PDA

View Full Version : Creative Writing Excercises

SUCCESSOR
05-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Well, I noticed there are a few writers here. I recently posted some stuff on PZC's Poetry Thread and it made me realize that I haven't written in about 5 years. This has really been bugging me. I have been a writer since I was a child. I always aspired toward writing a novel but I have never been good at forming a complete story, though I have had a lot of great ideas throughout the years.

Anyway, I decided to start doing some writing exercises to get the creative juices flowing. I invite you--no, I CHALLENGE YOU! (just kidding)--to do them with me. Whatever comes out of it doesn't have to be awesome or majestic. Just do it. It's an exercise not a test. It's should take 5 to 20 minutes not hours of labor

tl;dr:

First Exercise: 7x7x7x7
*Take the seventh book from your bookshelf(or the seventh book you can find in your house), located the seventh page, take the seventh sentence and make it the first line of your poem(or prose) that is only seven lines long.

The seventh book on my shelf was Shapechanger's Song. Due to weird page numbering I used the seventh page in chapter 1 which was actually page 26 and I went to the next line because the seventh sentence contained a made up word(as fantasy novels often due) that I didn't want to be confusing. I think writing this post has taken longer than it took me to do the exercise. I must be rambling.
Here's what I did:

Well, and I had thought to make you mine.
If this is so then I would not oppose the divine.
Raptured as I am by the timbre of your soul.
Staid and sturdily I shall stand controlled.

Tempured by the hammer of your wit,
Tempted by the tenor of your drift,
As the philosopher upon the cosmos pines.

Liliith
05-18-2014, 04:12 PM
---

CJC
05-20-2014, 01:42 AM
My line is from Hostetler's Calculus, which was the last in a stack of seven math books.

The January readings for various years are shown in Figure P.11.
February's readings were in Figure P.12,
but that was swept out the window by a brief pressure differential.

To save time, we summarized summer with only July (As shown in Figure P.17).
The intense solar exposure of the seventh month
causing brush fires across the drought-ridden ground.
These fires destroyed all the other data.

That was fun!

SUCCESSOR
05-20-2014, 05:47 AM
you should some creative writing courses. they can be really fun and productive with the right teacher or group, and at least they get you in the habit of writing.
Never worked out very well in the past. I am not much of a social guy and if I am not self motivated then I am not at all. Also, I owe back tuition so attending college is not happening till thats paid off.

Having someone interested and supportive is nice but I haven't had such a person in well over 7 years. Which was never because I was nervous about people disliking my work but more afraid of hearing how amazing it is from people who know nothing about poetry/writing. Sadly people like that tend to like creative writing for some reason.

My line is from Hostetler's Calculus, which was the last in a stack of seven math books.

The January readings for various years are shown in Figure P.11.
February's readings were in Figure P.12,
but that was swept out the window by a brief pressure differential.

To save time, we summarized summer with only July (As shown in Figure P.17).
The intense solar exposure of the seventh month
causing brush fires across the drought-ridden ground.
These fires destroyed all the other data.

That was fun!
LOL, nice.

I'm gonna look for another one to do tomorrow. Slap me if I neglect to do it.