PDA

View Full Version : Glitches, man!

SUCCESSOR
02-13-2014, 03:01 AM
I bought several games the other day. FFx, FFX-2, FFXII, and Tales of Symphonia. I brought my PS2 into the living room; it's been my bedroom dvd player. I've never beat any of these besides ToS. I Start playing FFX and get passed where the city blows up and see Auron and that creepy kid. Auron says "Look" and they stare off into nothing for almost 2 minutes and then Auron and Tidus merge into one being. Nothing! FUCK! I try a couple more times, same shit! Google it... yeah, yeah, yeah, glitch no fix, FUCK!

The only solutions out there are for a PS2 emulator. How can this be? There aren't any terrible scratches on the disk. Is there a way to copy a save file onto a memcard to skip that part? Why couldn't those bastards at Square just let us skip cutscenes?! I dunno. It cost me less than 5 bucks but I really wanted to play this game again.

SUCCESSOR
02-13-2014, 05:46 PM
All the other PS2 games seem to work fine, so I don't think my PS2 is the problem. Maybe the lens needs cleaning...

CJC
02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Do you have a disc doctor (disc resurfacing buffer)? I've had problems with used games before that were remedied with a resurfacing, maybe you could pick one up from a used game shop and try it.

We even had old audio CDs that couldn't run anymore because of severe scratches that worked again after a buff in the disc doctor.

SUCCESSOR
02-13-2014, 07:13 PM
No buffer. I can try the toothpaste method but I don't see any significant scratches. I was going to grab a dvd lens cleaner from Wally World but they want ten bucks for a disc with a brush thing on it. I may order one online for a few bucks if a few swabs of rubbing alcohol dont help. I could try both. I guess I could pick up some superfine sand paper and polishing solution.

Aegix Drakan
02-13-2014, 07:24 PM
0_o That sounds like the creepiest glitch I have EVER seen.

SUCCESSOR
02-13-2014, 07:29 PM
0_o That sounds like the creepiest glitch I have EVER seen.

7T6zbvm_EpE

Gleeok
02-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I've found that PS2's hold up pretty well for a long time even though they are cheaply made, with the exception of two things: Depending on the air quality, lenses seem to dirty faster on a PS2 than any other console, and the tracks will build up gunk and wear out faster than any of the other parts. Both problems can give you similar symptoms such as slow loading, disk reading, whatever, but the latter can wreak havoc. You're going to have to take it apart for either one of these. What model do you have?

For the record I've gone through 2 previous PS2's, but the one I have now is a 2002(4?) model and the only reason it's still going strong is because I open it up and clean it every year. I wish I would've done the same to the first PS2 I owned; it would probably still be working!

Aegix Drakan
02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Ok, that's less creepy than I thought. That just looks hugely aggravating. :s

Xyvol
02-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I found something interesting about it here. (http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100712122725AA5Texe)
This poster gives an explanation for the cause.

If there is a smudge on the disc near the outside rim, the game will hang at this point. Instead of going to a frozen or black screen, you will see Tidus run and hide behind Auron, then they continue to look at a point off screen until you reset the game. That section of the game is rendered in regular graphics, not FMV (full motion video). What causes this? Changing sectors. The PS2 laser switches to the next sector of the DVD at the exact point Auron says "look". On a standard PS2, the cpu then calls up a preloaded FMV to mask the load time/sector change, like the random battle swirling or glass breaking cinematics.

Solution? Clean the discs, really well. Also look into getting a kit that can clean the laser/eye in your PS2. They should be relatively cheap to find. Even the slightest smudge or fingerprint on the disc can cause this to happen, so make sure everything is dust free, smudge free, and scratch free.

I hope it's that simple so you don't have to spend money trying to make it work!

-Alternatively, you could spend 10 hours watching it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_tiR5Ux9o

SUCCESSOR
02-13-2014, 08:50 PM
I've found that PS2's hold up pretty well for a long time even though they are cheaply made, with the exception of two things: Depending on the air quality, lenses seem to dirty faster on a PS2 than any other console, and the tracks will build up gunk and wear out faster than any of the other parts. Both problems can give you similar symptoms such as slow loading, disk reading, whatever, but the latter can wreak havoc. You're going to have to take it apart for either one of these. What model do you have?

For the record I've gone through 2 previous PS2's, but the one I have now is a 2002(4?) model and the only reason it's still going strong is because I open it up and clean it every year. I wish I would've done the same to the first PS2 I owned; it would probably still be working!

I may take it apart soon. It's a silver slim model. I dunno what year. I could take a closer look. If the drive is as fragile as you say I might have to clean the thing. Does it need lubricating after it is cleaned? I'll have to pick some up, if so.

I found something interesting about it here. (http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100712122725AA5Texe)
This poster gives an explanation for the cause.

I hope it's that simple so you don't have to spend money trying to make it work!

-Alternatively, you could spend 10 hours watching it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_tiR5Ux9o

I had a feeling something like that was happening. It seems silly that the minor scratches on the disc could cause such a problem. Unless the drive is really dirty. I haven't noticed any play issues or bad load times before, though.

Gleeok
02-13-2014, 09:13 PM
I may take it apart soon. It's a silver slim model. I dunno what year. I could take a closer look. If the drive is as fragile as you say I might have to clean the thing. Does it need lubricating after it is cleaned? I'll have to pick some up, if so.

I'm not entirely sure about that model. If it's newer than 2010 I doubt there's any significant problems internally and it's probably the disk. I was referring to the older PS2 systems.

Ventus
02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that's its Scratched disk problem I've had it happened once before on and copy of the game I found in a game stop dumpster.
There was some scratches on it, and a better way to fix the scratches If you have some Car Wax, the type I use and had best results with is Carnauba Wax in a liquid form.

Now what you want to do is apply a few drops of it to the Disk and use a microfiber cloth and rub in a circular motion all around the disk and make sure to focus on the areas that look rough.
And then let it dry few a good 30 seconds and then buff it off with a clean microfiber clothe and that should do something.

Xyvol
02-14-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that's its Scratched disk problem I've had it happened once before on and copy of the game I found in a game stop dumpster.
There was some scratches on it, and a better way to fix the scratches If you have some Car Wax, the type I use and had best results with is Carnauba Wax in a liquid form.

Now what you want to do is apply a few drops of it to the Disk and use a microfiber cloth and rub in a circular motion all around the disk and make sure to focus on the areas that look rough.
And then let it dry few a good 30 seconds and then buff it off with a clean microfiber clothe and that should do something.

My brother uses margarine. Or maybe it was actual butter...?

Aliem
02-14-2014, 03:12 AM
That's bizarre. I've never heard of that happening before.

If all else fails, and you've got a PS3 or a Vita... Man, I'd suggest picking up X-HD when it drops next month.

SUCCESSOR
02-18-2014, 03:38 AM
That's bizarre. I've never heard of that happening before.

If all else fails, and you've got a PS3 or a Vita... Man, I'd suggest picking up X-HD when it drops next month.

Unfortunately, no. I have heard there is a chance of it dropping on Xbox 360. I dunno how true that will be with the eclipsing by Xbone. If it does, or if I pick up a PS3(not that unlikely) I will be sure to pick it up.

I picked up some brasso and gave the disc a good polish. Unfortunately, it didn't have any effect. It seems the game plays perfectly up until that sector change. There are a couple small but deep(well, deeper than the superficial scratches) on the outer edge. To fix these I'll either a Disc Doctor or some sanding paper. I am not too keen on either sanding a whole disc for two scratches or spending ~$30 bucks.