PDA

View Full Version : Smash Bros Direct

mrz84
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Just finished watching the Super Smash Bros Direct a bit ago. A lot more was revealed than I expected. And that character duo reveal at the end.

Anybody else watch the direct yet? If so, what are your thoughts with the new revealed info (even though Sakurai did say that some may change before release)? If not, you can watch it yourself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

Personally, I'm excited with most of the changes. It's also nice that some things are confirmed finally, but there's still more that could be revealed before the final release. Or it could be kept under wraps for surprise or whatever.

Overall, the direct was great and I'm looking forward to this game (DAY 1, both versions!)

Goriya
04-08-2014, 11:45 PM
That was a great direct, especially the end. (Which I almost missed.)

Seriously though, I've always wanted Custom movesets in a Smash Bros game. While I doubt it, I wonder if there are Customizble costumes too. :o

ShadowTiger
04-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I am so totally psyched for the "For Fun" vs "For Glory" mode. I doubt I will ever venture from the latter to occupy a few moments in the former, to be honest, but this is ultimately superseded by the likely probability that I won't be getting this version of Smash Bros. I'm not sure why. I probably don't want to spend the money on a new console or even a 3DS, at least unless there's a new platforming RPG Castlevania. I love those far too much. I'm still in love with Project M for Brawl, and I am not a fan of laggy online multiplayer anyway.

mrz84
04-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Mirror of Fate is the closest to a platy Castlevania (not sure on if it has rpg elements or not yet...still havent played it myself outside of the demo) and even then its been released (in HD) on xbox360 and ps3 (not sure on ps3...), otherwise the closest thing to a platy, rpg castlevania is castlevania 2 for the 3DS' VC (and thats a stretch). Outside of those your choices are limited to the DS games (backwards combatability) for 3DS.

GrantGreif
04-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Back on the subject of the Direct, I personally like the removal of character changes during battle. (I don't know a single person who doesn't just use Zelda for Shiek) Also, I felt that Greninja was an intresting choice for a newcomer. Speaking of which, it looks like those who want Ridley are out of luck!

CJC
04-11-2014, 06:36 PM
...They changed Kirby's hammer.

They changed his hammer, and there's no footage of him using it in the air.
I don't care if they add a vulnerability to the air hammer, but I like the double-swipe and I think the power is right.

...I really hope they didn't ruin my Brawl Kirby.

Anyway, it's too late for any kind of changes to the roster but I would have liked to see some of the characters get a completely new control set. For example, I would have liked to see a two-sword Toon Ganondorf to emphasize their Wind Waker HD release.
Also, Miles Prower would have been a nice addition to their third-party roster. He could play like sonic but get the biplane on a final smash.

mrz84
04-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Concerning Ridley...people are debating him still. Their argument is mostly that the shadow in the video stops moving for a few seconds (I'm not sure most bosses in any game have that kinda AI programmed anymore, but maybe I'm not playing the right games. meh) and that Ridley was being player controlled (my personal take: I've never seen any of Ridley's Metroid boss battles stay still for anything other than in Prime's near-end game battle with the mouth laser, but maybe I'm not reembering all the Ridley fights right)

My take on Ridley being playable: If he's in, nice. If not, than oh well. Meh.

I'm neutral to Ridley's inclusion (mostly), even if I'd like other games (like Metroid) to get some more reps. Ya, Mario gets lotsa reps cause Mario = Nintendo (ie: the mascot) and gets the most attention. However, I think other series should have some more reps (as long as they aren't ****ing clones and have original move sets)

And one thing I am hoping most for in this game: Ganondorf gets an original moveset. *use the ****ing sword Sakurai!* Seriously. I like Ganny, but he needs to be not be a Falcon clone. I like CJC's 2-Sword WW Ganny idea. That would be a nice addition. BUT. I'm not gonna hold my breath on Sakurai actually changin Ganny much, if at all.

GrantGreif
04-13-2014, 09:18 AM
I seem to remember Sakurai saying something during the Ridley scene that implied that he wasn't playable, but I don't really feel like searching through a forty-minute video to find it. Also, given that Dark Samus is listed as an assist trophy, I doubt that anybody wants to give the series a new rep. (Meanwhile, there are three versions of Link)

MasterSwordUltima
04-15-2014, 07:23 AM
*sigh*

I will be really unhappy with this game if Snake doesn't return.

mrz84
04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
While I wasn't that good with Snake, I'd miss him too. Unless they replace him with a Belmont (for some reason I see Castlevania as a more recognizable IP with Konami than Metal Gear. Probably since I've only played the NES game and the 1st MGS game...)

