PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic on Android

yoelchris
02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
http://armageddongames.net/images/smilies/newbie.gif

how about a Zelda classic app for Android, what do you think ???

CJC
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't know... the intensive nature of quest construction would make portability sort of moot, since mobile applications are usually quick distractions and ZQuest eats hours like candy. I also think there are compatibility issues with the current programming platform that ZQuest is built on (If... after open-sourcing, the program could be reconstructed on say a Java platform, the portability of both code and the devices that run it would be improved greatly).

I am likely in the minority, though, as many people (including the head Administrator of this forum) have expressed interest in a more portable form of the program.

Gleeok
02-07-2014, 07:20 PM
ZC on android basically means ZC on wii, psp, OUYA, etc. for anyone wondering. The difficult part is the initial port to anything else using anything other than allegro. The three options that have come up (that are viable) for this in the future are:
* Switch to SDL
* Write an allegro4x to 5 gfx/packfile wrapper layer.
* Write a zc API wrapper layer similar to above, with a back-end for things like SDL or OpenGL.

Any one of these is a rather large task and we'd need quite a few volunteers to get it working.

SUCCESSOR
02-09-2014, 05:30 AM
http://armageddongames.net/images/smilies/newbie.gif

how about a Zelda classic app for Android, what do you think ???

Welcome. I think it is a great idea! Unfortunately, as is always the case, porting ZC is a nightmare. You can see Gleeok's post for the details. I personally think that whatever the amount of work getting ZC 2.5 on android would be the best achievement we could hope for at this stage. If only just to offer the ability to play quests on a mobile device. Though, android has taken over all sorts of devices so ZQ wouldn't necessarily go unused.

The bottom line: we need a few capable and willing people to do it.
Gleeok, You didn't mention the cheap method. Building a DOS version and using DOSBox.

yoelchris
02-10-2014, 05:48 AM
maybe just only the ZC, not ZQ........ :D

King Aquamentus
02-21-2014, 09:39 AM
this would be nice but any time anyone brings it up I have to laugh. No.

SUCCESSOR
02-21-2014, 06:16 PM
All it takes is someone willing to put in the work, better yet a few. The important question is where the hell did AlexMax go?