PDA

View Full Version : Theory: Zelda Wii U may be a Majora's Mask sequel?

BtjCraft
12-08-2013, 12:22 AM
There is a 99.999% chance that you know of "Operation Moonfall", which is a group trying to convince Nintendo to make a Majora's Mask remake, or at least the knowledge that a large sum of people in the Zelda community want a MM remake. I , personally, LOVE Majora's Mask and is my 2nd favorite game of all time(behind Chrono Trigger), and I too wanted a remake. But recently, I lost interest in a remake because I felt it would probably have changes similar to Ocarina of Time's, which therefore wouldn't bring in anything new, and the fact that we most likely won't be seeing one until the next Nintendo console(if we get a remake at all). But this gave me a new desire for a sequel to MM, something that would bring plenty of new things. But with Nintendo's recent interest in flooding us with MM references, everyone is really fired up for a remake.

Recently, when I was looking through the latest Zelda Wii U stuff, my theory started to form, what if Zelda Wii U is actually going to be a sequel to MM? It seemed to make sense, since there is some evidence to back it up. Since Zelda Wii U is next on the list for Zelda, all of the MM references could hint to what the game could be MM related. Besides, Nintendo has been changing the Zelda series a lot lately, and MM is very different, so a sequel would suit this change, and the mission for Zelda Wii U is, "rethink the conventions of Zelda," and MM rethought those conventions.

Eiji Aonuma mentioned during a Nintendo Direct video stream that two particular concepts that Zelda Wii U will change are:

The way the player completes dungeons in a certain order
The fact that only one person can play the game at a time

Majora's Mask follows those guidelines like almost every other Zelda game, but unlike almost every other Zelda game, it's actually close to already having these changes. For the dungeons concept, it is actually possible to skip certain parts of the dungeons so you can go back to them later before the final boss. For Woodfall Temple, you only have to get the bow to move on to Snowhead, you don't have to beat the boss. You have to beat Snowhead Temple to be able to get the Powder Keg though, as you need it for getting Epona to enter the Great Bay. At Great Bay, you can skip the dungeon completely, because the hookshot that you get in the Pirate's Fortress is all you need to get into Ikana Canyon. Even if you don't want to abuse the fact that Nintendo didn't intend for you to use only the hookshot(since you are supposed to use the ice arrows for the octoroks), you only need the ice arrows from Great Bay Temple. Of course, you need to return to the skipped parts, but it would be like that too in Zelda Wii U. As for the single player concept, you have the ability to use the transformation masks to use a completely different type of Link, and since up to three masks are usable(not counting the Giant's Mask and the Fierce Deity's Mask), it suits the four-player tradition if a multiplayer concept was put in so multiple people can play as transformed Links to solve unique puzzles, unlike Four Swords where everyone has the same abilities to use. Since MM already supports changing these concepts, a sequel will have a good flow between the two for the changes.

With Nintendo getting flooded with questions about a Majora's Mask remake, I think that we are actually asking the wrong question. What if somebody asked about an MM sequel in an interview, what would Shigeru Miyamoto or Aonuma say? But, what if they knew that they were being asked the wrong question? Back in June this year, IGN got a chance to ask Miyamoto about the Majora's Mask remake, and referring to the people who wanted a MM remake, Miyamoto said, "well, they’re still in my memory." He could mean that he remembers these people because they probably won't get what they're asking for, but they would still get something they would want. Or, he could mean that he finds it rather amusing that people are still asking for a remake when they are setting up a sequel instead.

Since very little information has been released for Zelda Wii U, the possibility of an MM sequel is plausible, but it may not happen since Nintendo's main focus is to use new things, and a sequel may prevent some conventions from changing. But, what do you all think? Is there something I'm missing, or I does my theory seem to fit?

Dechipher
12-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Just to throw it out there, you could do the dungeons in different orders in LttP and Ocarina. And I think the original Zelda. So that wasn't necessarily exclusive to Majora's Mask. I would like to see a sequel though - if not literal then perhaps in spirit.

Zim
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Seems like I believe it'd be great to see some components unique to Majora's Mask thrown back into the mix with a new Zelda game, mainly the different character forms with the masks.

However, it does seem to me honestly that making a prequel or sequel to Majora's Mask wouldn't quite be right. Doing so would seem to take all the magic out of Termina, the town chronically and terminally doomed to a tragic fate every time the game is turned on.

I'm saying this because even when the game is won, Majora's final battle becomes a cakewalk, the game itself is still in the same state as when it's first turned on overall: Link wakes up and has 3 days to make the decision to go battle skull kid, or everybody dies.

Making a time line after this point in this realm would seem to take something away from that, and so would a prequel for some reason.

I'm not totally trashing on this idea, it's a decent idea, as MM is/was one of the best games ever.

What I would really like to see, and maybe some other people too, would be a souped up version of MM with even more timeline events, items, a completely new mask set, retaining the old ones too of course, bosses, areas, and whatever else might be crammable into Termina, even if it takes a complete overhaul of the maps to wedge in new exits and entrances to new areas. Sort of like the new places added to Chrono Trigger for the DS, with actually better and new graphics though instead of the same thing it was before rearranged to look like a new place.

mrz84
12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Whether a remake or a sequel, I'd get it day one. MM was/is my favorite of the Zelda games. I replay it from scratch every now and then.

