PDA

View Full Version : Why do you guys even bother?

ekolis
02-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Surely you all know that Square Enix loves to sue fan game creators out of existence. Sorry to rain on your parade, and sorry if this has been discussed a million times before, but why do you even bother?

Ventus
02-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Because the developer can... Can't get much more simple then that and also FFC has been in development for some time now and I don't SE is even going to bother with it.

SUCCESSOR
02-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Also, Gleeok can easily drop the FF out of FFC and just make an original game,

Gleeok
02-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Technically it's not a fan game, it is a generic 2D game and rpg engine written in c++ that, in the very least, is capable of generating an rpg game in the style of FF1 with little effort. It just so happens I'm using the copyrighted sprites and other assets for learning, testing, and other educational purposes. ;) I am also not selling or distributing them, and if we manage to make significant progress on it then I can just swap out any placeholder art for original.

It's also fun. (Most of the time)

ekolis
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Oh, nice. I didn't realize it was more of a game engine than a remake of Final Fantasy. So basically a free (maybe open-source?) version of RPG Maker?

Ventus
02-02-2014, 01:54 AM
So basically a free (maybe open-source?) version of RPG Maker?

I think that pretty much sums it up though I don't know about the open source. :P

Gleeok
02-02-2014, 03:14 AM
It's been open source from the beginning. (No one reads the stickies I guess...)

SUCCESSOR
02-02-2014, 03:44 AM
It's been open source from the beginning. (No one reads the stickies I guess...)

No one reads anything.

Ventus
02-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Well never seen the stickies... I don't really pay attention to stuff at all. -_-

King Aquamentus
02-02-2014, 11:21 AM
They way you worded the thread makes it sound a little like you're trying to discourage us.

ekolis
02-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Yes, actually I was. Not in the sense of "make you feel depressed about the project", though - more in the sense of "hey, guys, don't waste your time; your hopes will be dashed years down the road."

ShadowTiger
02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
You could say the same thing about life itself. You're guaranteed to die, so why bother?

Anyone here can fill in any number of reasons why some sort of bother must be undertaken where necessary, desired, and appropriate.

SUCCESSOR
02-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes, actually I was. Not in the sense of "make you feel depressed about the project", though - more in the sense of "hey, guys, don't waste your time; your hopes will be dashed years down the road."

It was more like, "Are you stupid? Don't you know this is stupid?" It would be good to learn a little people skills and tact. Generally people don't undertake endeavors without knowing the knowing full well what they are getting into.

ekolis
02-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Sorry :( Sadly I'm not very good at that sort of thing. Trust me, I try...

edit: and yes, I do believe life is basically pointless; I've attempted suicide numerous times in the past.

CJC
02-02-2014, 11:43 PM
When learning or brushing up on a skill, it helps to use an existing work as a jumping board. Painters do this by producing copies of the old masters, and FFC could be construed as the programming equivalent.

While a company can copyright artwork (and music), a game mechanic cannot be patented (no matter how hard Wizards of the Coast may try). Even if Square hands down a C&D, Gleeok can simply strip out the copywritten components and the grounds for lawsuit would evaporate. In a way FFC has an even easier means of doing this due to the way it is being programmed (and would be even easier if it had a different name, like Catastrophe).