PDA

View Full Version : quarter a ride

Mercy
02-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else remember coin operated rides outside grocery stores and shopping malls? Horses were the most common where I grew up, but there were also cars, trains, boats, planes, and rocket ships. The helicopters were a real treat because they usually allowed you to control vertical lift. The ferris wheels (http://midlifecrisishawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Coin-Operated-Ferris-Wheel.jpg) were somewhat surreal and I remember being mildly relieved when I was old enough to say I was too old for those.

CJC
02-20-2014, 07:55 PM
The two I remember seeing were Garfield and the Rocket, though I never rode either.

Chris Miller
02-20-2014, 08:17 PM
I rode the horse at Wal-Mart just the other day.

SUCCESSOR
02-20-2014, 08:58 PM
They no longer have them where you live?!

Most grocery stores and K Marts around here have something of the sort. Walmarts usually have one or two in the inner entry near the carts and claw machines. I can hardly remember being small enough to ride such things. Most are designed for 5 and under besides the ones at the mall which were slightly more exciting.

They also seem to be a good deal more than a quarter per ride. I think the carousel at the K Mart was 75cents or a dollar. When we were going in I'd just throw Sindri on a free horse while it was going on someone else's dime.

The ferris wheels (http://midlifecrisishawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Coin-Operated-Ferris-Wheel.jpg) were somewhat surreal...

That looks cool. I wish they had those around when I was a kid!

Ventus
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I really liked riding them type of things I mean for 25 cents you could have a few awesome seconds of adventure... though I haven't been able to get the little red car ride at walmart after doing a dare and riding it... I broke the damn thing.
The should have really put something there that said no 300 pound men on this ride. -_-

Funny I know...:P

Shadowblazer
02-21-2014, 10:02 AM
My parents never let me ride those :(

SUCCESSOR
02-21-2014, 06:26 PM
My parents never let me ride those :(
So that is why you are so evil...!

ShadowTiger
02-21-2014, 07:13 PM
^

I rarely, if ever actually went into or onto one of those. They seemed so pointless, being all stationary and whatnot. I used to like to think if I could sever whatever chain was binding them, I could slowly and awkwardly ride off into the nearby sunset, and do my best to avoid getting caught by the local Walmart rent-a-cop before he finished ogling the people of walmart dot com.

Aegix Drakan
02-22-2014, 12:06 AM
^

I rarely, if ever actually went into or onto one of those. They seemed so pointless, being all stationary and whatnot. I used to like to think if I could sever whatever chain was binding them, I could slowly and awkwardly ride off into the nearby sunset, and do my best to avoid getting caught by the local Walmart rent-a-cop before he finished ogling the people of walmart dot com.

Thank you for that amazing mental image. It was wonderful.

Now excuse me, I need to glue my ass back on. I appear to have laughed it straight off.

rock_nog
02-22-2014, 02:41 AM
I can't be certain, but I have vague recollections of Chuck E. Cheese having like a hot air balloon or helicopter type ride that actually went up and down. Now that was worth the quarter, assuming I'm actually remembering this correctly and not just inventing something from my own fevered imagination. Lord knows I've got enough problems as it is without having delusions about Chuck E. Cheese rides that never existed.

ShadowTiger
02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I can't be certain, but I have vague recollections of Chuck E. Cheese having like a hot air balloon or helicopter type ride that actually went up and down. Now that was worth the quarter, I read that as Chuck Norris. Not only did it completely change the context by which I had read it, but excited several new and quite honestly fantastic images in my head. I'm not sure how I will be sleeping tonight, if at all. Thank you. Thank you so much for that. Still debating whether glasses are worth it, not that I wouldn't be too lazy to use them.

Really felt the need to post one more time in this thread. Not sure why.