PDA

View Full Version : Questions/clarifications about frame rate.

GuntherK
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I know by capping the frame rate, Zelda Classic slows down the games speed to a manageable, playable pace, and when the frame rate is uncapped, it's full speed. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but that's what I understand is the basic idea behind limiting the frame rate and speed.
But my question is, optimally, the games are supposed to run at around 60 fps, correct? Then why, if my computer can process the game at high speeds, can it not maintain a steady 60fps frame rate? Because in the menu screen, ZC runs at about 48 smoothly, and while playing the Lost Isle quest, it hovers around 50 fps.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to set my computer and ZC to run at a full 60 fps for every quest, but I am curious as to why the framerate display would say 60fps is the maximum at a capped limit, and why the game doesn't run steadily at that speed.

Nicholas Steel
03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Unsure, could you list your computer specs? (Use my signature as an example)

Gleeok
03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Is should run at 60 FPS on almost any PC.

Are you on Windows?
A) Try opening up the ag.cfg file and setting "frame_rest_suggest = 0". Sleep is not consistent across Windows OS or hardware, so just double check this is not the case first. Or,
B) Enable vsync.

Either option may work, however CPU may go up dramatically. That's why they are disabled by default.