SUCCESSOR
12-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Once again I started a reply on mobile and it died in a refresh. I agree that a MM sequel is just as likely as any Zelda but I doubt it will be. A lot of great features from MM have been included in other Zelda games but in disappointingly light forms: The wolf in TP, Skyloft was a less interesting Clock Town, etc.

What I really want from Zelda U is something fresh without the crap that makes modern Zelda games suck: highly linear gameplay, super easy dungeons, cliche Zelda "puzzle" bosses, puzzles a toddler could solve, *get these so you can get this then get these so you can go here and beat him*, padding for time with fetch chores and such, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. I've said it before Nintendo should hand off Zelda to someone else. Zelda should be about combat, exploration, and adventure yet these things seems to be an after thought or barely thought of at all.

Aliem
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I disagree with the notion that Zelda should be about combat; combat should be as simple as possible. OoT did it right, Wind Waker perfected it. Twilight Princess made it convoluted. Skyward Sword's mechanics, while I did enjoy the motion based sword play, probably won't inform Zelda Wii U's combat. Exploration and puzzle solving should be the top two ingredients in a Zelda game, I think. This is what Majora's Mask had going for it.

With all the references being made, as well as statements in interviews, I'd not be surprised if the next console installment is a sequel. I doubt Nintendo will make another game starring the Hero of Time, but it would be neat to see him return to Hyrule as an adult.

Above all else, though, the next console installment NEEDS to take notes from Between Worlds. The non linear dungeon design, while not original to Between Worlds, did it really well. Perhaps instead of being able to buy every item right away, though, provide some mini dungeons and side questlines to earn gear... But number one, the most important thing Zelda Wii U needs.... No fucking babysitters. No Navi, no Tatl, no Fi. Let us figure puzzles out on our own.

vegeta1215
12-12-2013, 11:12 AM
MM was fantastic and should be left alone in my opinion, (no storyline sequel) though I would love to see a 3D remake of MM in the vein of Ocarina of Time 3D. I'm pretty sure it's on the way - it'd be a relatively easy game to make that could tide fans over between now and the new Zelda game on Wii U. (which I don't thnk will be out before 2015)

travis.ross88
12-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Maybe a teaser in a future Wii U direct. But in the meantime, enjoy Wind Waker.

Aliem
12-14-2013, 05:56 AM
I dunno if we'll hear anything else on Zelda U till E3... But then, Nintendo's never really made any sense when it comes to announcing things: "And our big announcement for VGX that we've been hyping for a while is FUCKING CRANKY KONG AW YEAH SO HARDCORE!" =p

MasterSwordUltima
12-19-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm bumping this because this seems relevant.

So assuming that Hylian Warriors is not Zelda U - do we think it will be a supplemental game for Zelda U? Not unlike how Link's Crossbow Training was for Twilight Princess? I dig the blue scarf and more obscure outfits. Reminds me of LTTP/LA era. It really reminds me of NigSek, if anybody here is familiar with that.

SUCCESSOR
12-19-2013, 05:24 PM
So assuming that Hylian Warriors is not Zelda U

I believe they explicitly stated that it is not the next installment in the LoZ franchise.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-19-2013, 06:29 PM
^Correct. Game looks fun as hell though. Do we have any members that have played the Warriors games before?

MasterSwordUltima
12-20-2013, 05:12 AM
I've played vague bits of one of them. Never got into them, however the concept has always seemed neat to me.

As far as Hylian Warriors...Hyrule Warriors, whichever (I've read it called both, so I dunno at this point) - I've been looking forward to hearing more about the history of Hyrule's civil war for a few years now. Hylian Knights actually doing something. (Now I know the Civil War was the precursor to OoT, so this is most likely not that.) The larger scale warfare, which I assumed would be happening during bouts of Ganon returning, being addressed as it should be. Not stashing grunts in dungeons, but actively sending them out - similar to how it was in Twilight Princess at times.

Aliem
12-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Interesting you bring this up. I dunno if anyone else read the Skyward Sword prequel manga (EDIT: I'm actually not sure if it's 100% cannon, but from what I understand it is. If it's not please lemme know so I can STOP LIVING THIS FUCKING LIE), but the Hyrule Warriors link is a carbon-copy of the 'original' Link from the Manga (the first knight of Hylia and original weilder of the Master Sword). If, in the absolutely impossible event, this title does take place in the timeline, my money's on it being the series of battles against Demise's armies thousands of years prior to the events in Skyward Sword.

Though, smart money is on it being a one-off non sequitor, like Soul Calibur II Link.

mrz84
12-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I've played vague bits of one of them. Never got into them, however the concept has always seemed neat to me.

As far as Hylian Warriors...Hyrule Warriors, whichever (I've read it called both, so I dunno at this point) - I've been looking forward to hearing more about the history of Hyrule's civil war for a few years now. Hylian Knights actually doing something. (Now I know the Civil War was the precursor to OoT, so this is most likely not that.) The larger scale warfare, which I assumed would be happening during bouts of Ganon returning, being addressed as it should be. Not stashing grunts in dungeons, but actively sending them out - similar to how it was in Twilight Princess at times.

This. I actually made a similar statement on the official trailer video on Nintendo's youtube channel.