PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a LÖVE port? Name suggestions?

luabunny
12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
For those unfamiliar with it, LÖVE (https://love2d.org/)is a free and open-source game creation engine whose API is entirely in lua 51. With the very recent release of their version 0.9.0 , it seems a good time to test what it (and i) can do.

It's not my goal to recreate ZC 1:1, but to meet the same goals: a system to play, extend and enjoy zelda. For that reason, no attempts will be made to match the existing Zelda Classic's features or standards. The resulting port would not run existing quests, and would have some important design differences, including but not limited to:
* Lua scripting and save structures
* Innate server-client design model, with only minimal features forcing single-player
* Integrated editor and player
* In-application updater, quest downloader and community features.

SUCCESSOR
12-16-2013, 05:21 PM
It's not my goal to recreate ZC 1:1, but to meet the same goals: a system to play, extend and enjoy zelda. For that reason, no attempts will be made to match the existing Zelda Classic's features or standards. The resulting port would not run existing quests, and would have some important design differences, including but not limited to:
* Lua scripting and save structures
* Innate server-client design model, with only minimal features forcing single-player
* Integrated editor and player
* In-application updater, quest downloader and community features.

So not so much a port but a simple clone with LUA scripting?

Zim
01-15-2014, 02:50 AM
Seems like a fun idea. The limited Single Player line sounded enticing, possible multiplayer options for gameplay is fun.

I moved this out of ZC Discussion due to this being about not about ZC particularly.

King Aquamentus
01-16-2014, 12:08 AM
LUA scripted Zelda 1? could hit an audience that wouldn't be interested in ZC itself. Seems like a good idea to me

Aliem
02-06-2014, 12:16 AM
I've recently started playing around with Love2D myself. I quite like it, though I really wish spritesheet animation was possible without extra libraries.

I'm still pretty new to LUA, but it seems really straight forward. I'd be down with helping out here and there! I've been fucking around with a kirby-like platformer idea, but would ultimately like to graduate to a LoZesque action RPG.

luabunny
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Oh hey, replies! I'll hammer out an early version then, and see where it goes from there.