PDA

View Full Version : [5th Quest Entry] Sylph

Sylph
11-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I am so behind on schedule. Still, it's here, finally: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i33c2uad0aq2gyd/Sylph5thQuestU01.rar I hope it's still a valid submission, even though I'm technically a couple of hours past.

I'll work a bit more on the overworld screens while I still can (i.e. while I can still keep my eyes open). Didn't want to skip on submitting just because my overworld could still use some work.

...I really need to get some rest. I've been up for roughly 34 hours now. I'll put up a proper description and start bug-fixing when I wake up (it's bound to have several, considering how sleepy I am at the moment...). Night, guys. *collapses*

EDIT: Updated the link. Apparently I was even more sleepy than I had expected: had completely forgotten to set the warps for the Potion or Heart Container rooms. It's been done. I'm still missing a lot of Secret Money and Door Repair rooms, but I'm just too exhausted right now to continue.

Imzogelmo
11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the party.

CJC
12-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Nethis
12-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Really enjoying your quest! I love how much the shops have changed in both location and items offered. The new dungeon room layouts are also nice. Giving Link a little pocket change to start was a great idea. So far I have finished Levels 1 and 2.

I want to alert you to a few bugs I found along the way:
1. In the Level 2 item cellar, the black background combos aren't right. Link can walk up off the ground near the item.
2. The old men on overworld screens 44 and 74 say the same thing.
3. Link can't walk into the cave on overworld screen 34.
4. Some strings have no sound as they play. Others (like the money-making game string) do. If you removed the sfx on purpose, I'd recommend adding music to those caves. The silence is strange.
5. When the exploding Rope charges, its sprite turns into a Gleeok head.
6. Overworld screens 1A and 1F have empty caves.

Nightmare
12-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Can't get the key out of Lv. 1: The Stalfos always appears across the river and I don't have a ladder.

-James

Three Pendants
12-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Alright then, I liked your username so I decided to give a pledge to you for the 5th Quest Contest. Let's see what's new about your iteration of the classic quest...

Hmm, starting with 60 Rupees? An interesting change.

Interesting shop... Magic Shield, Raft, and Book of all things! Quite creative.

(Stumbles into Level 2) Interesting location...

Wizzrobes...?

Ah, leveled down Custom Wizzrobes. Alright then.

A lot of passageways I've noticed...

A Windrobe in Level 2, a bit harsh.

Blue Candle, eh... I guess it's something.

Manhandla Resists Bombs now eh? Nice to know.

Dungeon is shaped like a Cross, hmm...

Wizzrobes in a Trap Room, a bit dastardly for Level 2.

Wizzrobes in one tile wide corridors? A bit much for Level 2....

(Fights Dodongos, while doing so blows open shotcut) Hah... interesting idea there.

Lying old man... took a hit more, but Manhandla was still susceptible to Bombs. (I am amazed I pulled that off with 3 Hearts!)

Overall it was an interesting dungeon. You have it set up in a way that backtracking isn't so bad with shortcuts and neat little things like that.

Raft Purchased!

(First Raft Spot - Medicine Lady) Oh...

Nothing in the waterfall? How peculiar.

Two of the same shop with Raft/Shield/Book? Takes away from the novelty of it a bit.

(Burns a bush finds secret stairs... find Nothing Inside!) Huh?! Was this intentional?

(Blows up a wall at the base of the ladder before old Level 2. Finds Level 3) Hah.

(Sees the place is populated by Darknuts and Gibdos) ...Maybe I should try to find the White Sword before I do that...

I should turn my heart into flames... eh?

(Stumbles upon Level 1) ...Very well then.

Exploding Ropes... Well, whatever works.

And there's the Bow at least.

Rather clever way to get the key. Because there is water separating the two areas the player may think they need to get the Ladder (which they could use also) but as its the first dungeon the intention seems to be that you're supposed to blow the wall up from the other side.

Blue Aquamentus with shots that hurt 1 Heart and shooters as well... oy...

How much HP does this thing have? I hit at least 10 times...

I died so many times that by just killing the Ropes on the way back I got enough money to buy the Magical Shield. Was this the intention?

(Enters Tree by Dungeon... there's Absolutely Nothing inside!) Grr...

(Kills Blue Aquamentus) Finally! He was simple with the Magical Shield.

(Goes to place where White Sword is ordinarily obtained.) Nothing... absolutely nothing.

Well I think that's enough for now. My search for the White Sword will have to commence another time.

Three Pendants
12-27-2013, 10:50 PM
So I found a secret entrance in the place where the Blue Ring is normally found, with a Bomb... only one problem... I can't actually go in to the door.

(Back to Level 3 with Wooden Sword) This isn't so bad, I have a Magical Shield... and Bombs...

Oh hey! Yes, I'd like to upgrade my Bombs, thank you.

Oh! Well I'm glad I saved up my money then... (Pays 50 Rupees not to lose a Heart Container)

Wait a second... Pols Voice, Bow, what is wrong with me?! (Goes back to earn 80 Rupees for Arrows... from some shop)

(Burns all of the area with the two Armos Statue at the Dead End, finds nothing) Grr...

Hints:

-20 "Not Enough"

-40 "Dark Squares Block Arrows" ????

-60 "You should write a Letter Home"

Thanks for the Waste of Rupees!

(After hours of searching, does not find the normal shop) Maybe I imagined it...?

(Goes back into Level 3 makes it into a room filled with Darknuts and 1 tile passages facing vertically) Yeah... I think I'm probably supposed to have the White Sword by now.

Honestly this dungeon is tremendously unbalanced, I'm not sure if I imagined a normal shopkeeper and without a clear direction on where to go (since it seems the Overworld lost most of its secrets and when I do random bomb there's nothing in the room or the entrance doesn't actually work...) I'm going to have to take a break until a more complete version of this is finished.

Nightmare
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Giving a NC here. Very buggy.

-James