PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Classic

CJC
01-30-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm working on an adaptation of the Classic tileset, combining the excellent sprite talents of King Aquamentus and FYS with my own endeavors and an improved environment; all without deviating (too much) from the three-color scheme.

This set I'm working on goes off the assumption that an engine could draw a sprite of another CSet on top of one already on screen. Also, enemies have been adjusted to be anatomically proportionate to Link and the angle of player perception has been adjusted to prevent weird perspective issues these new sprites would face (and have faced) in the classic setup.

Attached to this post is a quick snapshot of the dungeon tiles, which are designed to look like a diorama.

I'm 90% done with the graphics for this thing; I've just got to work out how to get the mountains to be more detailed without losing the simple elegance of the classic style.

ShadowTiger
01-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow. I mean, wow. In a way, that's terrifying and formidable to look at. I'm really not sure what to think of that. It's simultaneously brilliant, partially abstract, and yet it feels like something that simply should not be.

I remember C-Dawg's Sabotage Dragoon attempted a similar thing with the side and bottom walls, and it turned out well enough. It wasn't done to such an extreme as this, though.

MasterSwordUltima
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Paper Legend of Zelda! I get that late NES era hidden gems game feel from this. And I dig it.

SUCCESSOR
02-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Friggun awesome! When do I get to play with it?

Gleeok
02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
That's actually pretty dang good.
Will there be an alternate left/right wall that can be on the tile instead of a 1/2 tile? (For NES dungeon types)

CJC
02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
ShadowTiger
I'm going to take the compliment (and ignore the nagging fear that it should not be). Thank you!

MasterSwordUltima & SUCCESSOR
Glad you like it! Right now I'm in the process of converting my dungeons to the new style, I've finished the first. Once I've finished my run of the dungeons I'll move to the Overworld. I'm still trying to work out my difficulties with the mountains; I may end up just going with the classic (or near-classic) mountains for the 5th re-skin and make something more sophisticated for a later project.
I'll attach more screenshots to this thread as I go along.

Gleeok
Actually the half-tile walls are there to ensure that the overhead functions properly with classic dungeon styles. As created the set is compatible with door combo sets. When I originally had it flush with the 3rd combo from left, Link would stand on top of the doorframe (due to its reduced perspective).

Link can't walk on the half-tiles; I've also made a 'half block' to make the visual solidity more apparent, but I'm only using it on certain screens. Since classic dungeon maps and classic movement restrict Link's direction when he is within two combos of the walls, being able to walk on these tiles would make moving uncomfortable at the edge of the screen.

CJC
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Okay! I've finished the graphics overhaul. I'm not happy with the overworld but there's only so much that can be done without layers.

Here's a few snapshots of Level 1 to tide you guys over until I've prepared a full screenshot complement for release.