PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for new forums?

ShadowTiger
01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
As a bunch of people were discussing in this thread (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?96088-For-those-that-don-t-believe-how-bumping-AGN-used-to-be), it may not be a completely horrible idea to create a few new forums. I really don't care if they are inactive. They'll just kinda sit there, sure, but there will be a place for a topic that will never feel "out of place" by having to be funneled into General Discussion or something.

Having a lot of forums creates the idea in the back of your head that you may have had something you wanted to discuss about that particular concept whenever you pass that forum for that concept. It opens the door for the idea and welcomes you inside, proverbially speaking.

Couldn't hurt, really. Let's make more forums.

Here's a growing list of the ideas gathered from posts below, as well as a few of my own ideas here and there.

Tabletop Games
Do It Yourself
The return of AsSoWhGoLa. (If you have to ask, you're too young.)
Console Modding (Might be a bit iffy, legal-wise.)
RomHacking (This one's going to be tricky for the same reason.)

MasterSwordUltima
01-31-2014, 06:04 PM
I kinda wouldn't mind a Do-It-Yourself kinda sub-forum. I'll be damned if AGN is void of engineers or other like-minded folks. I can see that harboring topics from building computers, to car parts, to photography, to cosplay, and especially foodstuffs.

Gleeok
01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I kinda wouldn't mind a Do-It-Yourself kinda sub-forum.

I believe we had that forum before. It was called "ASWGL"... zing! :nerd:

MasterSwordUltima
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
ASWGL Volume 2.

Oh, and this song plays in the background whenever you go in there. Whether you have flash installed or not, it just plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxD_7S7bl8k

And everybody gets a complimentary AGN cowboy hat and a case of PBR.

And a pack of Black & Milds.

ShadowTiger
01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I would actually also like to see another ASWGL. The way I see it, there are a number of ways to "break a person in" on the internet. Posting in GB would shatter your innocence in a way that would traumatize you, and being in ASWGL would shatter your innocence in not nearly as unforgiving a fashion. Posting in the Think Tank would shatter your self-confidence occasionally, thinking that you know everything and are aware of how reality works, yet it would quickly become apparent that google is your only friend, and an estranged one at that.

I miss all that. I really do. At least the last two. :P

Mercy
01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I believe we had that forum before. It was called "ASWGL"... zing! :nerd:
You may be confusing ASWGL with my avatars.

My vote should be obvious by now. I am up for a DIY forum if it gives me a replacement for the EaTS forum so I can post my noms again. Still not sure why that had to go with the last prune, but then even I stayed away when the spam-bots and virus warnings got too much.

Mercy
01-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Posting in GB would shatter your innocence in a way that would traumatize you..,
Double-posting to point out, there were no innocents in GB.

ShadowTiger
01-31-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm probably going to bring that back. At minimum, as a sub-forum of something.

I mean I'd really like to see as many new posting areas as possible enter the field for consideration, just so that we can toy around with them in our collective minds, and see how everything works together. I know some people will have the opinion that more forums filters topics away from one forum or other, but that's not that big of a price to pay, really. General Discussion isn't ever going anywhere, because there are some topics that you just can't place as easily.

One thing we're probably going to have to do is to write stickied topics in each (new, maybe old) forum to illustrate what will be going on in that forum that won't be going on in another. I can really appreciate it when the staff go out of their way to ensure that the inevitable chaotic post-storms are as controlled as possible in case someone gets all self-conscious and wants to know if they're posting in the right place. God bless 'em.

Double-posting to point out, there were no innocents in GB. Haha, right, right. I still remember when I quoted something you said to me and said "You're going to hell for saying that" almost a decade ago. I'm still kicking myself for that. I don't remember the context. Not sure if I'd care to.

With age comes wisdom. It can't come fast enough.

MasterSwordUltima
01-31-2014, 06:45 PM
I assumed the Veldt was pretty much GB reincarnate. Is this not the case? Or at least, a T for Teens version?

ShadowTiger
01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
I feel like the Veldt is always "about" to be GB. It's like an episode of Three Stooges. People can get pissed, but nobody ever actually dies where people can see it.

Mercy
01-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Haha, right, right. I still remember when I quoted something you said to me and said "You're going to hell for saying that" almost a decade ago. I'm still kicking myself for that. I don't remember the context. Not sure if I'd care to.
Meh, if I end up in hell, it will definitely not be for anything I ever posted in GB. 'Tis all just words on a screen, or the wayback machine, in the end.

The Veldt is more Rock Bottom than GB. I just cannot bring myself to waste good rants in a place called, "The Veldt," and no one left around here is naive enough to start any topics worth ridiculing in there, anyway.

I have been working on some good material vis-a-vis Yankees who lost their minds over a piddly hurricane-turned-tropical-storm-when-it-landed bashing Southerners for not trying to drive on suddenly iced over roads. Nothing against Yankees but y'all need to look in a mirror once in a while and stop fighting a war you already won. I hate myself a little for using, "y'all."

MasterSwordUltima
01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Seriously, it has been around 0F with at the minimum 2" of snow on the ground here since december, and somehow we have not all died. It was rather refreshing walking outside today with a high of 17F to have a smoke; only needed one jacket. [shrug]

Ventus
01-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Here's some forum ideas...

Console Modding - for Discussing Modding Video game Consoles.
RomHacking - You know Rom Hacking discussion (No rom's of course)

Can't really think of any others but its a thought. :P

SUCCESSOR
02-01-2014, 04:22 AM
ASWGL and EaTS got the cut because of lack of use. I really liked both forums. I dont really care for more unused forums but I like the DIY idea.

Chris Miller
02-01-2014, 04:45 PM
I like the DIY and rom hacking forum ideas. Nothing's going to happen to AGN for having a rom hacking forum. They haven't taken down romhacking.net yet.

