PDA

View Full Version : The Joke's On Me

Beldaran
04-01-2014, 11:30 PM
You're all invited to come have a laugh at my expense.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MagnusVonBlack/videos

http://www.magnusvonblack.com

I've been posting on this crazy website since before the invention of dinosaur shit, so if I want to self promote my obnoxious dork-bag rock and roll projects, you'll just have to endure. :goofy:

CJC
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
The book looks interesting. Did you indie publish? You could also set up a trade paperback edition if you split it into two volumes (what with the 800 page limit on 6x9 paperbacks. Is there a good halfway point you could break the story at for printing purposes)?

I indie publish trade paperbacks using an Amazon print-on-demand subsidiary called Createspace. If you're willing to put in your own hard labor the process is quite affordable, costing little more than the price of proofs and shipping. I can get you a link if you like.

Beldaran
04-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks dude. Yeah, I checked it out, but I just think that it wouldn't be economical. As it is, the entire book is only $4.99, but if I had two volumes, they would have to be like $8 each just to avoid losing money.

mrz84
04-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Considering the date this was posted on, I wasn't sure if this was an April Fool's joke or not (I've developed a sense of caution for this one day a year alone), however after watching the videos I found them to be very nicely done and entertaining. As for the book, I don't have a kindle-friendly device at the moment.

CJC
04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks dude. Yeah, I checked it out, but I just think that it wouldn't be economical. As it is, the entire book is only $4.99, but if I had two volumes, they would have to be like $8 each just to avoid losing money.

I understand. It is sometimes reasonable to charge more for a print edition of the book, considering the reader is getting a physical object for their purchase, and I've found the ratio of pricing for Paperback versus Kindle is $4/$1, or $8/$1 if the book in question is color (for indie publishers, anyway; the big guys release both versions for the same price which I honestly feel is a rip). It's hard to get a good royalty payout for print, though, because so much of the revenue is eaten in the fabrication and shipping (and Amazon's cut, 40% of gross).

I'll see about getting a kindle copy of yours for my cloud as soon as I have some money.

Liliith
04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
---

Chris Miller
04-03-2014, 04:40 PM
results of veganism.

I didn't see anyone passing out from exhaustion, so maybe not. :3

That's some great stuff there, Beldaran.

Liliith
04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
---

Chris Miller
04-03-2014, 09:21 PM
It comes from this (http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/104/88) thing.
So, probably not.

Beldaran
04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
I didn't see anyone passing out from exhaustion, so maybe not. :3

That's some great stuff there, Beldaran.

lol thank you. And no, I'm not passing out from exhaustion. The whole "you'll die without meat" phenomenon is marketing from the meat industry, who donates billions to congress.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bios_strength

I just eat piles of fruit and vegetables and I feel super energetic all the time. Surely you realize that my powers aren't derived entirely​ from the tutu. :)

Liliith
04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
---

Beldaran
04-04-2014, 06:06 PM
how does one go about promoting such a thing?

I have no idea. :)

CJC
04-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Promotion is the trickiest part in indie publishing. Advertisements are too expensive and there's always a lingering (false) sensation that you're being pushy by telling people about your book. Most people say the blog circuit is the way to go, but there's no single method that puts your book in millions of hands.

The advice I heard that was the most inspiring was the call to be prolific. The more pieces out there with your name on them, the more likely somebody is going to stumble upon one of them.

As for promoting a band or musical project, I have no idea. Flyers?

Beldaran
04-04-2014, 07:54 PM
I believe the blog argument is circular.

"How do you promote your book?"
"Oh, start a blog."
"Great! How do I promote my blog?"
"Voodoo death magic."

Liliith
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
---

MasterSwordUltima
04-05-2014, 04:53 PM
The whole "you'll die without meat" phenomenon is marketing from the meat industry, who donates billions to congress.

This whole thread is marketing from the Beldaran industry, who donates nothing to congress. COINCIDENCE!?!?!?

Gleeok
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
I lol'd. The tutu must grant powers of +1 to production value.

As for promoting the blog: Just write a song to promote it... :^p