especially if you aren't aware you'll need it, and if you get knocked into spikes by an enemy you can't escape using invincibility frames like you can in later games, and also the Yellow Devil is the evilest thing ever... ... if you don't use the select glitch. >.> <.<

But it was a solid game with a solid soundtrack, I thought.

rock_nog
07-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I never liked the original because... I dunno... it just never felt right to me. I can't explain it. There's something about it, where even when I know what I'm doing, I feel like I'm struggling for some reason, taking unnecessary hits, etc. Once I know a stage in the later Mega Man games, I can breeze through it no problem (most of the time). I never get that feeling with Mega Man 1, though, I never feel competent enough to breeze through stages (or even reach the bosses). Maybe it's a personal psychological issue, I dunno.

mrz84
07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I've only beat the original Mega Man once and that was a few months ago via the 3DS Virtual Console. The Wily Castle bosses posed the most problem to me (mostly Yellow Devil and Wily himself) with YD being the only enemy I used the 'Menu Glitch' on due to sheer annoyance. Wily was a bit of a challenge, but still easier than that big piece of giant putty. The music is great though and the game is a good challenge to play through.

DarkFlameWolf
08-02-2014, 07:22 AM
As of last night, ver. 1.2.0 of Megaman Unlimited was just released giving you a new stage: Whirlpool Man stage along with the ability to get his weapon and use it in the main game. (similar to how Punk, Ballade and Enker worked in MM10) He also added an endless attack and endless boss rush mode as well. For those who've played it before, redownload it again and play it, for those who don't know yet, you're in for a treat! :D

mrz84
08-03-2014, 10:16 PM
As of last night, ver. 1.2.0 of Megaman Unlimited was just released giving you a new stage: Whirlpool Man stage along with the ability to get his weapon and use it in the main game. (similar to how Punk, Ballade and Enker worked in MM10) He also added an endless attack and endless boss rush mode as well. For those who've played it before, redownload it again and play it, for those who don't know yet, you're in for a treat! :D

I've heard of the game, but never tried it yet. I have downloaded the newest version so I'm gonna try that.

I have to say though...that "anime style" trailer ending kinda makes me feel...uncomfortable (due to not knowing a better way to describe it) with the disembodied Mega Man arm...I don't know why....It just seems...brutal I guess. :shrug:

DarkFlameWolf
08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Play the game to the end and you'll see exactly why the title screen is as it is. And honestly, I couldn't think of any other image he could have displayed to clearly drive the point home what the overall story of the game is about. Beat it and you'll find out!

Xyvol
08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
I was always terrible at Mega Man games. I could usually get through the robot masters stages with enough attempts, but Wily's castles always gave me trouble. That didn't stop me from playing and enjoying them though. I never owned a Mega Man cart, they were rentals mostly. I remember playing Mega Man X and enjoying it, but I don't think I ever played any of the others in that series. I did get 9 when it came out on the Wii, but never finished it. (See above) Didn't get 10.

Brasel
08-07-2014, 09:33 AM
I picked up 5 and 6 for a good price a few days ago. I'm now only missing Mega Man 4 from the NES series. I don't really want to eBay that one, since I've picked up all my other Mega Man games in the wild. Collecting is so fun.

King Aquamentus
08-07-2014, 06:27 PM
So I noticed something a little strange about Robot Master serial numbers:

DLN-000: Protoman
DLN-001: Megaman
DLN-002: Roll
DLN-003 through 008: Cutman, Gutsman, etc.
DWN-009: Metal Man...

wut? Is Dr. Wily that lazy that he just butts into Light's numbering system at #9? Shouldn't Metal Man be DWN-000?

Well, I figured it out. Dr. Wily stole Light's robots, and is still kind of at debate with Light on whether they are "his" robots (some sources claim that Light and Wily worked on 000-008 together, after all.) Naturally, Dr. Wily considers, for instance, Cutman to be DWN-003 instead of DLN-003.