Mercy
02-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Nothing's going to happen to AGN for having a rom hacking forum. They haven't taken down romhacking.net yet.
Yeah, 'cause if it has not happened to one particular site yet, it will never happen to any other sites. That's some lovely propositional fallacy there, Lou.

I do not really care one way or another if people want to talk about rom hacking. Knowing the types that said topic attracts, I suspect a forum for such will end in tears. Bonus schadenfreude if the script-kiddies or lawyers come after the site!

And before anyone goes getting their knickers in a knot, I am not accusing any of our current members of being antisocial, neck-bearded, script-kiddies, unworthy of wiping Mitnick's arse, so they go out of their way to destroy as they cannot actually create anything worthwhile. But that does seem to be the prevailing audience of most rom hacking sites that are not merely malware purveyors. Never mind how I have come by the knowledge to form that opinion.

Chris Miller
02-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Given the fact that Nintendo hasn't seen fit to slap a C&D order on Zelda Classic in the last fourteen years, whereas other products have landed their developers such a thing for far less, it's not such a fallacy. Perhaps it was a stretch to say it could never happen, but it is unlikely. (http://www.tampax.com/)

Aegix Drakan
02-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah, bringing back ASWGL sounds great. I was kinda surprised to see it no longer existing when I loaded AGN up this morning.

SUCCESSOR
02-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Yeah, bringing back ASWGL sounds great. I was kinda surprised to see it no longer existing when I loaded AGN up this morning.

I don't have any problem with the forum being reopened, but it was closed due to inactivity. Do you really think it will be any more active now?

Nightmare
02-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm lobbying for a streaming/Let's Play forum. This is so people can show off their quests and their other video game accomplishments and not be limited to like one thread.

I know our userbase is small, but it might help us grow.

-James

Mercy
02-18-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm lobbying for a streaming/Let's Play forum. This is so people can show off their quests and their other video game accomplishments and not be limited to like one thread.
'Seems a little meager and redundant for a whole forum. Wouldn't gaming videos/streams go in VGD or ZCD? No reason to limit them to just one thread within said forums, but an entire forum seems like a low-traffic waste unless we were expecting a plethora of new video threads daily. It could just be the other game sites I spend time on; video threads are usually few and far between.

ASWGL was about the time and AGN population of that time. We had more females and a bunch of regulars who had not known much of anything about the opposite gender and more of an extended-friends-and-family atmosphere. Of course sex and naughty talk are always favorites so a new red light forum might catch on but ASWGL is like our childhoods: long gone and best viewed through the haze of sentimentality.

SUCCESSOR
02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
'Seems a little meager and redundant for a whole forum. Wouldn't gaming videos/streams go in VGD or ZCD? No reason to limit them to just one thread within said forums, but an entire forum seems like a low-traffic waste unless we were expecting a plethora of new video threads daily. It could just be the other game sites I spend time on; video threads are usually few and far between.

ASWGL was about the time and AGN population of that time. We had more females and a bunch of regulars who had not known much of anything about the opposite gender and more of an extended-friends-and-family atmosphere. Of course sex and naughty talk are always favorites so a new red light forum might catch on but ASWGL is like our childhoods: long gone and best viewed through the haze of sentimentality.

I agree completely. I know Liveplays are pretty popular these days, but I think they can go in VGD and ZCD. Both of those forums could use that activity.

Same with ASWGL. Coming back to AGN in my mid 20s the ASWGL lacked any draw but nostaglia. If we had a booming younger userbase I would support it coming back.

Aegix Drakan
02-18-2014, 05:37 PM
I don't have any problem with the forum being reopened, but it was closed due to inactivity. Do you really think it will be any more active now?

XD I highly doubt it. Maybe it's best left closed.

XMuppetSB
02-18-2014, 06:32 PM
You know, when the bug forums were moved from the ZC Development category to the Zelda Classic category, the following bug categories just disappeared altogether: Bugs From Old Betas (not that it matters), Bugs in Limbo (not like this matters either), Quarantined Bugs, and Exterminated Bugs. But to be honest, the only problem I have with the absence of the Quarantined and Exterminated Bug categories is that, now we have no place to put any of those bug reports that have been labeled as fixed or not a bug, and it just clutters up all the bug categories that still exist today.

SUCCESSOR
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
You know, when the bug forums were moved from the ZC Development category to the Zelda Classic category, the following bug categories just disappeared altogether: Bugs From Old Betas (not that it matters), Bugs in Limbo (not like this matters either), Quarantined Bugs, and Exterminated Bugs. But to be honest, the only problem I have with the absence of the Quarantined and Exterminated Bug categories is that, now we have no place to put any of those bug reports that have been labeled as fixed or not a bug, and it just clutters up all the bug categories that still exist today.

These were deamed unnecessary. If we have a sudden explosion of bug reports and find a need for those then maybe one or both may come back. Bugs that are quarantined or exterminated can be labeled so in the title or in a reply.

CJC
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
The one new forum I'd like to see under the General category is Table Games. It can be a catch all for everything from Advanced Dungeons and Dragons to Zombies!!!!. By which I mean, everything that is a game that isn't digital in nature.

General entertainment fits fine in General Discussion and Video Games get plenty of love, but we have a distinct lack of discussion for non-digital content that I think could benefit from a separate subforum.

ShadowTiger
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
General entertainment fits fine in General Discussion and Video Games get plenty of love, but we have a distinct lack of discussion for non-digital content that I think could benefit from a separate subforum. This was my general thought stream as well for a time. I still want to think of something that nobody would think to post in GD, that when made visible and a place put right under peoples' noses, they'll think "Wait, I have something to talk about on this general subject!"