PDA

View Full Version : Starbound!

Dechipher
02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Do you guys play it?

I love the retro feel combined with the sandbox combined with the story-based elements. I'm really hoping they do good with this game, and take the best elements from, like, everything.

MasterSwordUltima
02-07-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm just going to wait for ShadowTiger to reply.

In the meantime - I can't stand the lack of consistant graphics, it bothers me a lot. I much prefer Terraria's cleaner look. Other than that Starbound is tits.

mrz84
02-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but I have been meaning to.

Shadowblazer
02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I grabbed it a couple weeks ago. Played it for a few days and really enjoyed it, but then other things started to occupy my time. It's a lot of fun though, and definitely something I plan to go back to at some point. Takes all of the things that I like about Minecraft and adds a whole lot more.

ShadowTiger
02-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm just going to wait for ShadowTiger to reply.Hey now. :P

In the meantime - I can't stand the lack of consistent graphics, it bothers me a lot. I much prefer Terraria's cleaner look. Other than that Starbound is tits.
I agree very much. I prefer Terraria's art style, but I like that Starbound looks slightly easier to draw, so more developer art progress can be made at a faster rate, potentially. I hope, anyway.

According to Tiy, there will be some fantastic end-game-like content. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Dechipher
02-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I read their most recent post. It's crazy if you think about it as an incomplete game - it would be so easy to judge is as complete at this point. I look forward to them taking a lot of different concepts and really fleshing them out. I think there is a lot of potential in this game, and it's already really fun. Maybe what I like most is that you can tell the guys who make it really love good games, and aren't just looking for the easiest way to bait people to pay money (common in our era of mobile gaming and EA).

SUCCESSOR
02-09-2014, 05:10 AM
This looks cool! Now if only I could install anything...

ShadowTiger
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I remember how very, very early on in the game's development conception, they had this big notion of an entire starbase being your home base. They've taken that idea and turned it from being an early game base to an end-game base. How incredible is that? You actually get to build it and everything. Even that big yellow Mech they animated is in the end-game.

MasterSwordUltima
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
What's the dealio with that mech? Because I was under the assumption I could make a pimped out base somewhere and make an underground hanger stocked up with them. Then grab a couple friends to hop in one, then go raid other planets.

Aegix Drakan
02-09-2014, 11:00 PM
A friend of mine got me starbound for christmas.

While I had a LOT of fun with it over the break it's DEFINITELY still Beta.

I actually stopped playing it completely for the time being. I'm not going to even consider playing it again until they put in a modsbanned settable checkpoint system.

I mean, I was playing an Avian, right? And then I found a village of my fellow Grounded on some desert world. And I would have moved in right next door if I could have. But the village was a good 5-8 minutes of running and jumping over cliffs from where my ship's teleporter drops me. That kind of flaw basically killed it for me. At least until they give me a method to let me set where I beam down to or something similar.

Shadowblazer
02-11-2014, 11:38 AM
I mean, I was playing an Avian, right? And then I found a village of my fellow Grounded on some desert world. And I would have moved in right next door if I could have. But the village was a good 5-8 minutes of running and jumping over cliffs from where my ship's teleporter drops me. That kind of flaw basically killed it for me. At least until they give me a method to let me set where I beam down to or something similar.
Yeah, I really hope they do this as well. I can't count the number of times I've found some really cool geography to build on or nice village to improve and make my own, but on the other side of the planet from the beam down point.