PDA

View Full Version : Dental Stuff

mrz84
12-31-2013, 01:36 PM
I just got back from my first dental appointment since I was 20(ish) and after having insurance for the first time in about a decade.
Had 2 infected teeth pulled and need to go back on the 13th next month for the ones on the other side of the mouth.
I also have some that need fillings once that's all healed. Overall, I am glad I did this now over later when it could have been much worse.
Anyway, yay on being back on track to healthy(ish) teeth.

Dechipher
01-06-2014, 12:56 AM
How common is that? I haven't been since I was 17 and got a replacement tooth put in.

No insurance, so no dentist...

MasterSwordUltima
01-06-2014, 01:03 AM
I went last year (when I had insurance for a short while) after a 5 or so year hiatus. I had two teeth shot out at a re-enactment, which the dentist was somehow confused about when my X-rays came out peculiar. Also between crohn's disease and smoking, it's a miracle I still have enamel left, regardless of brushing.

Gleeok
01-07-2014, 03:57 AM
I had two teeth shot out at a re-enactment

Wait.. back.the.fup.
Can you quantify that?

On the topic of dentists: I still hate going to the dentist. Last time I went (first time in 10 years) I basically flipped a coin on whether or not to pull a tooth or get a crown.

Aliem
01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I haven't been to the dentist in nearly 7 years... I am terrified to go back because of what they'll have to do. I'm certain I'll have to get at the very least, two root canals, and at worst a couple teeth pulled.

King Aquamentus
01-07-2014, 11:17 AM
the side of one of my teeth got cracked open a few years ago and I work diligently to keep stuff out of it (though it is difficult.) I'll have to go too.

MasterSwordUltima
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Wait.. back.the.fup.
Can you quantify that?

"Blanks" still have a powder charge. The only difference is that they usually do not actually fire a projectile. Shotgun shells still scatter a small amount of debris. Have a fairly new guy fire a shotgun very close to you, and you get shot in the face. This individual was standing next to me, shooting in the same direction I was also. If that makes sense.

ctrl-alt-delete
01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
I've never had a cavity even after a four or five year hiatus from the time I moved out of my parents until I got dental insurance.

I am at high risk of periodontal disease due to genetics, but with discipline and diligence I should be able to stave it off.

My wife and I have orthodontic consults this Thursday--time to have that Hollywood smile.

SUCCESSOR
01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
"Blanks" still have a powder charge. The only difference is that they usually do not actually fire a projectile. Shotgun shells still scatter a small amount of debris. Have a fairly new guy fire a shotgun very close to you, and you get shot in the face. This individual was standing next to me, shooting in the same direction I was also. If that makes sense.

I have a similar story. Except it involves a plastic cup and an angry woman.114

VEL
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I haven't been to the dentist in....over 15 years.... I do have insurance I just hate going there. I have two wisdom teeth in, and a third starting to emerge. I'll probably need to get at least one of those out, it came in really crooked and food and stuff gets stuck there alot.

mrz84
01-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Got 2 fillings today...it involved lasers. Seriously. I didn't know they did that now. Kinda have a burnt taste in my mouth afterwards.

MasterSwordUltima
01-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Isn't the laser used to heat up the filling material? They used some kinda heat gun for mine, and I went to swallow my saliva that always seems to gathers in my throat when I'm at the dentist, and she accidentally burned my tongue.

Aegix Drakan
02-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I had 5 cavities a few months back...Cost a LOT to get 'em fixed. Especially since my student insurance didn't cover most of it. :s

And I just got a retainer to fix my overlapping front teeth. I SHOULD be able to claim it on my mom's insurance from her work since my school insurance doesn't cover it.

I REALLY hope it's covered. A thousand motherfreaking bucks. My bank has been blown. ;_;