As to why Concrete Man is not DLN-009, well... I guess Dr. Light has a sense of humor. (Oil Man and Time Man from Powered-Up! don't fit into the numerical sequence at all; they use letters.)

mrz84
08-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Owning the Mega Man Robot Master Field Guide, I've encountered this myself as well (it is also mentioned in some the the manga translated in the more recent years, worth a read btw) And some robots have other numbers (the gameboy "Mega Man Killers" use the MKN designation, Bass/Forte uses SWN, the original robots from Mega/Rockman & Bass/Forte built by King use KGN - which excludes the robots re-used from MM8 - , the robots trio based on chinese folklore from Wily Wars ie: Busterrod G use WWN, though the Dark Man robots (from NES MM 5) don't have numbers to them, and neither do several support robots (ie: Beat, Auto, etc) nor does the Doc Master K-176 from NES MM2 and Duo from MM 8 onwards. The Fake Man (Police Robot from MM 9) also lacks a number while the rest of MM 9's Robot Masters have the DLN for being Light Robots (though this is glossed over by some people for whatever reason). The Stardroids from GB MM 5 have SRN for their numbers except for Sunstar himself. Another note is that King himself lacks a number despite Wily being credited as his creator.

I'm done rambling now. Being sick does that to me. *blark*

King Aquamentus
08-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Owning the Mega Man Robot Master Field Guide, I've encountered this myself as well (it is also mentioned in some the the manga translated in the more recent years, worth a read btw) And some robots have other numbers (the gameboy "Mega Man Killers" use the MKN designation, Bass/Forte uses SWN, the original robots from Mega/Rockman & Bass/Forte built by King use KGN - which excludes the robots re-used from MM8 - , the robots trio based on chinese folklore from Wily Wars ie: Busterrod G use WWN, though the Dark Man robots (from NES MM 5) don't have numbers to them, and neither do several support robots (ie: Beat, Auto, etc) nor does the Doc Master K-176 from NES MM2 and Duo from MM 8 onwards. The Fake Man (Police Robot from MM 9) also lacks a number while the rest of MM 9's Robot Masters have the DLN for being Light Robots (though this is glossed over by some people for whatever reason). The Stardroids from GB MM 5 have SRN for their numbers except for Sunstar himself. Another note is that King himself lacks a number despite Wily being credited as his creator.

I'm done rambling now. Being sick does that to me. *blark*

Also, those special serial prefixes individually start at 000 and go up, unlike the DLN and DWN series.

Brasel
08-26-2014, 12:40 AM
I didn't post this here for some reason. I now have all 6 Mega Man games on the NES.

I picked up Mega Man X on the SNES as well. I'm looking for the super freaking expensive ones now.

I'm thinking of doing a video that critically analyses all 6 of the NES Mega Man games. I want to see which one is the best out of these 6, without looking at them through nostalgia colored glasses. This will be hard because I've played them all a million times and they don't really challenge me unless I start putting rules on myself like "no damage" or "no weapon use" runs. I played 4 and 5 the last two nights. They were both a lot better when I looked at them for their flaws and their strengths. Mega Man 5 definitely has the best graphics in the NES series. The only problem I have with both of these entries is that there is no real reason to use robot master weapons unless you're fighting robot masters or end bosses. Even then, sometimes the Mega Buster charge shot is still the way to go. See: Toad Man.

King Aquamentus
08-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Megaman 2 is always the one people fawn over, though tbh I don't think it really...*quite* refined the Megaman experience for me like #3 did, and 3 was full of little bugs and unfinished stuff. Yet I don't really care as much for 4 and 5, good as they are. I did like 6.

The Satellite
08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
I bought Megaman V for Game Boy off the 3DS Virtual Console a little bit ago and recently actually played and beat it. It was a little shorter than most titles, and also pretty easy overall in comparison, but it was fun. The only Game Boy titles in the series I've played though are this and the first, Dr. Wily's Revenge, which I emulated. That was a while ago though, so I don't really remember how well it went. It seemed decent from memory at least. I haven't quite heard good things about the Game Boy titles, but did hear that V wasn't bad. And honestly, it was kinda fun, and almost stands on its own against the NES series. It had some neat and unique twists on gameplay, it had bosses that weren't robot masters, and Dr. Wily, while present, was not the final boss. The story wasn't that great but hey, it's Megaman, what do you expect? My only real issues with it were that there didn't seem to be very many checkpoints, and a death could require you to do a lot of backtracking; also, some areas seemed like they required a little too much precision, leading to the aforementioned issue. Lastly, the controls and physics aren't as precise as the NES games and it feels a little floaty as a result, so if you're too used to the NES controls, this might throw you off just enough to be a slight annoyance. Otherwise it was actually quite fun. I'm not sure I could give it a strong recommendation, but it's worth looking into I'd say.