On that note...If Snake were to be replaced with a Belmont/other Castlevania character, there's only a few I see as logical choices.
1- Simon Belmont. Been in more games (Alucard and Trevor follow close behind) than any character in the IP (and I'm not counting Dracula or Death though either would make a good companion villain for Smash, but then there's the unspoken 1 3rd party character per 3rd party company, excluding Assist Trophies,etc) and has the most history with Nintendo (more than MGS, most of the Castlevania games were released on Niny's systems with a hand full released on other systems. The opposite is true for MGS with 5 games, including ports/remakes on Nintendo systems. The others releases on Sony/Microsoft systems and PC and mobile devices). Simon is considered one of the most iconic characters in the series (again, with Alucard and Trevor following behind) and has a lot of moveset potential (I can imagine a few different FS for him, including Grand Cross from the later games)
2- Alucard. Debuted in Castlevania 3 and while SotN hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console, he has been playable in one of Dawn of Sorrow's unlockable modes. Has a lot of moveset potential (though I don't have a lot of FS ideas other than some of his spells) and I can see him being quite formidable.
3- Trevor Belmont. Appearing in Castlevania 3 and Judgement (for Nintendo), has also made cameos in other games (most notable of which as a recurring zombie boss along with Sypha Belnades and Grant DaNasty in SotN and PoR. He has a similar moveset potential to Simon, though one could easily give him variations/alternatives to those same moves that Simon could use.
4- Soma Cruz. Appeared in 2 games as the main character and as the resurrected form of Dracula, making him an important entity in the series' mythos/timeline. His moveset would most likely involve a combination of weapons and enemy souls with his FS a bit tricky (perhaps he calls upon Dracula's full power? idk), but he would be a somewhat balanced fighter imho.

That's my thoughts on that. Personally I believe Snake won't get cut, but we won't know until its announced before then/the game is release. I'd say his chances of being cut are slim though (unless Sakurai thinks that only 3-ish 3rd party characters can be in, as some fans think is some weird rule or whatever. We have Snake and Mega Man so far, so he could be in still unless he decides to put in a Namco rep instead in the 3-3rd rule idea)

GrantGreif
04-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Imagine if they put in Ravio from a Link Between Worlds. He could use the four rods for his specials and smack people with his sack of money!

mrz84
04-17-2014, 01:32 PM
It would be interesting to see what his FS would be. I can't really think of anything other than a ton of money falling from the sky all over the place -OR- he uses
the most powerful item at his disposal (whatever it is in ALBW, haven't played it forever to remember what the strongest item-whether by usefulness or abilities-would be)

Some characters I'd like to see as Newcomers/Veterans in the new Smash: Golden Sun rep(most likely Isaac since he was an AT last game), Shulk (Xenogears), King K. Rool (DKC games villain), Snake(MGS)/Castlevania Rep (most likely Simon Belmont, Alucard, Trevor Belmont, or Soma Cruz in descending order with maybe Dracula as a villain rep as long as they ignore the Lrods of Shadow versions. not that i hate LoS, it just doesn't seem as a good choice since Smash is about iconic characters), Ice Climbers (cause I liked playing as them. meh), R.O.B. (also liked playing as him), Proto Man/Blues (original series version, not BN. FS would be the Big Bang Strike from MM&B. most likely will be an AT though or an alt costume), Bass/Forte (orignal version or BN, either one. BN would have Darkness Overload for FS, original would probably summon Treble/Gospel and fuse)

GrantGreif
04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Perhaps Ravio's FS could be turning the person in front of him into a painting, or maybe he could have Link's FS, but with the black triforce.

mrz84
04-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Using a power similar to the painting changing power would be interesting as to what happens afterwards to the victim(s).
I hadn't thought of the Lorule Triforce though. That's actually a pretty good idea.

mitsymckenzie777
04-19-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm still hoping Meta Knight makes it in but there is still hope Neither Ness nor Lucas have made it in so maybe there will be more characters.