Brasel
08-27-2014, 10:48 AM
I bought Megaman V for Game Boy off the 3DS Virtual Console a little bit ago and recently actually played and beat it. It was a little shorter than most titles, and also pretty easy overall in comparison, but it was fun. The only Game Boy titles in the series I've played though are this and the first, Dr. Wily's Revenge, which I emulated. That was a while ago though, so I don't really remember how well it went. It seemed decent from memory at least. I haven't quite heard good things about the Game Boy titles, but did hear that V wasn't bad.

Mega Man IV was pretty good too, from what I remember. My friend had it and I played it years ago. I haven't played it since. I'm planning on picking it up on the Virtual Console since it'll be cheap, and if I like it enough, I'll grab a physical copy so I can do a review of it.

The Satellite
08-30-2014, 12:36 AM
So Megaman 6 was a lot better than I remember. I bought it last week on Wii U Virtual Console and had a hell of a good time with it. I now think it's one of the best, maybe the best, I dunno. The only thing I didn't like much was not being able to jump out of a slide anymore, but it's honestly pretty minor. Bought 4 now, so I'll see if that's as good as I remember.

Brasel
08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
I played 6 the other night too. The best part about it is the Rush Jet adapter. It's really fun to use. I really liked the turn from the old Rush accessories in this game. The music is solid, and the gameplay is as good as ever. My problem with 6 are the Wily bosses. They're just really silly, and feel like they were just thrown together at the last minute. I played 5 the night before and I have to say that I think the graphics in 5 are better than the graphics in 6.

The Satellite
09-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah, beat 4 again, about as solid as I remember other than Drill Man's stage being a little annoying at the falling debris segment. Also, Ring Boomerang was overused in the Cossack/Wily stages, health bars fill up too slowly, and I miss the full control over Rush Jet that you had in 3. Otherwise, it's a really solid game.

In other thoughts, 9 and 10 need rereleases on both 3DS and Wii U eShops. They can be just straight rips of the already-released ones, or they can have in added touchscreen features, and by that I mean the Shovel Knight method of having all your gear on the touchscreen and you can quick-swap it that way. That would be pretty cool, but I'd settle for just straight ports to the eShops.

SUCCESSOR
09-09-2014, 03:21 AM
So... Is it Mega Man or Megaman?!

mrz84
09-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Mega Man. Though, I sometimes use the latter as well. Usually because of laziness. :kitty:

The Satellite
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I call him "Megaman" for a variety of reasons. One is admittedly a weak reason and following after the pattern of superheroes with their name as one word, Batman, Superman, etc. The other is that in many of the games he's called "Megaman" as one word. The last is that Rockman is one word in Japan, so I kinda just follow that pattern with his English name as well. Honestly, I think they're interchangeable, I just personally prefer it as one word. Officially speaking, it's "Mega Man," I guess.

DarkFlameWolf
09-10-2014, 09:08 PM
That Drill Man segment with the rocks is insanely easy once you realize you can SHOOT and DESTROY said rocks. Makes the entire section laughably easy.

The Satellite
09-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Most of my attention was on the other enemies and that hadn't crossed my mind, though I'd noticed you could shoot the small debris, guess I figured the large debris wouldn't break that easy. Also I dunno if it's your intention but the way your post is written makes it seem kinda condescending. :/

Brasel
09-12-2014, 01:43 PM
I just use Skull Shield through that part. I think.

The Satellite
09-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Well I own 1-7 now on Wii U, as well as X. Finished 1 the other day and am working on 7, then probably X, trying to 100% those two. 2 and 5 after that I suppose. Those'll keep me occupied for a while. Until Hyrule Warriors is out anyway. >.>